Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, just finished watching the season opener! Congrats to Niko and McLaren! Ricciardo drove great, doing better then fellow Australian Weber ever did at home, and the 21 year old rookie Magnussen takes third, what a drive for him!

Poor Massa taken out from behind by Kobayashi in his first drive for Williams, not sure why but I have always liked Felipe and rooted for him.

The new 1.6L turbocharged V6 engines limited to 15,000 RPM sure do sound different from years past.

Reliability seems to be a real issue so far, taking out both Vettel and Hamilton in the first couple laps, and many other retirements along the way.

It's going to be a great season!

·
Administrator
20,665 Posts
Darn....Should would've liked to have seen that....:gaah:

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just read that Daniel Ricciardo was DQ'd for exceeding maximum fuel flow of 100kg/h! He has got to be heartbroken!

Formula 1® - The Official F1® Website

Official results:

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
Wow, just finished watching the season opener! Congrats to Niko and McLaren! Ricciardo drove great, doing better then fellow Australian Weber ever did at home, and the 21 year old rookie Magnussen takes third, what a drive for him!

Poor Massa taken out from behind by Kobayashi in his first drive for Williams, not sure why but I have always liked Felipe and rooted for him.

The new 1.6L turbocharged V6 engines limited to 15,000 RPM sure do sound different from years past.

Reliability seems to be a real issue so far, taking out both Vettel and Hamilton in the first couple laps, and many other retirements along the way.

It's going to be a great season!
Can you translate this to "redneck".:lol:

·
Administrator
20,665 Posts

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you translate this to "redneck".:lol:
Some of the overpriced hi-tech cars went fast, some broke down cause they are so darn complicated. The new motors sound stupid now with the slower rev's and turbo. One guy got rear-ended cause the other guy went to fast and forgot where the brake was. The dude who got second place was busted back cause his car used gas to fast.
The rednecks got all confused when the cars turned left and right and changed to the hunting channel.

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
Some of the overpriced hi-tech cars went fast, some broke down cause they are so darn complicated. The new motors sound stupid now with the slower rev's and turbo. One guy got rear-ended cause the other guy went to fast and forgot where the brake was. The dude who got second place was busted back cause his car used gas to fast.
The rednecks got all confused when the cars turned left and right and changed to the hunting channel.
Thanks ,now that made sense.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"Formula 1"? What did they do, stop at "Formula 409" and go back to "Formula 1"?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nothing to add.

I´m F1-fan for about 20 years now. Every now and then they changed something ridiculous in the regulations. But now they f...ed up everything! This is not racing anymore. Drivers are instructed by the engineers when to drive fast (actually never), when to save fuel, when to save tyres, when to look after electric power. The sound of the new 1.6 liter V6 turbo-engines is practically non-existent. For safety reasons the cars got frontwings which actually have to be pixelated because of their offensive appearance.

After this first one i think i will miss more than one race this season :thumbsdown:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I followed NASCAR for YEARS, but with all of the extra rules, and trying to gain "parity", etc., it isn't what it used to be. I don't think I watched a race, last year, at all. That "car of tomorrow" idea stinks. When I see the cars on the track, I want to be able to tell what make each is, without having to look for a decal! I loved it when it was Richard Petty, A.J. Foyt, Cale Yarborough, etc., dominating. If a team and driver can run a race, and be 10-20 laps ahead at the end, then kudos to them! That's racing, and will force the other teams to work harder. Now, the only NASCAR I would consider watching are the tracks like Bristol, where one can say, "Rubbin' is Racin'".

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
Now, I got it. All that and not one dented a fender. Thanks.:laugh:

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
I followed NASCAR for YEARS, but with all of the extra rules, and trying to gain "parity", etc., it isn't what it used to be. I don't think I watched a race, last year, at all. That "car of tomorrow" idea stinks. When I see the cars on the track, I want to be able to tell what make each is, without having to look for a decal! I loved it when it was Richard Petty, A.J. Foyt, Cale Yarborough, etc., dominating. If a team and driver can run a race, and be 10-20 laps ahead at the end, then kudos to them! That's racing, and will force the other teams to work harder. Now, the only NASCAR I would consider watching are the tracks like Bristol, where one can say, "Rubbin' is Racin'".
fg:
At 29 now, you must have been very young watching Petty, Foyt and Yarborough. I remember them and some other old guys well, but I am almost 40 years older than you.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Didn't get to watch the race, but would've liked to.

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
I used to watch motor sports of all kinds many years ago; but I quit watching for a variety of reasons.

1. Regardless of discipline (e.g. F1, Indy, NASCAR, drags), all of the cars are essentially the same. I miss the days when innovation was the hallmark of racing whether it was successful or not. Andy Granatelli's turbine car, Jim Hall's Chaparral 2J "vacuum cleaner" car, Tyrell's 6-wheeled F1 car, etc, etc, etc. Now all the cars are designed by the governing body of each branch of motor sports. Hell, NASCAR should remove the "S" in its name as those cars aren't even remotely stock compared to when Richard Petty ran his #43 Plymouth Fury.

2. The rules have gotten so restrictive that I feel like all the old Commie dictators found new jobs at the motor sports governing bodies. Come on; getting disqualified for using too much fuel in a race...give me a break. No more in-race refueling for F1, which prompted me to look up the F1 rules and I just got sick looking at all the micromanagement.

I'm all in favor of safety; but so many of these rules go well beyond keeping people safe.

The irony with NASCAR is that it got its start from rule breaking moonshiners.

3. NASCAR and Indy seem to be nothing more than yellow-flag events now due to crashes. I want to watch racing, not cars cruising in a pack. With F1, a lot of the tracks (e.g. Monte Carlo) are so narrow, that whoever gains the lead at the beginning of the race usually wins unless there is a crash or mechanical failure.

4. The drags, well are a drag if you go in person as you have to wait a long time to see the carbon-copy top fuelers and funny-cars. Hell, even the Pro-Stocks don't look very stock like any more.

The bottom line to me is that car racing should be called Socialized-Motor-Sports.

Sorry to be a downer; but I had to call it as I see it.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
fg:
At 29 now, you must have been very young watching Petty, Foyt and Yarborough. I remember them and some other old guys well, but I am almost 40 years older than you.
Reruns? Heard about it from others? My dad used to talk about Fireball Roberts!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"Formula 1", a techie's delight, "If you LOVE electronics, you'll LOVE our totally on-wire to wire racing!":laugh: I think they should have a lottery for those cars, each week 10 fans win a controller box to "help" their favorite driver. WOW, talk about real racing!

"NASCAR". EVERYTHING evolves, NOTHING stays the same. Yup, started by 'shiner's in "stock" cars. The HP-torque that today's NASCAR engines develop would rip today's "stock" chassis/bodies apart in 10 laps, hence "Car of Today" a real race car top to bottom built by real talented well funded racers. Does anyone really think you could race any brand of showroom car today (other than a gentleman's "rally"?) One can always find a local "street race" with those little "zoom-zoom pizza delivery cars" for real brand name racing excitement in most cities. (Thank God for multiple income families and a kids with nothing else to do!):laugh:

IF you know what a new car really looks like then you will recognize your fav brand with NASCAR's new body designs, no "decals" needed. Because of past complaints and the fall off of attendance they had to incorporate real looking cars. I say make it look like ANYTHING on 4 wheels brand or not, just run 200+mph... But since national bread is driving the racing one must have "sponsors" and in the top level competition it's gotta be bigger money than "Joe's Local Body Shop & Sushi Diner" on the hood. It takes "brand recognition and results" to attract that kind money.

Anyone who missed the several parts on several channels of Sunday's Bristol day into night race missed one of the best Bristol races ever. The "new car" has finally caught up to the redesigned/repaved track. 1.5 mile tracks are still just exhibition parade facilities since they were designed with Indy cars in mind in the first place. (AND..... Jimmy Johnson DIDN'T win!):lol:

"Delta Wing"..... did anyone see that (multiple expletives deleted) looking POS? Who's been spiking the drinks in that racing series...?:yahoo:

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
Reruns? Heard about it from others? My dad used to talk about Fireball Roberts!
Fireball was my guy. Your Dad must be about the same age as I am. I never gave a thought to reruns or you listening to other people.
Fireball is now in the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'm with mjncad, all the cars in each race look the same to me, except for decals. I want to see a race where a bunch of guys take Dodge Challengers and Chevy Camaros right out of the showroom, stick a roll cage and 5-point harness in them, and race. Fancy purpose-designed tube frames with plastic bodies does nothing for me.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'm with mjncad, all the cars in each race look the same to me, except for decals. I want to see a race where a bunch of guys take Dodge Challengers and Chevy Camaros right out of the showroom, stick a roll cage and 5-point harness in them, and race. Fancy purpose-designed tube frames with plastic bodies does nothing for me.
And exactly what exciting racing class is this happening in? "Pass Time"?:lol: Every high speed competitive auto racing series are purpose built (for safety) cars. (Even rally cars!) Ain't no more Grandpappy's hot rod Lincoln's and Mercury's out there. "...telephone poles looked like a picket fence...":laugh:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I know, that's why I rarely watch any of it. I'd rather watch Monster Jam and at least see things getting smashed and broken (and usually no injuries).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts