Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been unhappy with my 2005 L(emon)-130 BBM (Big Box Mart) grade of Deere lawn tractor I bought in 2005. I have been trying to convince myself to replace it for many years, and not with another BBM grade mower such as a D(ud)-1xx series.

So I went from a Yugo to a M-B by treating myself to a X754 with 60" deck with auto-connect. I want this one to last me out, which I know any BBM mower won't unless it sits unused. My L130 died after I ordered the replacement, and a gearhead neighbor is going to buy it for parts, or fix whatever is ailing the fuel system.

I got 16.25% off MSRP and 0% - 60 months financing.

I got to use it today for about an hour before the rains came. Hopefully I can finish up tomorrow; but this rig is light-years ahead of a BBM mower and makes mowing so much easier, especially around trees and other obstacles. A couple of the pictures show how much the Russian Sage (tumbleweeds) have grown since the L130 croaked.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I don't know much about Deere's garden tractors, thankfully a bunch of folks here are experts on them.

That said, as for financially stupid I look at it like this; If it's something you want, and you have the expendable funds to purchase it with all your finances in order then buy it and enjoy it. Fun, whether it's a night out at the movies, vacation trip to some far off land, a couple bottles of wine with some dear old friends, or a truck/ tractor/ widget that you've always wanted; fun costs money and if your house is in order then that's okay. :)

They say you never see a hearse towing a U-Haul, but they don't stuff the contents of your bank account in there either. :drinks:

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
That's a pretty sizable jump! :laugh:

But if ya weren't happy with the L-130 and this one makes ya happy and you can afford it... why not?

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Sweet. Enjoy :dance:

·
Administrator
20,478 Posts
Congrats on the new tractor! It looks great. I hope it brings you many years of smiles. Or in your case, maybe you won't be ticked off every time you mow. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Life is short if it makes you happy go for it. Nice tractor.

Doug

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
You spend a lot of time mowing, why not have something that makes the job enjoyable. I think you made a fine choice! Now get out there and enjoy it! I bet you never think twice about it.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Wow nice :greentractorride:

Ya know it is good for one's mental health to smile while playing (working of course) on one's tractor, enjoy!! That's a great looking machine

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,752 Posts
You did good mjncad.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Nice choice. Once you get into this size Deere, it's hard to go back to anything else. Others may not understand, but you will.:thumbup1gif:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
As much as you hate mowing, this should make it less of a chore for you. In fact, you might find that you actually enjoy it now! I think you made a good choice. You were going to have to get something, so why not have a machine that you like? :good2:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Great choice, great decision? YES

Financially stupid? NO, you can't take it with you.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Well....IMO you did great. That should last the rest of your long and prosperous life. You wont ever have to replace it again...cuz I know you'll take excellent care of her. I've always been of the opinion that quality tools are the cheapest in the long run. The cost only hurts initially...but you soon forget that and then enjoy the tool for what is is.

You have one very very nice garden tractor that will be able to do so much more than mow. I'm jealous...FWIW

·
Registered
27 Posts
Enjoy your new John Deere! Now go cut those weeds.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had a X495 AWS. It was the best mower I have had. I have a 4310 with a 72"deck and I could cover just as much ground with the 62" deck. That AWS is the best. If I did not need a loader, I would still have the X495!

Congratulations!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think you did good. I am biased, though. Once you use one of these fine machines you'll never go back. My 425 went down on me at a bad time where I had to borrow my neighbor's L150. It got the job done, but I hated it: Loud, slow, vibrated terribly, poor traction, required two hands to steer, etc. I love my new X739 just as much, maybe more as I don't have to put chains on it to plow snow. Hydraulics is also awesome. You can do so much more with these X-series machines. I put a 3pt hitch on the X739 and love that thing for use with sprayer, aerator, dethatcher, weight bracket/trailer hitch/basket, and leaf vacuum. Highly recommend the 3pt hitch and the Omni-hitch.

·
Premium Member
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The X754 complements my 4200 CUT. After using the L130 for close to 10-years; the X754 is so much more enjoyable to use.

The rains stopped long enough today that I was able to take a couple of after photos. Also I had a small batch of tumbleweeds that I couldn't get at with the X754, which meant I had to use the evil gas trimmer; so I decided to burn them and try out my smartassphone's video camera while tending the fire. Here is a short (~1-minute) video.

Burning tumbleweeds - YouTube

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I got a set of radio/noise cancelling headphones for when I mow. It's the only way to go. For work it sure can be enjoyable! :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well today I tried out the auto-connect deck to make sure it works, and I got to try the pallet forks I bought earlier this summer. Apparently the stealer doesn't have the deck set up quite right as getting the mower back on wasn't a 60-second process as YouBoob videos show. I made the mistake of removing/connecting the deck on our gravel driveway for more traction per the dealer's advice. I put the deck back in the garage to reconnect it. But I made my first modification to the X754's deck with stair tread grip tape for the tires to grab hold of. Much better! I guess I'll play with adjusting the deck in the next couple of days.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts