Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crazy thing happened to me yesterday. I was in the process changing oil and putting new blades on my LX 172. I had removed the deck and pulled it away from the tractor, out in the yard where I could work on it. At this point, I was ready to flip it over in order to get to the blades. Now the front part of the deck has two "hooks" welded to it, that are used to couple the deck to a bracket attached to the front axle. In the process of flipping the deck over, I grabbed these hooks to lift the deck up on its trailing edge. Somehow, in the process of flipping the thing over, I got overbalanced, and the deck began to fall. One of these hooks grabbed my finger above the knuckle and flipped me over with it, body slamming me to the ground.

I was lucky; I ended up with a sore shoulder and a man sized barked shin, but other than feeling a bit stupid and embarrassed, I was OK. In any case, it was a surprising turn of events. Guess I'm getting too old for this sort of thing, it's getting to be an ordeal that I don't look forward to any more...although I'm not ready to give it up.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
Other than the sore shoulder and barked shin, if no one saw it, it did not happen.
My wife is asking me all the time how I got this or that bruise. I tell her I don't remember getting it. :zip:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Yeah, when I pull one of those, the first thing I do is look around to see if anyone was watching....I'm looking around more and more these days.:laugh:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Other than the sore shoulder and barked shin, if no one saw it, it did not happen.
My wife is asking me all the time how I got this or that bruise. I tell her I don't remember getting it. :zip:
Z-5: I'm going to "borrow" your line: :if no one saw it, it did not happen." I expect to get good play and lots of cheap laughs with it soon...

Thanks!!

Brian

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Glad you are ok

Thankful the damage wasn't worse! I guess the only solution is to use a FEL and bolt on hooks to lift it up next time. After all, safety comes first so if it involves some purchasing that's only for safety not because you wanted it. A tractor and FEL is much cheaper than a stay in a hospital so you are saving money!

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Crazy thing happened to me yesterday. I was in the process changing oil and putting new blades on my LX 172. I had removed the deck and pulled it away from the tractor, out in the yard where I could work on it. At this point, I was ready to flip it over in order to get to the blades. Now the front part of the deck has two "hooks" welded to it, that are used to couple the deck to a bracket attached to the front axle. In the process of flipping the deck over, I grabbed these hooks to lift the deck up on its trailing edge. Somehow, in the process of flipping the thing over, I got overbalanced, and the deck began to fall. One of these hooks grabbed my finger above the knuckle and flipped me over with it, body slamming me to the ground.

I was lucky; I ended up with a sore shoulder and a man sized barked shin, but other than feeling a bit stupid and embarrassed, I was OK. In any case, it was a surprising turn of events. Guess I'm getting too old for this sort of thing, it's getting to be an ordeal that I don't look forward to any more...although I'm not ready to give it up.
2lane, it could have been worse; you could have pulled your finger right off your hand... When I was a kid working in a grocery store we witnessed a delivery man jump off the loading dock and somehow got his wedding ring finger stuck in the dumpster and he pulled his finger right off the bone! The worst part after the shock for us 15 year old kids was the fruit company called to see if we could pick up his wedding ring. Couldn't; a dog ran off with his black colored finger!!!!! Lesson learned about putting fingers where trouble could arise it's ugly head.. My wife would never allow me to wear my wedding ring to work, ever... Chicks at the gin mills we used to stop at after work for a nice cold one were all over us for that, I'm sure Giz can attest to this, being the stud that he is... Better to survive the embarrassment then the other outcome.... Jeff

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,679 Posts
2lane, it could have been worse; you could have pulled your finger right off your hand... When I was a kid working in a grocery store we witnessed a delivery man jump off the loading dock and somehow got his wedding ring finger stuck in the dumpster and he pulled his finger right off the bone! The worst part after the shock for us 15 year old kids was the fruit company called to see if we could pick up his wedding ring. Couldn't; a dog ran off with his black colored finger!!!!! Lesson learned about putting fingers where trouble could arise it's ugly head.. My wife would never allow me to wear my wedding ring to work, ever... Chicks at the gin mills we used to stop at after work for a nice cold one were all over us for that, I'm sure Giz can attest to this, being the stud that he is... Better to survive the embarrassment then the other outcome.... Jeff
I was thinking the same thing, it just about happened to the Jimmy Fallon(tonight show). One reason I don't wear my ring any more, I'd like to keep all my digits.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankful the damage wasn't worse! I guess the only solution is to use a FEL and bolt on hooks to lift it up next time. After all, safety comes first so if it involves some purchasing that's only for safety not because you wanted it. A tractor and FEL is much cheaper than a stay in a hospital so you are saving money!

Treefarmer
I like your rationale, but I didn't tell Sharn Jean what happened. I need a new mower any way, so I'm working on my arguments now.

·
Super Moderator
5,093 Posts

Huh. I almost had the same thing happen on Sunday when I replaced the blades on my D160. I got my fingers into the front wheel brackets on the deck and tried to stand it up and the whole bottom of the thing started to slide into my ankles and the top swung out away form me. Luckily, I managed to get my fingers out but I was a third of the way over by the time I did. Took everything I had to remain upright. On my next try I ran chain through the brackets and lifted the thing with my loader.

Be safe out there folks!:good2:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
man, that mower must not like you. how many rocks have you run over?:lolol:

all kidding aside, im glad you're OK.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,261 Posts
When I had my 425 AWS it about killed me 3 times. I used that argument with my wife to get a 4 WD tractor. That's how I got the 2210. It was my wife's idea to trade it for the 1026 I have now. :bigthumb: Wife didn't think the JD mechanics could fix the 2210 without us having problems down the road. I had been pining over the 1026 but my wife didn't know that. But I didn't hesitate when she said trade. :mocking: Glad you're alright.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
It's a '93 model, so it's given me a lot of faithful service. It's getting old and cantankerous just like me.
so its at the gizmo stage of life?:lolol:

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts
It's amazing how fast those things can happen. Mrs. Bear tells me that whenever I used to say "Hey, watch this," it was usually followed by a trip to the Emergency room or at least in the house for self medical care.:empathy:

Glad you are OK, 2LaneCruiser. That simple and quick incident could have easily had a bad outcome. Take it from someone who has had a dozen orthopedic surgeries, don't get started down my road.......:laugh::lol:

One of my neighbors just bought an x500 something with AWS. He must have gotten it delivered Saturday morning as he was mowing with it the first time on Saturday AM while were were out on our daily neighborhood Canine Visit and Treat Delivery Tour. This guy was clearly enamored with the AWS function as I have never seen anyone mow with so many various turns in such a close area. Frankly, his yard looked awful when he was done as he missed spots all over the place and didn't mow to road edge and also didn't get close enough to any of his trees or other landscaping items. I don't think there was a straight line mow more than 20' long in the whole front yard.:smash:

He had been paying some "Zero Turn Cowboy's" who would come in (there is a pair of them) and they mow at full speed, knocking down as much grass as they actually cut. They spin the machines when they turn them and damage the turf, instead of making a 3 point turn. Apparently now he is going to do it himself. We will see how long that lasts. This same neighbor bought a new walk behind Deere snowblower last fall and used it a few times and when they had the first real cold and high wind snowblower experience, I think it cured him. He called me and asked me to plow from that point forward. He put the blower on Craigslist at the end of winter and then traded it on the tractor when it didn't sell in April. Imagine that, no one buying a snowblower in late April. He should have listed it in January when he called me to commence plowing.:banghead:

Another neighbor just bought a new Cub with only a 42" deck and I am amazed how often the Cub scalps. The slightest dip in the lawn and it scalps. His old Murray mower produced a better finished product than the new Cub. He still has the Murray, maybe he should use it.

But I have noticed a trend with new mower owners with the back up safety switch. Many ( if not most including the Cub owner) avoid any movements while mowing which cause them to push the reverse pedal and disengage the mower PTO. So, as a result, they mow in circles and figure "8's" and other all forward movements, which leave a lawn looking less than desirable. One of the neighbors who does this also mows so that he blows ALL of the clippings inward on every pass. He keeps running over the clippings blowing them in and the end result is a mess and looks like a hay field waiting to me baled. :dunno:

I guess it bothers me because I hate to see nice green Deere mowers used and the finished result of the lawns look poor. In every case, it is clearly operator error and lack of experience. Maybe I will stop by and "mention" to them the ability to deal with the reverse switch if it makes it easier for them to mow. Another trend I have noticed with everyone of the new machine owners is that they always engage their PTO's at WOT, which is really hard on equipment. Perhaps I should mention throttling down before PTO engagement to them.:unknown::soapbox:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
It's amazing how fast those things can happen. Mrs. Bear tells me that whenever I used to say "Hey, watch this," it was usually followed by a trip to the Emergency room or at least in the house for self medical care.:empathy:

Glad you are OK, 2LaneCruiser. That simple and quick incident could have easily had a bad outcome. Take it from someone who has had a dozen orthopedic surgeries, don't get started down my road.......:laugh::lol:

One of my neighbors just bought an x500 something with AWS. He must have gotten it delivered Saturday morning as he was mowing with it the first time on Saturday AM while were were out on our daily neighborhood Canine Visit and Treat Delivery Tour. This guy was clearly enamored with the AWS function as I have never seen anyone mow with so many various turns in such a close area. Frankly, his yard looked awful when he was done as he missed spots all over the place and didn't mow to road edge and also didn't get close enough to any of his trees or other landscaping items. I don't think there was a straight line mow more than 20' long in the whole front yard.:smash:

He had been paying some "Zero Turn Cowboy's" who would come in (there is a pair of them) and they mow at full speed, knocking down as much grass as they actually cut. They spin the machines when they turn them and damage the turf, instead of making a 3 point turn. Apparently now he is going to do it himself. We will see how long that lasts. This same neighbor bought a new walk behind Deere snowblower last fall and used it a few times and when they had the first real cold and high wind snowblower experience, I think it cured him. He called me and asked me to plow from that point forward. He put the blower on Craigslist at the end of winter and then traded it on the tractor when it didn't sell in April. Imagine that, no one buying a snowblower in late April. He should have listed it in January when he called me to commence plowing.:banghead:

Another neighbor just bought a new Cub with only a 42" deck and I am amazed how often the Cub scalps. The slightest dip in the lawn and it scalps. His old Murray mower produced a better finished product than the new Cub. He still has the Murray, maybe he should use it.

But I have noticed a trend with new mower owners with the back up safety switch. Many ( if not most including the Cub owner) avoid any movements while mowing which cause them to push the reverse pedal and disengage the mower PTO. So, as a result, they mow in circles and figure "8's" and other all forward movements, which leave a lawn looking less than desirable. One of the neighbors who does this also mows so that he blows ALL of the clippings inward on every pass. He keeps running over the clippings blowing them in and the end result is a mess and looks like a hay field waiting to me baled. :dunno:

I guess it bothers me because I hate to see nice green Deere mowers used and the finished result of the lawns look poor. In every case, it is clearly operator error and lack of experience. Maybe I will stop by and "mention" to them the ability to deal with the reverse switch if it makes it easier for them to mow. Another trend I have noticed with everyone of the new machine owners is that they always engage their PTO's at WOT, which is really hard on equipment. Perhaps I should mention throttling down before PTO engagement to them.:unknown::soapbox:
safety switches are a b------ arent they?

yeah, i also hate bad looking lawns and jobs in general that are made by folks with JD equipment.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts

Hmm, :think: I've been wanting an AWS for my next lawn tractor. Maybe it will go up for sale soon :dunno: I promise to do a better job mowing than that guy :kidw_truck_smiley:. But it has to be liquid cooled :nunu:

OK back to TOPIC now :focus::greentractorride:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,727 Posts
Yeah, when I pull one of those, the first thing I do is look around to see if anyone was watching....I'm looking around more and more these days.:laugh:
Man you got that right, that's the first thing I do after pulling some "surprise" acrobatics out in the yard.
My buddies are the unforgetting types.:lol:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Man, I so glad you did not loose a finger or worse.

My 60" deck got away from me once. I was 'walking' it on its large wheels towards the garage. It fell on my sneaker covered toe. I lost my large toe nail. After I got out of the fetal position, I was able to get the deck back up and in it's stored position. I never never never fool with the deck without my steel toe boots.

isaac

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
It's amazing how fast those things can happen. Mrs. Bear tells me that whenever I used to say "Hey, watch this," it was usually followed by a trip to the Emergency room....[/COLOR][/B][/I]
You forgot,"Hold my beer. Hey, watch this..." :laugh:

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,679 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts