Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3033r location of axle vent is pictured according to Deere.. I am wondering how this vent works considering 24 hours after using my tractor there was still some pressure in the housing when loosening the dip stick

·
Premium Member
10,327 Posts
Should vent at any time. It's not a high-tech item. It's just a cap that is crimped over a fitting.
I am not sure that is correct. When I got my 2038r it would leak oil out the vent on the road. A couple months later there was an update to that vent and they came out to change it. It never leaked afterwards and I should check it because it always bothered me. I think it may not vent out, only in and I would prefer it not to have pressure for the seals.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure that is correct. When I got my 2038r it would leak oil out the vent on the road. A couple months later there was an update to that vent and they came out to change it. It never leaked afterwards and I should check it because it always bothered me. I think it may not vent out, only in and I would prefer it not to have pressure for the seals.
Yeah I would prefer it not to have pressure on the seals also as it has been an issue with John Deere for some time now causing premature failure of seals because of the pressure.. if mine does not vent out I will be making it so it vents out by screwing in a barb and running a hose up and then back down

·
Registered
X320, 3720 W/ 300cx loader, 5'ford 917 flail, CL 6' box blade, 64 massy 165
663 Posts
Yeah I would prefer it not to have pressure on the seals also as it has been an issue with John Deere for some time now causing premature failure of seals because of the pressure.. if mine does not vent out I will be making it so it vents out by screwing in a barb and running a hose up and then back down
If you do use a barb/hose deal put a small lawn mower filter on the end to keep the dirt and debris out.

·
Registered
663 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's about 5 to 7 psi(roughly). To much pressure for me.
My thoughts exactly and when I parked the tractor 2 days ago I released the pressure out of the fill plug and today when removing the vent there was still pressure in the housing.. my plan is to create my own vent using a fitting and a fuel like with a filter on the end so there is no pressure build up at all

·
Registered
663 Posts
I built my own vent/dipstick out stuff laying around my shop and JB-weld. Ran a hose off the top back along the frame up the fire wall then inverted it with filter pointed down. That way if I hose off under hood no water gets in.
My 3720 doesn't have a separate vent to work off of.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just thinking out loud here:

I agree the vent pressure seems high and completely understand not wanting oil seals leaking but, a slight positive pressure maintained in the axle housing will prevent moisture condensation contamination of the oil.
Where’s the sweet spot?
Oil change interval may need adjusting?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just thinking out loud here:

I agree the vent pressure seems high and completely understand not wanting oil seals leaking but, a slight positive pressure maintained in the axle housing will prevent moisture condensation contamination of the oil.
Where’s the sweet spot?
Oil change interval may need adjusting?
Exactly I’m not sure about where the sweet spot is I would think somewhere between 2-3 psi but it may be hard to achieve that low of a threshold at the price point they are at along with not having a high fail rate.. I didn’t think about the positive pressure reducing moisture in the case.. to be honest I didn’t know that.. I think at this point I am going to trust the John Deere design team.. not sure if that’s a good idea or not we shal find out.. another question is at what pressure are the seal rated for.. I believe most automotive axle seals are rated right around 7 psi

·
Registered
663 Posts
5 to 7 pounds is to much in my thinking. I could understand maybe 1pound. Just to keep water from seeping in through seals if it got submerged somehow. But that would be tops.
Quite simply though. How often do you find water in the diffs on your truck? There open to atmosphere. If the above mentioned is true your truck diffs would be milky all the time. The only time I got water in a diff was 4 wheeling a creek in WV. But I was running in 4ft of water.

Either way I will soon find out as mine is and will be vented/filtered. The seal alone for my 3720 was $75ea at dealer. I'll just keep an eye on fluid condition.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
5 to 7 pounds is to much in my thinking. I could understand maybe 1pound. Just to keep water from seeping in through seals if it got submerged somehow. But that would be tops.
Quite simply though. How often do you find water in the diffs on your truck? There open to atmosphere. If the above mentioned is true your truck diffs would be milky all the time. The only time I got water in a diff was 4 wheeling a creek in WV. But I was running in 4ft of water.

Either way I will soon find out as mine is and will be vented/filtered. The seal alone for my 3720 was $75ea at dealer. I'll just keep an eye on fluid condition.
I agree with you I think 5-7 psi is way to much I can’t see how positive pressure from the inside would benefit the longevity of the seals in any way and I rarely drive my tractor though anything deeper than a puddle.. if water can get in the seals then fluid can get out? Correct so the seal would have to fail for water to get in. Or am I wrong?

I was planning to find a barbed fitting to screw into the housing in that location and run 1/4” fuel line up into the front of the hood loop it around so it’s facing down and put one of these on the end

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I agree with you I think 5-7 psi is way to much I can’t see how positive pressure from the inside would benefit the longevity of the seals in any way and I rarely drive my tractor though anything deeper than a puddle.. if water can get in the seals then fluid can get out? Correct so the seal would have to fail for water to get in. Or am I wrong?

I was planning to find a barbed fitting to screw into the housing in that location and run 1/4” fuel line up into the front of the hood loop it around so it’s facing down and put one of these on the end View attachment 794852
Those filters would probably work. I’ve used old gas filters from my lawnmower for axle hose vents to keep dirt and water out. They’re basically free!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those filters would probably work. I’ve used old gas filters from my lawnmower for axle hose vents to keep dirt and water out. They’re basically free!
6 bucks for 3 is basically free in today’s world.. especially for a brass filter rather than a plastic housing with a paper filter but idk

1 - 20 of 57 Posts