Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,172 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looks like a good saw log or two in that burn pile.
Sadly, with all of the Ash trees coming down in this area for the last few years, everyone is awash in nice sized saw logs. Can't hardly give them away and I'm fresh out of projects / uses for them.

Reactions: Mackford13 and Kbar

·
Registered
153 Posts
In another thread, I’m learning about diverters and FEL mounted snow plows.

The topic of grapples came up.

My game plan for next winter is a FEL-mounted plow with manual angle and the ability to receive a hydraulic angling kit in the future. For a variety of reasons too lengthy to get into now, I’m ok with a manual angle plow for a bit.

The thread conversation has me thinking of all I can do with a grapple.

Notably, remove sectioned trees I’ve dropped and piles of brush.

I’m thinking as an interim, a set of forks will be more efficient at moving those types of things than a FEL bucket, yes?

And once I have a diverter and grapple, I’m sure there’s plenty for the forks to do....?

Am I thinking in the right direction here?
Thinking in the right direction, IMO.
Had the forks for a few years, but balancing logs, brush piles, and trees was a game to get it just right..
The game changer was when I added "The Thumb" to the forks. Have it plumbed into my 3rd SCV but think a 12v linear actuator with 1000 lb force would be adequate to hold logs and brush on the forks, and easier to "plumb" without the hyd. hose connections.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
Since I cannot afford a grapple,
But not all of us have the "Grapple Cash" so we use the "Poor Man's Grapple", pallet forks.

Yeah right, whatever you say Mr. Rockefeller.

If you think a grapple is in your future, do yourself a huge favor and look really hard at the Artilian system built off their fork frame.
You will need some cash to do that. I know because that is what I did.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat. Use the tools you have till you get the tools you want. Grapples are the cat's meow.

I do a lot of brush and a good deal of that is in the woods. Hilly, bumpy, and often narrow. Once I have it in the grapple, very, very little ever gets away until I press the little button.

Forks are a great multipurpose implement and you will always have a use for them.

Grapples are more of a specialized tool and they cost a bit more. If you have enough work to warrant the cost you'll be very glad to have a grapple.

Start with the forks. If you get to the point of "I'm tired of this....bleep bleep brush", start looking for a grapple. If you never get to that point, you have some extra cash for something else.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts