Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just finishing up yesterday and noticed that my front axle appeared to be leaking where it shouldn't... Is this something that is really bad or is it something that I can take care of, as I have no experience working on these.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Common

This is a common problem. The nut that holds it all together has no locking system on it (John Deere says the thread provides the locking). Its not hard to repair. I make the socket to remove the nut which is the hardest part. Here in my shop we put 1 drop of blue locktite on the nut when reinstalling. Socket2.jpg Socket3.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..

Kevin sent you a message asking about the socket. Also, since I have never worked on one of these any tips about how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. :unknown:

Thanks

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I had one leaking like that,,,
I drained the thin HyTran,,, and refilled it with 140W gear oil,,,

DONE,, no more leaking,,

WHY would they EVER put HyTran in the axle in the first place??:dunno:

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I see this is in the SCUT thread, but what model tractor is the one shown leaking in the photo's? It's hard to tell from the photos...........

Once that is determined, its very helpful to see the parts diagram which shows the assembly and components. But first we have to know for sure which tractor we are dealing with to give accurate and helpful information......................

·
Super Moderator
2,241 Posts
Here's a breakdown picture of the front outer axle. The seal in the pivot area is #25. I also included a pdf from the tech manual, showing assembly and disassembly of the front axle and front outer axle. You may not have to do all the steps of assem/disassem, just enough to get the outer axle off and get the seal out.

2019-06-18 19.40.24.png

View attachment 1025 disassem-assem frt axle.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts