Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So was doing my greasing today and noticed something about the 2 bolts that hold the plastic cover over the front drive shaft. The bolt holes on the cover are slotted such that if you loosing the nuts and twist it you could get the cover off without having to remove the entire nut and bolt.

That would be great IF only the bolts were installed correctly with the bolt head with washer on the front side of the tractor and the nut on the backside. HOWEVER JD on mine did not do that and while i can flip the left hand side around easy enough the right hand side does not really have enough clearance for me to get that bolt started from the front.

Other 2032/8R owners notice which way their bolts are installed?

·
Premium Member
16,062 Posts
According to JD Parts, the bolts that retain the plastic cover don't have nuts (#5). It looks like only #7 has nuts and those appear to secure plate #3.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
They didn't do their due diligence on this part of the design in my opinion. My bolt heads are too big to get the cover over even without the washer. Additionally, the holes in the flange are threaded and there's a nut, which all seems very redundant and ended up with me snapping of the bolt with very little force.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to JD Parts, the bolts that retain the plastic cover don't have nuts (#5). It looks like only #7 has nuts and those appear to secure plate #3.

View attachment 780543
More confused now, cause that is not how mine is assembled. The bolts and nuts are on opposite sides of the driveshaft 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions. That assemble shows them both on the same side.

·
Premium Member
16,062 Posts
I cut a hole in mine with a hole saw. No more taking it off.
After seeing your photo it appears they ARE assembled like the JD Parts diagram. It's just that the dotted line from #9 is very misleading. It sort of looks like it goes to #7 but it really goes to #5. By putting those washers and nuts on there they sure negated the convenience of having slotted mounting holes on the plastic cover.

You're solution seems to be the best way to go.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually if they just turned the bolts around I am pretty sure the nuts will fit through the wider portion of the slot. However number 5 you can not turn around with the tractor assembled, maybe that is why the reversed them is they discovered it made assembly too difficult and this was an easy fix.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the topic, anyone have tips for getting the u-joint in the right position to grease? I seem to constantly have to roll the machine forward and back and even with the tranny in N and MFWD disengaged I can not hand turn that shaft.

·
Premium Member
3,950 Posts
On the topic, anyone have tips for getting the u-joint in the right position to grease? I seem to constantly have to roll the machine forward and back and even with the tranny in N and MFWD disengaged I can not hand turn that shaft.
You can lift the front axle off the ground with the loader so you can spin the shaft. I roll one of the tires and it makes turning the shaft easy. Most of the time I have to take weight off the front axle so the trunnion will take grease.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Reactions: wildbranch2007
1 - 10 of 10 Posts