Green Tractor Talk banner

Freestanding lean-to

1342 15
My pile of tractor attachments has outgrown the shed. I’d like to build a small lean-to as protection for them. I was planning on 4-4x4 posts in the ground with some stringers and a simple roof.
The big question is to use a birdsmouth or not on the rafters. I’ve never done it before, it doesn’t seem that hard, but I am by no means a woodworker, I just get lucky swinging a hammer sometimes.

any advice for attaching rafters in a simple fashion?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
I would suggest 6x6 as opposed to 4x4 for longevity, strength, and resistance to bumps/accidents. Birds mouths are easy to cut and figure out as well as providing a more stable rafter, making easier to nail and spreading the load, are you in a snow zone?
We are talking about a 8 x 12 lean-to here guys. I know its fun to spend other peoples money but concrete and all is a bit much. Dig some holes 2'+ deep, set the posts and put on the roof. Rafter ties are fast and cheap, I will give you that but toe nails have been working for centuries, JM2C
"that’s the biggest risk!"

Me too
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.