Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 model year 855 tractor. Can anyone tell me what the model number would be for a front end loader for this tractor. I would need the entire setup. Looking to buy something used & don't really know where to look for one or what to shop for. Thanks.
:think:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Reactions: Maddog

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it's a model 70A. I've got a friend who's in the same predicament as you. I started a thread last year searching for one and nothing has come up. Kenny said that the're extremly hard to find............and if you find one...........it would be in pretty rough shape.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/5728-looking-model-70a-front-end-loader.html
Thanks. At least now I know what I'm looking for in terms of a model number. I've got no pressing need on finding one, but I will keep my eyes open. A few years back I kept trying to find a front snow blade fo my 855. Took a long time but I finally found one from a private seller about two hours from my house & it was in really great shape except for one hose I had to replace. You just never know what your going to find out there.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sadly, there are far more tractors without loaders than loaders without tractors. While it is not an impossible task, it is difficult and likely to be pricey. It is usually cheaper to buy a tractor with a loader, than to buy them separately. If your search stretches out, you can always take a look aftermarket, ie. Woods, Westendorf, Koyker. I see tractors priced all the time that if one added a mower and loader, the total price would be close to new.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly, there are far more tractors without loaders than loaders without tractors. While it is not an impossible task, it is difficult and likely to be pricey. It is usually cheaper to buy a tractor with a loader, than to buy them separately. If your search stretches out, you can always take a look aftermarket, ie. Woods, Westendorf, Koyker. I see tractors priced all the time that if one added a mower and loader, the total price would be close to new.
I think your right on the priceing & the difficulty in finding one. But I did a quick search for Non Deere loaders & found at least one aftermarket brand but can't recall the name. I think it was KeroKey or something like that. They had one ranging from about $2,900 to $5,000 depending on how you were equipping it. So there are aftermarket rigs available. But if I could find a small Garden tractor that had a loader on it & in good shape I would buy it. I'm not in any heavy duty need for it, but I see some jobs that I might want to tackle if I had a loader. And the alternative for me would be to just go out & hire a landscaper or construction contractor to do the task at hand & be done with it. The problem with some of these attachments is that you see yourself doing all sorts of things with it, but in the end you do the one or two jobs & it's game over. On the other hand if your always in need for a bucket, then that's a different story.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know two people who have acquired 855's, one just a couple of weeks ago, both with loaders, one also with the backhoe. The 70A loader is a very nice loader and is capable of doing a lot. Prior to owning, it is difficult to imagine everything that a loader can accomplish, but, it is almost like having person. You can easily accomplish that which would be impossible or difficult for a single man to accomplish alone. That being said. the next best attachment for a loader is pallet forks, even if just the clamp or chain on kind. They allow handling of large objects or bulky objects such as piles of brush. I know guys who use forks much more than their buckets. Food for thought, but personally, I can't imagine any tractor other than very big tillage, meeting it's maximum utility without a loader.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My 855 (1987) came with a model 52 loader.
Works fine.
Good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 1989 model year 855 tractor. Can anyone tell me what the model number would be for a front end loader for this tractor. I would need the entire setup. Looking to buy something used & don't really know where to look for one or what to shop for. Thanks.
:think:
Check out Westendorf loaders at Front-End Tractor Loaders by Westendorf: Shade Canopy, Snow Plow, Hay Equipment they claim they make loaders to fit almost any make or model and all of their loaders are quick attach I believe. They claim to be better than a OEM loader.

Rick

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe it's a model 70A. I've got a friend who's in the same predicament as you. I started a thread last year searching for one and nothing has come up. Kenny said that the're extremly hard to find............and if you find one...........it would be in pretty rough shape.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/5728-looking-model-70a-front-end-loader.html
The 70A is the correct FEL for the 855. I searched for about a year until I found one in another state. It was in perfect condition and I paid $2100 for it 3 years ago. I will never own a tractor without a FEL again, changes the usefulness of the machine dramatically. The 70A is a nice loader that seems perfectly matched for the 855 so keep looking and be willing to pay when one eventually comes up.

Reactions: Maddog

·
Registered
163 Posts
The 70A is the correct FEL for the 855. I searched for about a year until I found one in another state. It was in perfect condition and I paid $2100 for it 3 years ago. I will never own a tractor without a FEL again, changes the usefulness of the machine dramatically. The 70A is a nice loader that seems perfectly matched for the 855 so keep looking and be willing to pay when one eventually comes up.

Bringing this one back to the top...

I have a 430 loader on my 4310 and a 300cx on my cabbed 3520 and I love them! My 855 however did not have one and I always wanted one for it. Long story short I just bought a salvaged tractor that had been through a fire with what looks to be a nice 70a loader. I intend on putting it on my 855 and repainting it as well as replacing any hoses. My question for you guys is...what will I be getting myself into moving the loader valve and hydraulics from the burnt tractor to my tractor?mi have net gotten the salvage tractor home yet to really give it a once over so curiousity is getting the best of me!

Thanks, Junkman

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Administrator
18,546 Posts
Ski, I think a new thread is in order...

But, there is no way to answer your question intelligently as we don't know hot the fire was or how badly the machine was "burnt" from your description. I usually expect the worse, so I can imagine at least melted seals and hoses, as well as possibly warped cylinder rods and frame structure.

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Registered
163 Posts
Kenny, if I get time I will start a new thread, the fire was mainly contained to the engine. It didn't even burn the paint off of the decals on the loader. I am pretty mechanical and I'm not too worried about the cylinders etc.

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The chances of finding a 70A loader is like looking for the needle in a haystack. I have an 855 tractor & if I ever really Can't live without the loader, I will go to the aftermarket Westendorf line & pay the price for a new FEL over paying for someone's roached out loader just because it's green. My own .02 on this subject.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have $750 in the entire tractor and the loader will be just fine after giving it a once over and a coat of paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
70A loader

If you want to stay with JD Deere used to sell the mounting brackets to put a 200 or a 300 series loader on the 855-955. Can't remember for sure witch one but the 300cx keeps coming to mind.

I owned a 955 with a 70A loader before my 4720CAB/H180, wish I never traded it in on the 4720.

Allen.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Is the Westendorf a good option for the 855? It doesn't appear that any used 70as are available. What else can I purchase that will fit?
They seem to be a decent after Market Loader company Only found 1 or 2 complaints which had to do with Sub Frame not fitting Properly . I would call them Before You go to a dealer Just to Make sure it compatible with Your Tractor 1-877-423-0070

Here is another Post I did in this thread looking for loader, 410, 200cx, or h130 for my 4100 with a Bunch of aftermarket Loader Manufacturers :bigthumb:

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 18 of 18 Posts