Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so I made a HUGE mistake and loaned my 2305 out. Well it came back and would swear it fell off a trailer.
Front tire with air bubble the size of a baseball, cup holder missing, drive shaft vibrating or bent, trans fan gone, trans fluid looks like motor oil, no power at all, forward pedal hard to push in, dents scratches and was left outside uncovered for over a month. They were supposed to just be cleaning some under brush. LOL
Now my problem.
I ordered a new fan, cup holder and universal joints on Tue were to be here on sat, drove an hour and the fan disappeared, yes before I left I called asked them to check because of the drive and they said all was there. Well they can't reorder the fan until Monday won't be there until Tues some time. Unfortunately in WNC J-D dealers are falling like flies, just none around any more.

My plan is to change out all the parts, drain the hydro fluid, change filter and clean the screen.
My 2305 has never ever missed a maintenance call, fluids and filters always changed more than probably necessary. Trans fluid was changed about 16 months ago or about 120 hrs. It was recent.

My main concern is that right now There is no power, The tractor will barely make it up a 15% incline by itself in low range if I start the rear mower it will just bog down. Reverse is good, all the attachment seem to work OK just a hard forward pedal and no power. But without the fan I don't want to run it for more than a few minutes.

Any ideas????

Thanks all in advance!

·
Administrator
18,309 Posts
Start with the hydro fluid flush and filter change-then hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
14,901 Posts
Yes don't run it without the fan unless only a few minutes. Before making a 3rd trip to dealer check the bracket on the drive shaft that holds the fan. If it turns freely it needs replaced. That piece was was over a $100 8 yrs ago. You could order your parts on line from some of the vendors.

Sounds like they broke the fan blade early on and then without fan working it fried your hyd fluid. No fan on the Series 1 is one reason I got rid of my 2305.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any idea how many hours the person put on your tractor?
How many hours are on the tractor?
914 on the tractor and I'm guessing 30-40 hrs they put on it. Oh and it was the hottest days of the yr here. I had to use branch cutters and a sawzall to cut branches from underneath it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,819 Posts
914 on the tractor and I'm guessing 30-40 hrs they put on it. Oh and it was the hottest days of the yr here. I had to use branch cutters and a sawzall to cut branches from underneath it.
:banghead:

·
Administrator
20,884 Posts
Sounds like some awesome friends. Gizmo needs a few like that.

Make sure the pedal to trans linkage isn't bound up. There may be some greaseable linkages in there too. Is the engine bogging down when this happens, or is the transmission?

·
Administrator
18,309 Posts
Hmm...
If the fan was broken early on and they overheated the hydrostat (hence the hydraulic oil looking like "motor oil") then there may be some permanent damage. I'd start with some cheap fluid first just to flush things out a bit, then if all is well change again over to the good stuff.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,819 Posts
Hmm...
If the fan was broken early on and they overheated the hydrostat (hence the hydraulic oil looking like "motor oil") then there may be some permanent damage. I'd start with some cheap fluid first just to flush things out a bit, then if all is well change again over to the good stuff.
Good idea. :thumbup1gif:
I'd do one better, go for the real stuff then change it again. Has to be cheaper over all than a hydro repair.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Sorry about your tractor issues, I like your revised(?) signature :good2:. I'm basically in the same mode ... "Don't even ask to borrow it, I won't loan it. I'll help you out if I can, but I'm running my own stuff."

I'd only loan my tractor or other stuff to either of my brothers, but they live 2 and 4 hours away, and none of us have a way to transport it, so I'm probably safe there. But my brothers and I don't usually lend/borrow stuff, but we're close enough that we wouldn't return anything damaged.

Back to the fan cooled hydrostat issue, there a lot of 2305's out there, has anyone made a retrofit to either replace or complement the cooling fan? I figure tapping into the return line on the open center loop with a small oil cooler placed in front of the radiator wouldn't be too difficult, and would provide enough cooling that could possibly replace the fan. ... Just a thought ...

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
Just caught up with this thread and agree with the advice provided. Sounds like your "friend" drove right into that underbrush mess and found the 2305's weak underbelly. Stripped the blades off the hydro cooling fan and kept on running it subsequently cooking the hydro unit and fluid. :banghead:

There's no way to determine whether there's significant internal damage without draining and refilling the hydro. Draining the fluid and cleaning the strainer will give you some indication as to whether the problem may be due to a restriction on the sump side screen or inline filter. If the fluid is black and the screen is restricted clean it, replace the spin-on filter under the tractor and refill with fluid JD Low Viscosity or equivalent. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
OK so I made a HUGE mistake and loaned my 2305 out. Well it came back and would swear it fell off a trailer.
Front tire with air bubble the size of a baseball, cup holder missing, drive shaft vibrating or bent, trans fan gone, trans fluid looks like motor oil, no power at all, forward pedal hard to push in, dents scratches and was left outside uncovered for over a month.

Holy cow....I cannot provide you any better advice then what the others gave you. I'll cross my fingers and hope they didn't ruin the trans.

With stuff broke, missing parts and damage to other parts sounds like they beat the snot out of the tractor. If they are friends hopefully they make things right with you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK here's what I did today. I read about putting it in 4WD full throttle in reverse then in forward, well that didn't do a thing.
As far as the RPM's go no they don't really go down much when it slugs. I've been cutting the same 3+ acres of grass for 10+ yrs so I know when it's bogging down from high grass and such.
There is something definitely wrong here. When I come up my little hill with no PTO or anything it just bogs down like I'm pulling a house and the forward peddle definitely has resistance, very hard to push down and no power what so ever. Reverse is fine and from what I can see limited the bucket all works and picks up the tractor with no problem, PTO turns the mower and cuts no problem.
So I have it in the barn ready to dismantle, going to see how bent the D-S is and if not bad replace the U-joints and get ready to be put back in when I get the fan. There's a local shop here who will check the D-S tomorrow.
Fingers crossed here.
I have researched think it may be either the forward valve or the forward pressure relief valve has anyone here had to change either one?

·
Super Moderator
8,147 Posts
I think I would drain the fluid and check the suction strainer before servicing the driveshaft. If the strainer is plugged that would partially explain why you have low / limited forward power. Then, based upon the results change the spin on filter and refill with hydraulic fluid and proceed with driveline & fan repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Sorry to hear about your 2305. Are you sure that is your tractor and not one that they replaced it with? Also if your fan is toast then maybe they wrecked the filter too and replaced the filter and added regular oil instead of hyd. oil. Who knows what regular oil will do to all the workings in the trans. Wow, somebody wouldn't be on my friends list. Good luck and I hope it all comes back together and works as before.

Reactions: etcallhome and rtgt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK all replaced.
Still the same outcome, no power in forward with a very hard pedal.
So I have read on and on and it's either the forward valve or some talk of the forward transaxle hydrostatic relief valve.
There is a HUGE price difference is there a way to take the valve apart and see if it's one or the other?

OK am I not finding the proper parts here? The relief valve is LVA803403/$508.00 and the pump JDLVA802584/$738.00. WOW!!!
Can this PRV be taken apart and cleaned or inspected?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe worth asking - have you verified the loader hoses aren't getting in the way of the pedal linkage? Mine will do that and make the pedal hard to depress and seem like no power going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Checked the linkage and it's going all the way down freely just hard. It's like there is built up pressure making the pedal hard.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Is the pedal hard even when engine is off? If it is, I would suspect linkage binding somehow. ALso check to be sure the brakes aren't dragging. I know you said that reverse is ok, but sometimes brakes don't seem to drag as much in reverse. With all the damage underneath, the brake linkage could be bent or binding. Before buying a relief valve, try pulling it out and checking the orings on it. ALso in some cases the forward and reverse valves can be swapped to see if problem follows the valve. This one show different part number, but that could be just a different pressure setting. If you remove them both and check that hey are the same dimensions, I would try it. The LVA802584 pump is not really a pump. It is the housing that the hydro pump mounts on and also the relief valves screw into it. I doubt that part is needed. If it is, it is a major job to install it. Tractor needs to be split.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Checked the linkage and it's going all the way down freely just hard. It's like there is built up pressure making the pedal hard.
Hiya,

I think you should check the damper circled below in the parts diagram, they have been known to wear and cause a good deal of force to move. Also, the tractor side of it looks like it may be adjustable for installed length, it could have been jammed and is now mis-adjusted. Simply pull the front pin and disconnect it, see if the pedals move easier.

Have you ordered a service manual yet? If not, you need to or take it to a mechanic/dealer, without a troubleshooting plan, your going to be hit or miss trying to get to the bottom of this.

2305 damper.PNG

Afterthought: When it struggles to move forward, is there an increased hydrostatic whine with the firm pedal or is the sound the same? Has the sound of the tractor changed after you got it back?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts