Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1026r just hit 400 hrs. 50 of which were put on by me. Noticed today the left front axle is leaking a little. Its leaking between the top knuckle and the bottom gear case that pivots when the wheels are turned.

On the diagram its gear case 4 and 17. Leak is between there. Seal number 25 would likley be the culpret.

Ive been snow blowing all winter in 4wd. First I have noticed it leaking. Fluid level is still full on dip stick. Was a bit of air escaping when cover was removed. Im hoping its just the tempature differential and lack of axle breather that pushed a little gear oil out. We have had crazy temp swings around here this winter. 10 degrees then in the 50's the next day. Couple that with heat build up in front axle while snow blowing? Something simmilar happend on an older tractor.

In case it gets alot worse any one ever replace this seal?

Im definatley going to need a shop manual to tackle this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
967 Posts
There is a thread here on GTT that someone had the same issue. Don't remember the outcome but, I think it was a booger to do.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,837 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Reactions: PJR832 and Gizmo2

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

Funny I looked at that thread with the guy that installed the wheel spacers. Didnt get to page three tho haha.

Oil leaks set off my OCD but Im so busy these days Im just gonna leave it unless it starts pouring out. In that case the leak could be a clue something is wrong with bearings or something. Every thing feels tight and no wobble/binding so hopefully I wont need to do anything.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
My 1026r just hit 400 hrs. 50 of which were put on by me. Noticed today the left front axle is leaking a little. Its leaking between the top knuckle and the bottom gear case that pivots when the wheels are turned.

On the diagram its gear case 4 and 17. Leak is between there. Seal number 25 would likley be the culpret.

Ive been snow blowing all winter in 4wd. First I have noticed it leaking. Fluid level is still full on dip stick. Was a bit of air escaping when cover was removed. Im hoping its just the tempature differential and lack of axle breather that pushed a little gear oil out. We have had crazy temp swings around here this winter. 10 degrees then in the 50's the next day. Couple that with heat build up in front axle while snow blowing? Something simmilar happend on an older tractor.

In case it gets alot worse any one ever replace this seal?

Im definatley going to need a shop manual to tackle this one.
From what I understand it does have a axle breather. I've never had air escape checking the dip stick or when I changed the oil in the front axle.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I didn't think they did have a breather? I didn't notice a small rubber vent hose or anything like you'd find on a vented axle. unless it's a massive leak, if it were me I'd just keep an eye on the oil level in the axle, and add as needed. Changing temps will push oil past a seal that is borderline.

Reactions: PJR832 and Levi

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I guess you're right. It says it has a vent plug but it's a plug and is taken out when changing the oil in the front end so the oil comes out easier. :dunno: :munch:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just about had a heart attack. My shed was on fire!!! Spit my dinner out ran over to the shed AND realized I left my orange strobe light on. Crisis averted. Its been on since Sunday afternoon. Must not draw much amps tractor started right up as normal. Its a LED mag mount I leave on the ROPS so the neighborhood texting and driving teens don't kill me while I snow blow. My cigaret lighter outlet is corroded (previous owner left tractor outside) and I was messing with the strobe plug. I must have left the switch on the plug on by accident.

On a plus note while letting the tractor run for a bit and charge up the battery I checked the axle. No more drips. I hosed it down with break cleaner and will check back later. Little bit of greasy dirt in the joint so its probably been weeping for a bit. Im with you guys. As long as it doesnt leak too bad I will just keep an eye on it and live with it for now.

P.S JD why does my tractor not have an ammeter gage in the dash? Oil pressure and hydro temp gages would be nice to have as well. I want gages not "idiot" lights. I am already an idiot leaving my lights on see above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts