Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, the goal is to NOT hit driveway markers. But bad things do happen to good driveway markers once in a while. Today, I accidentally killed one in a desperate attempt to not get stuck in some greasy, wet, and heavy snow. "Bummer, but oh well", or so I thought.

Fast forward to a little while later when I was plowing into the same spot, completely forgetting about the driveway marker, which was now buried. In some stroke of fate, the fallen orange fiberglass post somehow got sprung between my plow blade and something else, probably the ground. When I picked up the plow blade to back away, it dislodged and became a missile, shooting just past my head and missing me by inches or less. I only knew about it because I heard that distinctive whiz you hear when something just misses your squash, and I heard it over the sound of the tractor, which was revved up pretty good at that point.

Instinctively, I turned and caught its landing about 35 feet behind me, disappearing into a snow bank. As you can figure, that thing would have put me in the hospital or worse if it had been just a few degrees to its left. And not to mention, getting taken out by something ORANGE would just be unjust!:laugh:

Of course this is a freak occurrence, but hopefully it is at least an example for folks new to the tractor world of the crazy little situations that can arise out of nowhere just when you least expect them.

·
Administrator
17,087 Posts
Good story Chris, thanks for sharing it. Just proves that one truly never knows what's gonna happen or when no matter how well we prepare. No one gets out of this alive...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Ooh man, glad nothing major happened.
The good thing is, you need one of these events every now and then to remind you to be safe.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Gee, Chris . . .

You literally dodged a bullet there.

Maybe you ought to buy a lottery ticket before your run of extra-good luck expires . . . :peace:

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Scary for sure!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
714 Posts
Man, glad you are here to tell about it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Obviously, the goal is to NOT hit driveway markers. But bad things do happen to good driveway markers once in a while. Today, I accidentally killed one in a desperate attempt to not get stuck in some greasy, wet, and heavy snow. "Bummer, but oh well", or so I thought.

Fast forward to a little while later when I was plowing into the same spot, completely forgetting about the driveway marker, which was now buried. In some stroke of fate, the fallen orange fiberglass post somehow got sprung between my plow blade and something else, probably the ground. When I picked up the plow blade to back away, it dislodged and became a missile, shooting just past my head and missing me by inches or less. I only knew about it because I heard that distinctive whiz you hear when something just misses your squash, and I heard it over the sound of the tractor, which was revved up pretty good at that point.

Instinctively, I turned and caught its landing about 35 feet behind me, disappearing into a snow bank. As you can figure, that thing would have put me in the hospital or worse if it had been just a few degrees to its left. And not to mention, getting taken out by something ORANGE would just be unjust!:laugh:

Of course this is a freak occurrence, but hopefully it is at least an example for folks new to the tractor world of the crazy little situations that can arise out of nowhere just when you least expect them.
I would appreciate it if you would not put your health at risk until AFTER my forks arrive. Thanks for your cooperation with this matter.:mocking:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I was plowing my brother-in-laws driveway (lives next door) with my 1026R the other day. I always push the snow across the road over a ditch so it does not bother anyone. 2 days later my brother-in-law calls me to ask if I had seen his cat. I said no because he is quit easy to spot in the snow because he is jet black. Another day went by and he called me back saying the cat was still not home and he could use my help to search our woods to look for it. If it had died we did not want my niece (his daughter) to find it. So we were out searching and about 15 minutes in while walking the road we heard the faint cry of a cat coming from the ditch where I had pushed the snow over the side of the road 3 days before. The cat had hidden in the culvert pipe that passes under the road and I had accidentally pushed snow over the only opening in the pipe so the cat had no way to get out. The poor little guy had been in there for 3 days with no food or water. I now push the snow in a different direction.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Fuelhog,

Great story and a nice reminder to keep animals safe by not burying their hiding places.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Lucky Chris... Poor kitty!:laugh:

And of course we all know not to pull up fiberglass markers with our bare hands in the Spring, don't we! I forgot all about those nasty rods and sprung one last year and found out the hard way when I pulled it out!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in North Central Florida, am new to real tractors and new to this forum. You've given me something else to think about now.

I just bought the property so I would need equipment to maintain it and run across this great running 1020 the guy put a new clutch and fuel system in. Did not really want one this big as I only have 7 acres of pasture but $3.2K for the tractor, 72" blade box, 60" bush-hog and 60" woods finish mower? I can't pass it up. Really, really needs tires though and has a slight hydraulic whine but that is for another thread.

Anyway, my first attempt at driving this tractor is running the bush-hog to clear along the fence line of the back 5 acres of pasture for the horses. Very overgrown as it hasn't been done in two years. I walk the area to make sure I don't hit anything hidden in the tall grass and brush as the property, the tractor and driving a tractor this big is all new to me.

Doing very nicely being pretty proud of myself. I got this, I really got this! Haven't ripped out any fence, haven't hit any trees, haven't cut the two hose bibs sticking up in the fields, haven't hit the barn, haven't hit either shed and cutting straight, oh yea this is a breeze.

Clang, clang, bang, clang, bang, bang, clang, clang and a lot of shaking.

Previous owner laid down 30 feet of 4"x4"x4' square hole fence and the grass grew over it, through it and buried it. Did you guys know those bush-hogs can really make a mess of fencing, YIKES. Fortunately it wasn't connected to anything, just laying in the grass. Disengage the PTO and drag the whole mess back to my truck. My wife is hustling out yelling "you OK"? Yea, yea, yea. Nothing hurt but my pride. 30 minutes with my big Klines and I'm chopping stuff up again.

Now I have to think about bees and wasps and...

Thanks a bunch.

Mikey

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in North Central Florida, am new to real tractors and new to this forum. You've given me something else to think about now.

Thanks a bunch.

Mikey
Welcome in Mikey. Great story, thanks for sharing. Surely after you've been over the property a couple of times you'll root out all of the remnants of the last inhabitant. :greentractorride:

We have family near Live Oak/Lake City.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

I just bought the property so I would need equipment to maintain it and run across this great running 1020 the guy put a new clutch and fuel system in. Did not really want one this big as I only have 7 acres of pasture but $3.2K for the tractor, 72" blade box, 60" bush-hog and 60" woods finish mower? I can't pass it up. Really, really needs tires though and has a slight hydraulic whine but that is for another thread.

Anyway, my first attempt at driving this tractor is running the bush-hog to clear along the fence line of the back 5 acres of pasture for the horses. Very overgrown as it hasn't been done in two years. I walk the area to make sure I don't hit anything hidden in the tall grass and brush as the property, the tractor and driving a tractor this big is all new to me.

Doing very nicely being pretty proud of myself. I got this, I really got this! Haven't ripped out any fence, haven't hit any trees, haven't cut the two hose bibs sticking up in the fields, haven't hit the barn, haven't hit either shed and cutting straight, oh yea this is a breeze.

Clang, clang, bang, clang, bang, bang, clang, clang and a lot of shaking.

Previous owner laid down 30 feet of 4"x4"x4' square hole fence and the grass grew over it, through it and buried it. Did you guys know those bush-hogs can really make a mess of fencing, YIKES. Fortunately it wasn't connected to anything, just laying in the grass. Disengage the PTO and drag the whole mess back to my truck. My wife is hustling out yelling "you OK"? Yea, yea, yea. Nothing hurt but my pride. 30 minutes with my big Klines and I'm chopping stuff up again.

Now I have to think about bees and wasps and...

Thanks a bunch.

Mikey
Welcome to the forum Mikey....glad you found us! And thanks for the story!
I have seen a brush hog throw chunks of stuff a very long way. I was on a tractor in my youth when the hog caught some buried barb wire and proceeded to wind around the blade and yank up out of the ground like a whip, then stretched tighter than a drum ,as the other end was nailed to a tree,until it broke. If anyone had been in the path of that line....it could of cut them in two.You've probably already thought about this,but just a reminder to be very careful and keep any bystanders out of harms way....especially on overgrown ground your not familiar with.

Anyways....again, welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Brush hogs are great at finding old fences... Just wish I could tune it to find treasure. :)

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts