Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well gang, here is a topic that I haven't seen a lot about on the internet. There is tons of information on rear ballast, but front ballast is just not talked about at least not in depth anyway. And it just so happens I have been doing research on it as well as applying it. First of all let me tell you how this all started. After using my 3pt sprayer, 3pt spreader, box blade, and tiller I felt that I was on the edge of improper ballast for the front. Yeah, chores were being accomplished but was I really safe and efficient? My conclusion was no and thus I quickly ordered up my two extensions and seven weights as that is what the Deere info. said they would hold. At the risk of looking foolish, I will let you know of my blunder, though in the end it turned out OK. After my rush to place the order, I THEN consulted the manual and to my surprise I found that the front of the machines will accept the weights without the extensions. The frames already have the bracket and the holes for the lock rod. What I found was the 2305 will hold 5 weights and the 2520 will hold 3. By adding the extensions I will be able to add the full seven weights to both machines, though I probably would be OK with five on the 2305. I know why most people do not add these weights and extension, the $$$$$ adds up quickly. The extension alone is $180 and each weight is $52. Now for the 1000 series, apparently, per the manual you CAN NOT ADD FRONT WEIGHTS WITHOUT THE EXTENSION.

Before bolting on the extensions I had a concern, would they work with the front quick attaches without interfering. As you can see, they can not. So, what I decided is that the extension would probably be on in the summer and the Quick hitches will be on in the winter any way. Somewhat of an inconvenience but it is only a couple of bolts. I have attached excerpts from each of the manuals as well as some helpful photos. Also, it looks like the same bracket (part number LVB25363) is used across the 1000 and 2000 series machines. The attached photos are of the tractors without the extensions.

http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/salesmanual/en_NA/tractors/attachments/ballasting_and_optimizing_performance/cuts/lvb25363_front_weight_bracket_extension_kit_2305.html

Attachments

Reactions: pdoug

·
Corndog Hater
11,793 Posts
Great info Randy. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. When I had the 2320, if I needed front weight, I just used the FEL and will probably do so with the 1026R. With the X728, I fashioned a tray that attached to the front using the integrated 1-1/4" receiver. In the tray I put (3) 50lb old elevator weights I have. You are right, front ballast sure makes everything seem much more "planted". I am curoius though, can the front grill guards be left on when the extension is on the machine?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info Randy. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. When I had the 2320, if I needed front weight, I just used the FEL and will probably do so with the 1026R. With the X728, I fashioned a tray that attached to the front using the integrated 1-1/4" receiver. In the tray I put (3) 50lb old elevator weights I have. You are right, front ballast sure makes everything seem much more "planted".
True, the FEL makes for a great front weight, but I find it a bit combersome with all that out in front getting in the way. :laugh: I think with all the hills I drive on I am best with the weights.

I am curoius though, can the front grill guards be left on when the extension is on the machine?
CP, Yes the grill/hood guard can be left on and still use the extension. I could probably be talked into a photo if you have the need.

·
Registered
579 Posts
On the contrary, you can hang four or five weights on the front of a 1000. The only limitation is that there is no place for the $40 lock down pin to go. Previously on my 425 I used 1/2" zip ties to keep the sc weights from bouncing off. I had ordered the extension bracket for my new R. After I saw that the QH top mount had to be bolted in the same place as the extension, I sent it back.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the contrary, you can hang four or five weights on the front of a 1000.
So you are saying the JD liturature is in error?:unknown:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Well, there are many times when practical application trumps technical jargon. I know, I know... Without a pic it never happened. I'll see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
947 Posts
What is this for? Possibly to hold the cable for the mechanical spout control?

Just curious...

Thanks

Attachments

·
Corndog Hater
11,793 Posts
True, the FEL makes for a great front weight, but I find it a bit combersome with all that out in front getting in the way. :laugh: I think with all the hills I drive on I am best with the weights.

CP, Yes the grill/hood guard can be left on and still use the extension. I could probably be talked into a photo if you have the need.
Agreed, the FEL is cumbersome as front weight. I am lucky to have a lot of wide open spaces that are flat.:thumbup1gif: I would never turn down a pic, but don't feel the need to go out of your way. Thanks again Randy :good2:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is this for? Possibly to hold the cable for the mechanical spout control?

Just curious...

Thanks
:good2::dance::good2::dance: Yup exactly, for the blower.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would never turn down a pic, but don't feel the need to go out of your way. Thanks again Randy :good2:
Oh sure, guilt me in to a photo. :mocking: Maybe the weekend though.

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As Promised.

Agreed, the FEL is cumbersome as front weight. I am lucky to have a lot of wide open spaces that are flat.:thumbup1gif: I would never turn down a pic, but don't feel the need to go out of your way. Thanks again Randy :good2:
Well CP, The little picture session I promised you turned into an all afternoon ordeal. To my surprise the brackets and weights did not fit together AT ALL! I had to machine some clearance to get it all to work. I like my milling machine. :yahoo: I could have used a grinder but this turned out nicer.

After machining the clearances I top it all off with a fresh coat of paint.

Thank you CP, I would have been really upset had it come time to use them and they would not fit together. I am now set to go. Thanks again. :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
Ok Randy, nice job! However your tractor(s) looks brand new. Do you actually use it or just modify it and make it better? Looking at those pictures make a guy think you work for a John Deere product development outfit.

I envy your nicely equipped shop. Sweet. Keep up the cool posts.

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
I could have used a grinder but this turned out nicer
So true Randy.
A grinder would have been much quicker,but the mill gave you a professional looking job.
Very nice work there guy!:thumbup1gif:

Greg

·
Corndog Hater
11,793 Posts
I agree with glc, that mill really did the trick.:thumbup1gif: Glad I could be of service by requesting the pic, and I'm sure you had nothing else better planned for that afternoon.:lol::mocking:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok Randy, nice job! However your tractor(s) looks brand new. Do you actually use it or just modify it and make it better? Looking at those pictures make a guy think you work for a John Deere product development outfit.

I envy your nicely equipped shop. Sweet. Keep up the cool posts.
Yup, I am a washer and waxer. :mocking: Your silly, ya know I have pics all over this place with my machines in action. :thumbup1gif: Here are a couple to refresh your memory.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?1434-2520-with-Tiller-at-Work&highlight=2520+tiller

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?851-2520-Digging-Dirt&highlight=2520

Seriously though, it is a personality thing, I like working on clean machines. It is a pride thing too, I just like nice stuff and it really doesn't take that much more effort in the end. Just giving everyone a heads up on potential issues and my unique way of solving them. Hope can enjoy.

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
I couldn't agree more. It's much nicer to work on clean equipment in a clean well lit shop.

I was only poking ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Randy -
How does the pin fit on the 2520 once you have the weights installed? I bought the JD pin (LVU14400) and when I install all 5 of the weights, I cannot get the pin in! I can get one side in and slide it across the top of the weights, but cannot to get it to align with the other hole. removing 2 of the weights helps, so I am thinking it's a clearance issue? If you recall, I have a 2320 which holds 5 weights without the extension. I had to cut a piece of 1/2" rebar to get me through the weight install so I could put the rotary cutter on the back of mine. I am using my Dad's weights from his 990, but they are still JD and I am assuming the same. After I cut the field, I removed the weights and put the loader back on and have not messed with it since. Any insight you could provide would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
JDfun

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Randy -
How does the pin fit on the 2520 once you have the weights installed? JDfun
JDF,
Yes there is a trick to getting the lock rod installed. What I did was place a jack with a 2x4 under the front of the wieghts and lift them all slightly untill the rod could be installed. I also just hit the top of the locking ledge with a file to clean up the high spots. Trying to thread the rod through one by one over the weights is just not going to do it. Here is a pic of the instalation.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts