Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I remember seeing a thread about a guy who tabbed a front dethatcher for his loader using the artillian bracket and a dethatcher. I think I found it but the links for the pics have gone bad. I'm looking for some pics or ideas on what's needed to fab this up correctly.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
So I remember seeing a thread about a guy who tabbed a front dethatcher for his loader using the artillian bracket and a dethatcher. I think I found it but the links for the pics have gone bad. I'm looking for some pics or ideas on what's needed to fab this up correctly.
Haven’t seen that one but I’ve got a front dethatcher on my 1025r. Fabricated a bracket to use the lift cylinder from my quick hitch.

https://youtu.be/VTuBcIFwDoI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
A fellow, here in MN, markets a front Quick Hitch mount for the JD Thatcher. I purchased one, but as we STILL have an abundance of snow on the ground and more on the way, I haven't bothered to take it out of the box. The only hook with this on a 1025R, from what I understand, is the Quick Hitch and mower deck cannot be mounted simultaneously on the 1025R. So you wouldn't be able to mow and dethatch simultaneously.

Here is the link to the discussion on the MTF forum. There is also some links to a couple of YouTube videos within the discussion.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/12-john-deere-forum/1237970-%2Aquick-hitch-de-thatcher-attachment%2A.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’ve been thinking about setting something like this up myself. I bought a CMP 3 point dethatcher a few years ago but found that while it works well as a rake, it really doesn’t “dethatch” the lawn due to it being too light and not having any downforce from the 3 point hitch. I probably should try it again with some cinder blocks strapped to it, but I was also thinking if I got the 3 point adapter for my Artillian fork frame I could attach the dethatcher to that and use a little downforce from the loader. What do you all think of that idea?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I’ve been thinking about setting something like this up myself. I bought a CMP 3 point dethatcher a few years ago but found that while it works well as a rake, it really doesn’t “dethatch” the lawn due to it being too light and not having any downforce from the 3 point hitch. I probably should try it again with some cinder blocks strapped to it, but I was also thinking if I got the 3 point adapter for my Artillian fork frame I could attach the dethatcher to that and use a little downforce from the loader. What do you all think of that idea?
I'm thinking it needs to float. Otherwise, it'll rip the lawn up pretty good as you encounter the typical unevenness.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm thinking it needs to float. Otherwise, it'll rip the lawn up pretty good as you encounter the typical unevenness.
m

True, there’s plenty of unevenness in my lawn. Unfortunately out here in the great Pacific NW we end up with a nice thick carpet of moss growing in our lawns after the long wet winter. A treatment of moss out or an iron supplement kills it and turns it black but then it has to be raked out. People out here usually rent power dethatchers from Home Depot or whatever, but with about an acre and a half of grass that’d take me a few days to get it all out, and then there’s the problem of what to with all the raked up dead moss... I was hoping to find a solution with what I have that wouldn’t require renting additional equipment. I’ve been thinking of getting that 3pt adaptor for the Artillian frame anyway. Maybe I’ll try the cinder block approach this year and see how that works.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I really like my front mount dethatcher. Everything in one pass. The dethatcher just rides on the front tires. I’ve seen the ones that use the quick hitch but to me there are two issues. 1). It’s to close to the ground. Pretty sure it would drag in most spots in my lawn. 2). In order to work properly a dethatcher needs to float. The quick hitch can float, but it won’t float fast enough to follow the ground properly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought the steel yesterday to make a bracket to move my JD thatcher from my GT 235 to my 1025r. I will post pic of what I come up with.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I’ve been looking for a de thatcher. In your opinions do they actually work? I was looking at a bluebird d110. Similar process it just has a 5hp has engine to do the work

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
There's a few threads on here and MTF that are discussing front mount dethatchers and installing them various ways, one being a quick hitch.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I will hopefully have pictures tomorrow. I engineered a bracket to install my existing JD thatcher on my 1025r in the exact same fashion as my GT 235. Here is the interesting kicker... There are two square holes in the H120 loader bracket that nearly match the bracket that holds the thatcher in the up postiion on the GT 235. I was able to transfer the bracket almost seamlessly.

It was very interesting how easily this all came together. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dead thread

I believe this is the thread I first saw JD1026R w Protero Dethatcher via FEL. Anyone know where I can get more info?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts