Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I noticed some of you have hooks or tie downs on the top part of the front end loader. This seems like it would come in very handy.
Please post your pics of what you got and some links to buy. I am not interested in welding them on. Are most of you just drilling through and bolting them on?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Hey guys
I noticed some of you have hooks or tie downs on the top part of the front end loader. This seems like it would come in very handy.
Please post your pics of what you got and some links to buy. I am not interested in welding them on. Are most of you just drilling through and bolting them on?

Thanks in advance.
Kens bolt on hooks.
Vendor/supporter here on the site and makes a GREAT product.

You can bolt on or weld on, and they are very handy

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Home>>

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,691 Posts
I made mine. It's easy if you have a welder.
I put the same on my in-laws 4520 bucket, with the center being the Hook/Clevis combo. I haven't decided if I'll do bolt on or weld on for the bucket on my NH, but one way or another it's going to have some of KennyD's hooks on it!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Kens bolt on hooks.
Vendor/supporter here on the site and makes a GREAT product.

You can bolt on or weld on, and they are very handy

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Home>>
OK, I get the concept of the hooks, great way to attach a log chain. But when I sit down and try to come up with log chain use applications, my list becomes really really short, so short it turns into a blank piece of paper. I have to be missing something. What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Initially I installed three of Ken's hooks across the top of my bucket with a clevis mount under each one. However, I found that I never used the center hook. In fact, I use the clevis tie points 5X as much as the hooks. That's because I use tie-down straps a lot for securing things.

I eventually removed the center hook and replaced it with one of Ken's 2" receiver hitches. I now have what is for me the ultimate configuration. I can use virtually any type of strap, chain, rope, etc. With the Ball-Dog in the receiver hitch it essentially turns it into another shackle or hook.

E26R3940.jpg

E26R3949.jpg

E26R3956.jpg

E26R3952.jpg

More recently I extended the capabilities even further by using a Wilton ATV vise in the 2" receiver. I use this now for securing things and sharpening/cleaning my mower blades. It gives me a third hand on the bucket.

Wilton_vise.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
OK, I get the concept of the hooks, great way to attach a log chain. But when I sit down and try to come up with log chain use applications, my list becomes really really short, so short it turns into a blank piece of paper. I have to be missing something. What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
If you can attach a chain or strap you can lift / pull it. Chain, rope, oblong rings, tie-down straps, etc.

I don't lift anything by hand anymore if it can have a strap connected to it. Generator, mower deck, lumber, etc. I probably use chains the least as I prefer the oblong ring straps and tie-down mainly because it's too easy to mar things with a chain.

The straps and chains also work for keeping oversized objects from falling out of the bucket.

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
If you can attach a chain or strap you can lift / pull it. Chain, rope, oblong rings, tie-down straps, etc.

I don't lift anything by hand anymore if it can have a strap connected to it. Generator, mower deck, lumber, etc. I probably use chains the least as I prefer the oblong ring straps and tie-down mainly because it's too easy to mar things with a chain.

The straps and chains also work for keeping oversized objects from falling out of the bucket.
^^^ This right here!

If you can attach a chain or strap to something you can lift it. Need to put something into the back of a pickup? Move your attachments around your property?

I try to keep a lot of things on pallets so I can move them with my pallet forks but sometimes it's just easier to leave the bucket on and use a strap or chain to pick the thing up and move it.

·
Administrator
18,463 Posts
I did the weld on clevis mounts on my 5055E, I had grab links welded on to my Oliver 1650 and really liked those. I still use the grab links with chain on my clevis, now.
View attachment 513929
I have one of those (I’m a B/A dealer), I’m trying to get them to make one that will work better with 5/16” chain.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
^^^ This right here!

If you can attach a chain or strap to something you can lift it. Need to put something into the back of a pickup? Move your attachments around your property?

I try to keep a lot of things on pallets so I can move them with my pallet forks but sometimes it's just easier to leave the bucket on and use a strap or chain to pick the thing up and move it.
Yeep..... :)

I forgot to add that I recently had about a 5" limb that was hanging over the house roof eave. There was no way to cut it normally without it hitting the roof.

So I got out my 3 sections of chain and my long nylon tow strap, hooked them all together which gave me about 60 feet of length. I looped one end around the limb and attached the other end to the Ball-Dog in the receiver hitch. I made a small notch in the far side of the limb, got on the tractor and tore that baby right off the tree without so much as a leaf hitting the house.

Without attachment points on the bucket I would have had to try hand wrapping something to a less appropriate tie point.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
How is this used?
That's harder to type than show. Mounted on my bucket, the pointy end was towards the cutting edge. Chain comes in from the left or right of the link, through the big end. When you slide the chain towards the pointy end, it "grabs" the link just like a hook does. The advantages (especially when it's held still, like welded on the bucket) is rapid chain adjustment. You can grab the chain and pull it towards the big end, and it will fly through that part but be controlled. A quick pull towards the point and your chain is secure.

It also makes a comfortable handle to grab if you're standing or working from your bucket, which you should never do. :bigbeer:

·
Administrator
18,463 Posts
That's harder to type than show. Mounted on my bucket, the pointy end was towards the cutting edge. Chain comes in from the left or right of the link, through the big end. When you slide the chain towards the pointy end, it "grabs" the link just like a hook does. The advantages (especially when it's held still, like welded on the bucket) is rapid chain adjustment. You can grab the chain and pull it towards the big end, and it will fly through that part but be controlled. A quick pull towards the point and your chain is secure.

It also makes a comfortable handle to grab if you're standing or working from your bucket, which you should never do. :bigbeer:
Its also a convenient way to quickly hook a length of chain to a ball hitch on a truck.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I made these up about 40 years ago. (chain loop is welded link)
handiest chains i own.

View attachment 513985
When I worked at Farmall the millwrights used 3/8 Harden chain in various lengths with just a hook on one end. They used them for everything, Lifting, dragging, securing things down, anything they did. During the Auction after closing there were several milk crates of them. People were complaining of just one hook on each chain, I heard some one say that's really stupid and you would need to add hooks to use them. When they came up for auction I bought them for next to nothing and sold 1/2 of them that day before I left for three times the money. That was in 84 and I still have two crates at home and my son has on at his house. Use them with Kens hooks all the time. :good2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts