Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change the hydraulic oil in the front axle since I am at 670 hrs with the original oil. Does anyone know what size Allen wrench I need to remove the drain plugs on the front axle? There are two at the ends of the axle and one in the middle, looks like the drain plug in the middle is a larger hex than the others.

Also, I notice the rubber boot is torn on one of my tie rods (?). Is this something to be concerned about?

thanks.

·
Old Pa-pa
13,537 Posts
Not sure about my 4066 (didn't have that trouble yet), but one boot tore on my old IH 274 years ago
and I was able to get just a new boot from the IH dealer.
The old IH 274 has grease zerks unlike the 4066. :(

You're going to collect crud, dust and mud on the ball joint and that will hasten its' wear.

Haven't had to mess with the front axle, not enough hours yet for a fluid change.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,300 Posts
Also, I notice the rubber boot is torn on one of my tie rods (?). Is this something to be concerned about?
That sucks. I'd worry about it.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Just replaced my Tie Rod Ends because of water getting in the socket and wearing them out real fast! $161.00 later I got 2 new ones. If you want to check them for play use the loader to lift the front tires off the ground. Then grab a tire by the sides and try to move it right and left. If there worn the wheels will move a lot! I have a 4044M with 650+ hours.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just replaced my Tie Rod Ends because of water getting in the socket and wearing them out real fast! $161.00 later I got 2 new ones. If you want to check them for play use the loader to lift the front tires off the ground. Then grab a tire by the sides and try to move it right and left. If there worn the wheels will move a lot! I have a 4044M with 650+ hours. View attachment 780640
Thanks JD4044M! I just read your post on this and got the part number written down in case I need to order one - sounds like I will need it sooner or later. Interesting how my tractor has almost the same hours as yours - must be common for these to fail at this time.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
If there bad and you want to save a bunch of money remove one and take it to NAPA they have ones just like it for 1/3rd the cost! I paid $81.00 each for mine and they sell for $12,00-32.00 at the Auto stores! One is right and the other is left hand threads. One pop on the bottom and they come right out after removing the nut.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just buy a set of standard and metric allen wrenches or sockets, one of them will fit the plug and any future plugs on other machines that you have to remove.

Rick

Reactions: JimboSC and JD4044M

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just buy a set of standard and metric allen wrenches or sockets, one of them will fit the plug and any future plugs on other machines that you have to remove.

Rick
I just went to Lowes today and bought a metric set of Allen sockets - 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, etc. I have had bad experiences with allen fasteners in my lifetime; you think you got the right size and next thing you know the allen socket gets stripped-out.

The metric allen sockets I bought do not fit. The two plugs on the axle ends are just a teeny bit smaller than 5 mm. A 3/16” allen will fit but there is several degrees of play. I put some force on it but it didn’t loosen. Any greater force and I will likely strip it. Same thing goes with the drain on the differential. A 1/4” allen is the closest I could find but it fits too loose. I will need to buy a better set of allen wrenches with more sizes.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If 1/4" is too loose, I would try a 7mm allen wrench. Remember the fitting has paint so that will reduce the size. Chip the paint away first.
If you are concerned about stripping the allen opening, find the correct size pipe plug with a hex head. Then you can use a 6-point socket.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn’t see any other allen sizes available on Amazon, so I went with the 3/16” and the 1/4” allens and put full force on them. All three drain plugs busted loose without stripping! I thought these JD’s were all metric.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Broke another 3 Point Lift Arm Stud off you hang the Drag Links off of. Now it lifts on a 45 deg angle to get the Box Blade off the ground!!! Broke one off when it was brand new driving down the road on a bump the last time. This time I was shaking some stuck dirt out of my Box Blade and BANG like a Gun Shot it snapped off. Bet they want $60.00+ for a new pin! Last time warrantee covered it. I might look for after market on the pins!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I didn’t see any other allen sizes available on Amazon, so I went with the 3/16” and the 1/4” allens and put full force on them. All three drain plugs busted loose without stripping! I thought these JD’s were all metric.
I know what you mean, they’ll surprise you with how many bolts are actually SAE. Why they couldn’t just stick with one standard is beyond me.

Rick

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well your luckier than me. My diff one came out easy but one of my lower drive stripped. I had to drill and ez out. Got it but have to admit I had a picker factor when I put the drill bit up to it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well your luckier than me. My diff one came out easy but one of my lower drive stripped. I had to drill and ez out. Got it but have to admit I had a picker factor when I put the drill bit up to it.
My drain plugs had green paint on the threads - I think that made it more difficult to loosen. I hope you didn’t get any shavings inside the axle.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don’t think I did. I flushed it some but the few hours I put on the machine this winter should not of caused any major issues. I will change it again now that I have the blower off again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts