Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered this trailer for free so I couldn't pass it up. It measures 6' 9" wide and 12' 4" long. Somewhere in its past it lost a wheel and the spindle appears to have been dragged down the road. It looks homemade, but has an assigned ID tag on it. The guy I got it from just got it from his neighbor and was just going to haul it for scrap. Turns out I know his neighbor and I was told he still has the title for it. We will see if I can track it down. I'm not sure what I will do with it yet, but it would work nice as a farm trailer if nothing else.

Plant Wheel Wood Tree Grassland
Wheel Cloud Sky Tire Plant
Tire Sky Cloud Wheel Plant
Cloud Sky Wheel Plant Tire
Cloud Sky Plant Tire Wheel
Sky Tire Plant Wheel Ecoregion
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Ecoregion

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
You have to watch What you put into those. By the time you paint, redeck and add new tires and lights. A new trailer could be less money. All though some trailers are in short supply right now.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Nice Bones. I'd say fix it up. (y)

·
Registered
229 Posts
A couple hundred bucks gets you a new axle with hubs at tractor supply store. A new 12 foot trailer is close to 2 grand around here.
I say fix it up.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to watch What you put into those. By the time you paint, redeck and add new tires and lights. A new trailer could be less money. All though some trailers are in short supply right now.
I agree on watching what you put into it. The wood for the deck could be really expensive these days. We do have a bandsaw mill to help out with that part.

Reactions: ttazzman and trav

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice Bones. I'd say fix it up. (y)
A couple hundred bucks gets you a new axle with hubs at tractor supply store. A new 12 foot trailer is close to 2 grand around here.
I say fix it up.
I'm sure I will fix it up. I can get by pretty cheap if I just make it a farm trailer. It will take a little more if I want to put it on the road. Getting the Title may be the deciding factor on which way I go.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
19,563 Posts
Nice trailer project. (y) It looks to have a very sturdy frame.

If it were mine, I'd move the axles forward a bit. The present location of the axles will make the "loaded" trailer a bit tongue-heavy.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pulled the damaged spindle to look for some sort of numbers to ID what it is. It was pretty rusty which makes it hard to read anything. I guess I will have to pull the others to see if one has good readable numbers on it.

Font Bicycle part Circle Auto part Artifact
Wood Gas Auto part Font Household hardware

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice trailer project. (y) It looks to have a very sturdy frame.

If it were mine, I'd move the axles forward a bit. The present location of the axles will make the "loaded" trailer a bit tongue-heavy.
Yes, they are located pretty far back. This was used as a landscape trailer so I wonder if they thought the axles moved back would help when driving/loading equipment up the tailgate ramp. Some rear stabilizing jack might be a better option.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, a year has gone by since I last looked at this trailer. Dad told me that AMC vehicles had bolt on spindles similar to what this trailer has. It just so happens that we have an abandoned AMC Pacer sitting up on the farm from a former renter. I picked it up and put it on some blocking and pulled the front wheels, calipers, and rotors to get a look at the spindles. Sure enough they are bolt on and have the same mounting bolt pattern as the trailer spindle. The only difference is the pacer spindles have larger bearings which is actually better. I think I can bolt the spindles on one axle and be in business with this trailer when I get a deck on it. The original spindle is on the right.

Gas Grass Font Plumbing fitting Brick
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system
Gas Nut Machine Auto part Automotive wheel system
Wood Hat Automotive tire Table Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I have a 4x8.5’ utility trailer that my dad built 30 -40 years ago. He used spindles, and wheels from an amc car. Might have been a 74 hornet. There’s no brake discs on the hubs. 14” steel wheels with the same center caps in your pictures.

Reactions: Cjet69

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would like to find another set of spindles like these so I would have the larger bearings all around.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Lots of trailers were built with Studebaker Spindals.

Maybe thats what those are.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The original drum/hub has KH on it. I assume that stands for Kelsey-Hayes.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Lots of trailers were built with Studebaker Spindals.

Maybe thats what those are.
I’m pretty sure the spindles pictured are amc. My grandfather and dad used to build trailers. Actually my grand father built farm equipment like wagons in the 60s and early 70s. My mother had a 74 amc hornet. A some point my dad bought a second hornet for parts. I know he used the front spindles to build the trailer I still have. My trailer hubs don’t have the brake rotors. I don’t know a lot about AMC, but just like jeep they seem to have used parts from other manufacturers to build their cars. So it’s possible AMC used Studebaker Spindles. But don’t really know when Studebaker stopped building cars. Im pretty sure AMC / Jeep got bought out by Chrysler in the mid 80s.

The AMC center caps are just like the ones on my trailer. I know for sure on of the Hornets we had was a 74, I’m not sure if the other one was the same year or not. I’m also not sure how many years the center caps would have been the same. I was able to get new bearings and seals last summer by asking for parts for a hornet, kid behind the counter had know idea what an AMC was. All I really remember about the Hornet is they were rust buckets.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Hornets were different...Aunt had some pimped version with the big engine......I wasa a kid and knew nothing then.

FF..I ended up with the 4x4 version.....whut a dud that was.........moved it quick.

My custom built boat trailer is what had the Stu Spindles.....I miss that boat.
1978 16' Beechcraft with the big 6 Merc. 150hp ,powertrim......it would try to fly.
I think it was rated for 110hp....fun tymes.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
The Hornet my mom drove had the 258 6 cylinder with a 3 speed automatic. I think it was a GM transmission. I drove it for a few months before I was able to get my first pickup. The floor boards and front fenders had large rust holes. So that Hornet also got stripped for parts sometime in the mid 80s. I graduated high school in 88, that 74 hornets spindles, hubs and wheels must have been used for the trailer in 85 or 86, as I drove a GMC 4x4 pickup the last couple years of high school.

I was never much of a car guy, I was always more into 4wd trucks and jeeps. But I do remember a few of my high school friends having AMC cars. One had a pacer, had something like the Hornet, but it was a little bigger and had a big v8 . I think the 4wd cars wer e eagles . Pretty sure Chrysler bought AMC for the jeep line and killed the cars ,

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pulled the bearings out to clean and repack. Gave the rotors a quick wire brush followed up with a pressure washing. I'm thinking about cutting the disc part off to lose some weight. Figured you guys would like some "EYE CANDY" ;) so I snapped some pics of the Pacer. I tried it today and the engine still turns over.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Alloy wheel
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Land vehicle
Car Plant Vehicle Hood Sky
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Hood
Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood

Reactions: rtgt
1 - 20 of 22 Posts