Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at almost 500 hours on my 1025r I've developed a pretty good clunk on the front axle.

It started only under load (FEL weight) and I could feel it through the steering before I could hear it. Now I can hear it when I make a left turn without load and feel it through the steering.

This isn't a little click, it's pretty solid contact being made between two parts. I haven't been able to track it down to a specific area but if I had to bet on something, I'd say right side final drive has something going on in it.

I've done a recent service, changed fluid, greased...nothing excessive in terms of metal in the fluid from the front end. It also did not make it go away (here's to hoping right? ;) ) So, anyone want to throw some ideas my way? Is disassembly of the final drive a fairly straight forward task? I am guessing a bad bearing is the culprit.

Any knowledge, experience or assistance appreciated!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So at almost 500 hours on my 1025r I've developed a pretty good clunk on the front axle.

It started only under load (FEL weight) and I could feel it through the steering before I could hear it. Now I can hear it when I make a left turn without load and feel it through the steering.

This isn't a little click, it's pretty solid contact being made between two parts. I haven't been able to track it down to a specific area but if I had to bet on something, I'd say right side final drive has something going on in it.

I've done a recent service, changed fluid, greased...nothing excessive in terms of metal in the fluid from the front end. It also did not make it go away (here's to hoping right? ;) ) So, anyone want to throw some ideas my way? Is disassembly of the final drive a fairly straight forward task? I am guessing a bad bearing is the culprit.

Any knowledge, experience or assistance appreciated!
Anyone ever have one of the final drives apart? Anything in particular to look for or lookout for?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Can you simply jack up one side, and with the 4WD engaged, simply rotate the tire back and forth by hand,, to see if you can duplicate the noise? :dunno:

Then, do the same to the other side,,

if both sides are the same,, it might only be a bad drive universal joint, or something else simple,,

My 1995 Suburban did that,, I changed the oil to a synthetic, the noise quit,,
at least, I do not hear it anymore!! :laugh:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you simply jack up one side, and with the 4WD engaged, simply rotate the tire back and forth by hand,, to see if you can duplicate the noise? :dunno:

Then, do the same to the other side,,

if both sides are the same,, it might only be a bad drive universal joint, or something else simple,,

My 1995 Suburban did that,, I changed the oil to a synthetic, the noise quit,,
at least, I do not hear it anymore!! :laugh:
Tried that, was hoping that is what it was too!

No sounds generated unless there is weight on the wheels. With weight on (full FEL) left, right and straight you can hear it. Without anything in the FEL you can only hear it making a tight left turn.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Question- Can you duplicate the noise in both 2wd and 4wd? That would make a difference regarding your thoughts on final drive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another thought...In the automotive/light diesel world the loaded side (bearing, hub, axle etc.) rarely makes a noise. if you hear it tight left think left because the right is loaded and vice versa.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Make sure to check the front wheels to make sure they are tight........

(One can always dream its a simple solution, like changing the fluid.....)

Here is a link to the front spindle assembly in the Parts Diagram

John Deere Parts Catalog

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Can’t say what’s wrong for sure. But, check the u-joints. They will sometimes make clicking noises as they start to fail.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok not sure if if this is relevant but here goes.
Have owned a 750 MFWD tractor for many years. Took delivery of a new 1025r. I noticed that the front axle and front spindles are similar in design.
I said all that to say I had to replace the bearings in the front spindles on my 750 after having the exact symptoms you described.
It was not a bad job. There are two gears, two bearings and two seals on the front spindle housing attached to a vertical shaft of the 750. Just looking at the parts diagram of the 1025r, it seems to be very similar in design. One of those bearings was bad but not locked up. Was just loose and worn. When under load it would pop and rattle so I replaced all the bearings and seals.

John Deere Parts Catalog

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok not sure if if this is relevant but here goes.
Have owned a 750 MFWD tractor for many years. Took delivery of a new 1025r. I noticed that the front axle and front spindles are similar in design.
I said all that to say I had to replace the bearings in the front spindles on my 750 after having the exact symptoms you described.
It was not a bad job. There are two gears, two bearings and two seals on the front spindle housing attached to a vertical shaft of the 750. Just looking at the parts diagram of the 1025r, it seems to be very similar in design. One of those bearings was bad but not locked up. Was just loose and worn. When under load it would pop and rattle so I replaced all the bearings and seals.

John Deere Parts Catalog

Hope this helps.
I was looking at the diagram a few weeks ago. I also had seen other tractors with the same issue and in each case it was simply a bad bearing. I am leaning hard toward that and thinking disassembly will yield an answer one way or another.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can’t say what’s wrong for sure. But, check the u-joints. They will sometimes make clicking noises as they start to fail.
Yep, they are in good shape. That was my fist thought as well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question- Can you duplicate the noise in both 2wd and 4wd? That would make a difference regarding your thoughts on final drive.
I can't remember. I know we tested it but I honestly forget what the results were. I'll try it again tonight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm assuming your tractor does it in MFD if you checked the univerals in your last post (otherwise you wasted time) I was trained to always work from the outside in. we call it toot (tight on outside of turn) that's what one of my previous statements regarded. imoh you must determine 2wd or 4wd then work wheel in. just like other posters stated start at wheel torque and move IN.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I wonder if it could be the large pivot joint where the entire front axle pivots on the frame. These tractors, inexplicably, have no grease fitting on that joint (don't get me started) . I bet in 500 hours of loader use that pivot could have play in it, and would explain your symptoms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts