Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice. My 1025 R is equipped with a FEL, and a front blade.I use the quik attach feature for both. I want to level my stone drive..small limestone gravel, .. should I use my blade or FEL. or buy a box blade? I mentioned in another reply that I used to use my front blade with my IH 982 on my former drive. Kind of a pain , but turned out good. There is a weedy strip right down the center of my current drive. Any suggestions?...I am not afraid of a challenge. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
How long is drive? Might want a land plane?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My drive is about 800 feet. What is a land plane?

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I would not push it. I have a box blade and its a lot eaiser on tractor pulling it. I would be afraid to use my front quick hitch and blade. Too much expensive stuff to damage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not push it. I have a box blade and its a lot eaiser on tractor pulling it. I would be afraid to use my front quick hitch and blade. Too much expensive stuff to damage.
Thanks..would any cat 1, 3 point brand work?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I use a rake for keeping mine maintained. My drive is not as long as yours but its easy to throw the rake on and fix it. I would usd the fel to take out the middle and the weeds would be easy to pick up with a rake.

I have found that the rake, for me is a better multi-purpose implement.

Good luck!
WB

·
Registered
322 Posts
I second the land plane recommendation for leveling, look on Everything Attachment's website for videos and models.

Another option is a landscape rake which is what I use for minor leveling and to keep it looking good.
Are the trailing castor wheels standard equipment or an add-on? If an add-on, where would one get them? I'd like something like that for my rear blade and/or rake. Thanks!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Are the trailing castor wheels standard equipment or an add-on? If an add-on, where would one get them? I'd like something like that for my rear blade and/or rake. Thanks!
Those are an option with the Woods brand rakes and scraper blades and are specific to which model you get. They bolt to an existing welded on bracket under the rake so I doubt they would work on other brands unless you could fabricate that bracket. In the photo you can sorta see part of the bracket the tail wheel assembly is bolted to.

I would assume most other brands of rakes have them as an option as well? Plus I've seen generic types advertised that use the tine bolts to hold them on, don't remember where, maybe TSC or one of the other big farm stores?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your drive looks amazing. All you use is that rake? Nice!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
20180907_122708.jpg
this is the stuff overtaking my drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Eric. That is not moss..it is a low growing creeping weed. I am surrounded by another farmers corn, all the way up to my yard and drive, so I am hesitant to use weed killer for fear of drift, although that was my first inclination.I have a pull behind sprayer for my Tank..as well as Roundup and 2-4-D.The latter is awful for drift. So I figured I can scrape up the offending weed and claim my driveway back.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Thanks Eric. That is not moss..it is a low growing creeping weed. I am surrounded by another farmers corn, all the way up to my yard and drive, so I am hesitant to use weed killer for fear of drift, although that was my first inclination.I have a pull behind sprayer for my Tank..as well as Roundup and 2-4-D.The latter is awful for drift. So I figured I can scrape up the offending weed and claim my driveway back.

The weeds overtaking your drive look like the have a shallow root system? I would suspect a rake would pull them out pretty easy? I was wondering if on a calm day you could use your sprayer to help reclaim your drive?

Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The weeds overtaking your drive look like the have a shallow root system? I would suspect a rake would pull them out pretty easy? I was wondering if on a calm day you could use your sprayer to help reclaim your drive?

Good luck!
Kinda thought the same thing.24D is a no no at this time though.so, I .guess Round up in my boom sprayer.
Looking at it today, it does seem like a shallow rooted weed. I was hoping my front blade would take it up, the grass has also overtaken about a foot on each side of the length of my drive. I am really leaning towards a box blade , because of the versatility. For my 1025r, would I keep my loader on for extra weight in front , and is a 48" BB sufficient? I am such a newbie with this SCUT.
I really am grateful for all of the input.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Kinda thought the same thing.24D is a no no at this time though.so, I .guess Round up in my boom sprayer.
Looking at it today, it does seem like a shallow rooted weed. I was hoping my front blade would take it up, the grass has also overtaken about a foot on each side of the length of my drive. I am really leaning towards a box blade , because of the versatility. For my 1025r, would I keep my loader on for extra weight in front , and is a 48" BB sufficient? I am such a newbie with this SCUT.
I really am grateful for all of the input.
Yes you need to keep the fel on for ballast. Whatever you are using on the back you need the weight on the front to keep the front end on the ground. Also you dont want to just leave the fel on without weight on the back to keep from tipping over. Plus if you are using a box blade or a rake having the fel on, makes life easier. You can pile up the rocks or weeds and scoop them right up and get rid of them or if you have a low spot that is farther away than you can drag material to its easy to use the fel again.

I have a box blade and a rake and I use the rake more than the bb. I think the only reason i still have the bb is for the rippers. I found that without the hydraulic setup on the back for the 3 pt hitch, my hands cant take the constan adjustments I have to make with the bb. The rake I just set on the ground and and leave it. I am going to put wheels on the rake so i can adjust it more in the future.

The nice thing is the versatility these tractors give you. With time you will be looking for things to do. My one recommendation is if you get the box blade make sure it has the blade on the back so you can push and pull with it. There are several brands out there. I have a frontier but I bought it used off of Craigslist. I wouldnt pay the full price for it. I love the Frontier products but they are to high priced for me. I will buy them if i can get a deal.

I hope that helps. Anytime I can be of help let me know. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wentonbrown , thank you . I dont have a ballast box on my SCUT , did not know I needed one when using the FEL. Yikes! Sometimes I scare myself.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I need advice. My 1025 R is equipped with a FEL, and a front blade.I use the quik attach feature for both. I want to level my stone drive..small limestone gravel, .. should I use my blade or FEL. or buy a box blade? I mentioned in another reply that I used to use my front blade with my IH 982 on my former drive. Kind of a pain , but turned out good. There is a weedy strip right down the center of my current drive. Any suggestions?...I am not afraid of a challenge. Thanks.
I have a 2305 and use the box blade to level and remove potholes. Then I add gravel with the FEL and back drag with the bucket to smooth it out. Then to put the finishing touches on the drive I use the rake with wheels. The wheels are well worth every penny.

Doug

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts