Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To compliment the "Rear Ballast" sticky, I thought we could toss around some ideas about front ballasting for us snow plow/blower users. If you do use a ballast box you are slinging weight way too far to the rear for decent front traction when your front implement is on the ground. Not too much trouble when using a blower, but a plow could be far more effective at an angle with more weight on the front wheels. I know I won't have any trouble with rear traction (rear chains + 4WD), but I'd like a simple and effective way to add 200# or so up front for plowing. (1026r) In my case liquid ballast in any of the tires is out.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,103 Posts
A real heavy duty cutting edge, need traction....raise the plow just a touch.

Reactions: HydroHarold

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A real heavy duty cutting edge, need traction....raise the plow just a touch.
Yes, been doing that with my GT all along. I'd just like to "square up" the front weight a little. Seems a bit much to lever all that BB weight waay out back there.

Plowing with smaller trucks I always liked my weight square in the middle of the wheelbase. Good performance with plow up and equal traction with blade down and way safer in a head-on event. 10 wheelers really don't matter, a sander or load in the bed gives great traction and little deflection. (Unless you catch a hidden culvert!:laugh:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I too have been thinking about this. I was wondering if 2 weights per side could be added to the front quick hitch with a simple bracket. I need to do some checking with mine after I order out some weights. The big thing I was looking at is making a dethatcher to mount where the blade would. I need the weights to balance out the three point bagger.

I do not know if all front hitches are the same as I have a 2305. There is a partial round recess for a 5/8 bolt at the top, a hole for a 5/8 bolt several inches lower, and a hole for a 1/2 inch bolt a few inches forward. I have a simple design in my head, jsut don't know if it would clear an angled blade. The blower should be no problem as they don't angle.

Might have to drop a note to Artillian or Heavy hitch....

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I was chaining up the GX in the shop today I was looking out at the 1026 and wondered about some suitcase weights attached to the loader masts. In my book that would be the perfect point to add a couple to each side...

Reactions: Team_Green
1 - 5 of 5 Posts