Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pondering as to why JD hadn't provided a grease point for the front axle pivot on these tractors. Even my X360 had one.

Ive actually never ran into a tractor of this size or larger, for service, that didn't have one on the pivot bushings. This got me thinking.

Suppose I were to buy another pivot bolt, and lathe a hole in it with cross drilled holes to allow grease to get in the back side of the bushings. I saw on the exploded parts view, there are in fact two bushings at each end of the axle housing casting boss where the pivot bolt goes through. Does anyone know what these bushings are made of? Part number appears to be: MIU801707. I cant find any pictures or info in my google searching.

Obviously I would not drill the holes in such a way and size to reduce the strength of the bolt enough in this application, rather just a path for grease in the pivot.
I'm thinking a whole lot of enginerding went into this for the bean counters, as at least on mine, the front of the pivot bolt is loose in the laser cut hole in the front frame flange. If I jack up the tractor, and flex the front axle forward and backward using the front wheel, I can see the play in the hole, and it bending and flexing the rear flange ever so slightly.

I'm not asking for tapered roller bearings and thrust washers here, but come on! Think this is a good idea at all? Fixing a problem that isn't one? Has anyone actually worn these bushings out?

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
That is very odd. Most tractors use bushings on the front pivot but I’ve never seen one without a grease fitting. Like you mentioned, even lawn tractors have a grease zero on the front axle.

Reactions: greenharley

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Not sure what tractor your talking about but I see you posted about a 1025r before. Is this what your talking about?

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
I am surprised it would not as well. There are so many of them out there and I have never heard that before. Mine has them for the front and rear supports

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That is very odd. Most tractors use bushings on the front pivot but I’ve never seen one without a grease fitting. Like you mentioned, even lawn tractors have a grease zero on the front axle.
A lot of the old deeres did not have grease zerks, I added to my 318, 420, 430 in the last few years when I rebuilt the pivot area (bushings in axle, new bolt, washers, drilled for zerk). Not sure about the old round fenders or the squares, or the gravelys (FIL). Never did get under the JD A and B that my grandfather and my uncle who had JD A and massey-ferguson. Never even checked out the Fords 600 and 900 that my classmates father had for pivot points. I spent a lot of time around those and sometimes under when I would retrieve parts or tools that fell while they worked on them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not done a lot of work on any tractor smaller than even 30 horsepower, so its kind of odd to me not to have one. I understand the deletion of zerks on the steering cylinders and tie rods, as almost all large frame tractors (I'm talking 350 horse plus that aren't articulating) don't have them anymore.

To replace the bolt, with the new drilled one, I'll have to support the frame, so maybe ill just jack it up a bit and see what those bushings are made of, and their install tolerance into the axle housing. I'll order a new bolt, just to have a project to do when I "have" to be at home.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm pondering as to why JD hadn't provided a grease point for the front axle pivot on these tractors. Even my X360 had one.

Ive actually never ran into a tractor of this size or larger, for service, that didn't have one on the pivot bushings. This got me thinking.

Suppose I were to buy another pivot bolt, and lathe a hole in it with cross drilled holes to allow grease to get in the back side of the bushings. I saw on the exploded parts view, there are in fact two bushings at each end of the axle housing casting boss where the pivot bolt goes through. Does anyone know what these bushings are made of? Part number appears to be: MIU801707. I cant find any pictures or info in my google searching.

Obviously I would not drill the holes in such a way and size to reduce the strength of the bolt enough in this application, rather just a path for grease in the pivot.
I'm thinking a whole lot of enginerding went into this for the bean counters, as at least on mine, the front of the pivot bolt is loose in the laser cut hole in the front frame flange. If I jack up the tractor, and flex the front axle forward and backward using the front wheel, I can see the play in the hole, and it bending and flexing the rear flange ever so slightly.

I'm not asking for tapered roller bearings and thrust washers here, but come on! Think this is a good idea at all? Fixing a problem that isn't one? Has anyone actually worn these bushings out?
this guy read my mind(y)

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
My JD dealer didn't know why there is no zerk on the front axle. One of the techs thought maybe it is lubed by the oil in the front axle.

rob

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
My JD dealer didn't know why there is no zerk on the front axle. One of the techs thought maybe it is lubed by the oil in the front axle.

rob
That’s a good one. That would require seals in front of the bushings - which there are none.

·
Super Moderator
4,113 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
My guess is Mother Deere didn't consider it to be a high wear point.. I have a 1952 8N Ford tractor that doesn't have a grease zerk in the axle pivot. Last winter I pulled the pivot pin and replaced the bushing.
After 58 years of rugged use the pivot pin was in surprisingly good condition even without the benefit of any lubrication.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought about drilling a hole in the axle casting for a zerk, as this is where it should really go. I felt I would rather have a potentially ruined new pivot bolt rather than an axle housing.

Large AG tractors pulling tillage equipment need greaseable pins/bushings for two reasons.
1) Obvious reason is to lubricate the moving parts
2) Using said lubricant to flush any dirt and debris from the moving parts.

There aren't many seals in use on tillage equipment that survive the constant vibration and pounding the machine takes. This is why it is very important to maintain these joints so as not to allow the dirt to get in, and seize the parts.

I've not ever seen a pivot bushing that has suffered from seizure, but I've sure seen them wear out and into the front axle.
3 point hitch rock shafts are another story.

·
Premium Member
10,392 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.