Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy looking at a new JD lawn tractor. He was looking at them at Home Depot and I am trying to talk him out of them and up a level. He has an acre yard to mow. That is no big deal. He is pushing it right now. The issue is that he has over 225 feet of driveway between the home and barn. He wants a snow blower, not a plow.

What should I direct him to? He does not have much of a budget. He was taking $3,500. I told him I THINK he will need $5,000 on the low side.

Anyone know the smaller lawn tractors and what they are going for? Any info would help. He is not into used.........

·
Administrator
17,265 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
From what I remember reading Home Depot John Deere lawn tractors are not built to the same specifications as one bought from a JD dealer. The HD transmissions are light duty, throwaways as I recall.

·
Registered
105 Posts
From what I remember reading Home Depot John Deere lawn tractors are not built to the same specifications as one bought from a JD dealer. The HD transmissions are light duty, throwaways as I recall.
That isn't true, the same model at Home Depot is the same as the dealers. That being said I would much prefer buying mine from the dealer...

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know the difference from the x300 to the x320. I will pass this on. I think he is asking for a lot without much $$ as he wants to keep this 20 years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That isn't true, the same model at Home Depot is the same as the dealers. That being said I would much prefer buying mine from the dealer...
After you purchase at HD, all service, warranty, etc., has to be done at a JD dealer. HD just takes your purchase money then they are through with you. I'm told the purchase price is typically no more at a JD dealer. So why even bother with HD? The typical HD purchaser probably never even looked for a JD dealer because he assumed they just sell farm tractors.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a buddy looking at a new JD lawn tractor. He was looking at them at Home Depot and I am trying to talk him out of them and up a level. He has an acre yard to mow. That is no big deal. He is pushing it right now. The issue is that he has over 225 feet of driveway between the home and barn. He wants a snow blower, not a plow.

What should I direct him to? He does not have much of a budget. He was taking $3,500. I told him I THINK he will need $5,000 on the low side.

Anyone know the smaller lawn tractors and what they are going for? Any info would help. He is not into used.........
Well I think if the budget is $3,500 for a new mower/snowblower then a lawn tractor is out of the budget. In that budget your friend is right to consider the D100 series riding mower with a front mount snow blower. If Home Depot has one on sale, even better. However try to explain all the significant differences between a riding lawn mower and a lawn tractor. You truly do get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
The Despot & Doh's units are the same as what the dealers sell. Furthermore the dealers sell them at the same price as the big box stores; at least the dealer I bought my L-130 does/did.

Also in Colorado, if you buy from the dealer that primarily sells AG equipment you pay 2.9% sales tax versus anywhere from 4.5% - 12% depending on the box store locality. The average is around 8.5%. What you save in sales tax could let you upgrade one model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
paulcleston

I just shopped at home depot for a new lawn mower. What I saw there in the D series machines does not sound like what you need for what you want to do. These machines are good for mowing lawns and light pasture work but you start trying to hang attachments on them and work them I do not believe they will hold up. Snow Blowers, Tillers and this type of tools should be used on the better units. Downside of that is you cannot come close to these machines and attachments for 3500.00.
One suggestion is to look for a 300 and 400 series J.D. Lawn and garden tractor built in the 1980's and 90,s. These machines were built as well or better than the new ones today that you buy for 6000.00 to 10000.00. Sometimes you can find one that has been restored with attachments for the money that you are wanting to spend. I have a 1971 J.D. 140H3 with 48 in deck, hydrostatic drive, individual brakes, hydraulics for rear and front, to run blades, blowers, loaders, tillers etc. It is twice the machine today that my 50 hour LA175 is but it is just very tired. All I need today is a lawn mower which the LA175 does very well. E-Bay has these machines all the time.
If interested, google up Weekend Freedom Machines and look at the 300 and 400 series machines. If you get a good one today, you can plan to pass it on to your grandkids. I ended up buying my Slightly used LA175 from a J.D. Dealer.
Price was good, service good, delivered machine, I am comfortable that if I need warranty they will ge there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why does it have to be new?
He could get a NICE 300 series with blower for about $2500 or go up one generation and get something along the lines of a GT235 for about $3000. Add another grand and he could have a GX345!

Last yr I had a MINT GT275 with Piranha deck and Blower....LOVED that machine! A setup like that could be had for about $2000!

·
Registered
109 Posts
A nice used 300 series in decent shape could be had for that money. Better choice for the bigger tractor as stated before if he plans to do more than cut grass. Those little lawn mowers are all the same, even JD in those small units ,IMO. I would bet JD doesn't even make them, they are outsourced. Just like when Bombardier / can-am made their 4 wheelers and badged them with Deere stickers a few years back.

If he wants a shiney one, then he needs more "green" for the new 300. Money well spent...:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was just at my dealer last week buying a Stihl trimmer. We were leaning on a tracotr and I nodded towards the "D's" they had lined up and asked him about them. I asked if they were "subcontracted" with MTD or another brand. He told me that NOW all the D's are made by Deere in Greeneville Tennessee. He said it gave them better quality control. Theya re decent quality FOR WHAT THEY ARE FOR....cutting grass.

I agree with everyone else, if he wantws to keep it along time and use ground engaging equipment he needs to get into the X3's.

I bought a Husqvarna "lawn tractor" (read mower) two weeks ago. I really wanted Deere, but I stumbled up on a deal that my Deere guy couldn't touch and the Husqvarna has a better warranty. That being said, I needed a grass cutter that could get under low hanging branches and into some tight spots that my 1026R w/60" MMM can't. I have no expectations that the Husq will last forever or ever do anything more than cut(trim) the acreage and pull the little utility trailer with my Stihl in it to the ditch for me to work.

I would really try to steer him to a used bigger piece as stated before. I believe he will be much happier.

Just my opinion....and probably worth what you paid for it.....:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
John Deere has always made the D-series, including their predecessors, the LA and L series at the John Deere Greenville plant. Before the L-series that plant made the Scotts and Sabre lines. It has always been a JD plant. I don't know what your dealer meant by "NOW", but if he's saying someone else built them before, he is WRONG.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Yea the whole MTD deal is a wives tail. They are not going to be the same quality as the tractors that comes out of WI, but thats just because they are built for a different ground with less needs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts