Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after I got my Frontier rake, I noticed some of the tines were no longer aligned along the bottom. I had assumed they had bent backward from use and just thought I would bend them back another time. However, after I got my adapter to put the rake on the FEL, I noticed the bent tines getting worse. Upon closer inspection, the whole angle iron was bending from the force of use.

I haven't used it in any type of heavy duty situations but needless to say I was disappointed in the build quality and was kicking myself that did not research my original purchase a bit better (ie. an actual heavy duty model). I don't have the cash to invest in new rake so I had a local welding shop straighten it out and reinforce it where possible. A new tube along the back, a few angles here and there and some JD Green and I am back in business.

I call it - the Frankenrake.

old rake.jpg
old rake 2.jpg
new rake 1.jpg
new rake 2.jpg
new rake 3.jpg
new rake 5.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Were you pushing the rake backwards against the tines? The tines on Landscape rakes are only designed to go in one direction.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Just a guess is that you are putting too much down pressure on it using the loader. They are designed for 3 point use with gravity.
Not saying you are wrong for using it on loader mind you but probably need to be a little more attentive to down pressure. Frontier usually makes a pretty stout implement.
But damn nice fix and mod you did there!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Shortly after I got my Frontier rake, I noticed some of the tines were no longer aligned along the bottom. I had assumed they had bent backward from use and just thought I would bend them back another time. However, after I got my adapter to put the rake on the FEL, I noticed the bent tines getting worse. Upon closer inspection, the whole angle iron was bending from the force of use.

I haven't used it in any type of heavy duty situations but needless to say I was disappointed in the build quality and was kicking myself that did not research my original purchase a bit better (ie. an actual heavy duty model). I don't have the cash to invest in new rake so I had a local welding shop straighten it out and reinforce it where possible. A new tube along the back, a few angles here and there and some JD Green and I am back in business.

I call it - the Frankenrake.
Regardless of how it got bent, your repairs now allow you to use the rake they way you want to use it . . . nice piece of re-engineering!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Just a guess is that you are putting too much down pressure on it using the loader. They are designed for 3 point use with gravity.
Not saying you are wrong for using it on loader mind you but probably need to be a little more attentive to down pressure. Frontier usually makes a pretty stout implement.
I would agree. They are designed to be on the 3pt not the FEL. Even a FEL in float mode might be more down pressure than they are designed for.

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
I initially thought that too but look at the angle that holds the tines... it is bent DOWN. If too much down pressure was used it would be bent UP. The way it is bent tells me the tines were being pushed backwards AND probably with excessive down force.

Most landscape rake manuals have verbiage about not pushing the tines backwards.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I initially thought that too but look at the angle that holds the tines... it is bent DOWN. If too much down pressure was used it would be bent UP. The way it is bent tells me the tines were being pushed backwards AND probably with excessive down force.

Most landscape rake manuals have verbiage about not pushing the tines backwards.
The picture is kind of deceiving - the angle iron is bent up. Only the point immediately under the hinge point is still straight. Unfortunately as other posters have mentioned most of the damage was from FEL use. I have learned my lesson and will go easier next time.

·
Registered
12,337 Posts
The picture is kind of deceiving - the angle iron is bent up. Only the point immediately under the hinge point is still straight. Unfortunately as other posters have mentioned most of the damage was from FEL use. I have learned my lesson and will go easier next time.
:dunno:i don't think ur the first one to show us damage like that on here. another person posted a pic of that angle iron being bent something like that. i have to say the shop done a great fix for ya.:bigthumb:

frontier stone rake.jpg here's what that rake looked liked back in 2006. it's got the angle iron the other way back then. my worst problem i had was the tines, and how bad i bent them in tree roots, after clearing brush. jd a couple yrs ago wanted like $18 or 17 bucks apiece for these tines. i bought the 6 they had in stock, and then got the rest off of Agri-supply for $3.99 a piece. both say the same thing on them, except the agri-ones was a little bit shorter once mounted. i fixed the jd ones, by grinding a bit off the ends.

i like ur set up on the loader. where did u find that at?:munch:thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:dunno:i don't think ur the first one to show us damage like that on here. another person posted a pic of that angle iron being bent something like that. i have to say the shop done a great fix for ya.:bigthumb:

View attachment 626146 here's what that rake looked liked back in 2006. it's got the angle iron the other way back then. my worst problem i had was the tines, and how bad i bent them in tree roots, after clearing brush. jd a couple yrs ago wanted like $18 or 17 bucks apiece for these tines. i bought the 6 they had in stock, and then got the rest off of Agri-supply for $3.99 a piece. both say the same thing on them, except the agri-ones was a little bit shorter once mounted. i fixed the jd ones, by grinding a bit off the ends.

i like ur set up on the loader. where did u find that at?:munch:thanks
Thanks BigJim - I got the loader adapter from Titan Attachments. Allows for 3point implements on the FEL (plus a trailer hitch receiver). Comes in handy.... but I do have to find a cheap quick hitch adapter for it so I can grab and go quickly :)
https://www.palletforks.com/tractor-attachments-537/john-deere-attachments/three-point-attachment-adapters/john-deere-3-point-attachment-adapter.html

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Thanks BigJim - I got the loader adapter from Titan Attachments. Allows for 3point implements on the FEL (plus a trailer hitch receiver). Comes in handy.... but I do have to find a cheap quick hitch adapter for it so I can grab and go quickly :)
https://www.palletforks.com/tractor-attachments-537/john-deere-attachments/three-point-attachment-adapters/john-deere-3-point-attachment-adapter.html
The cheapest one unless you score a used one somewhere would be the Harbor Freight one. You can probably get one for about $100. It isn't perfect but it makes the job easier.

Edit: Just saw you are in Canada. Not sure if you have Harbor Freights up there.

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
Edit: Just saw you are in Canada. Not sure if you have Harbor Freights up there.
Even better - they have Princess Auto. Like a Harbor Freight on steroids. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Even better - they have Princess Auto. Like a Harbor Freight on steroids. :)
I go there at least every two weeks

My truck wants to automatically turn into their driveway when I go by
. . . I never argue with my truck (Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT with 14 ft trailer . . . its almost a truck but more fun to drive :good2:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love Princess Auto - unfortunately their quick hitch is $300 CDN. Luckily I am a short drive to Buffalo - I plan to hit the Harbour Freight there and pick up their QH.

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
I love Princess Auto - unfortunately their quick hitch is $300 CDN.
Yes, but isn't that only like $24.99 U.S. ? :banghead:

[Sorry - just watched Canadian Bacon the other evening] :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, but isn't that only like $24.99 U.S. ? :banghead:

[Sorry - just watched Canadian Bacon the other evening] :)
At the current exchange rate... that's about right! :)

You guys should be coming North for cross border shopping :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
LOVE, LOVE Princes Auto. It is the combination of Northern Tool, Harbor Freight here in the Great White North. The ultimate "go to" for tools and hardware. Everything you would need from eh to zed.

Here in the far west bush I'm sure stores are fewer and farther between than in the east, so it is an essential source for our needs. My Mother-in-law will routinely call me with a shopping list when the sale flyers come out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts