Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to maintain a level load while raising or lowering my loader? I can’t seem to find the sweet spot on the joystick to achieve this. Tilting the forks seem very erratic and hard to control smoothly. I’m handling big loads of firewood (don’t like re-stacking ) any and all suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
You are experiencing something that seems to be common with John Deere loaders. In fact, that alone has pushed me away from several green tractors in the last few years. Once you get used to a precise control (in my case Kubotas) you will find it hard to accept anything else.

However, I just bought a new JD 5100M and guess what? The loader valve sucks. The dealer agrees and is going to replace it. I fear it will never be as good as the orange brand in that category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
However, I just bought a new JD 5100M and guess what? The loader valve sucks. The dealer agrees and is going to replace it. I fear it will never be as good as the orange brand in that category.
From what I've read and seen on-line it seems all of the 5000-series loader controls are a bit on the stiff and unwieldy side.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
169 Posts
From what I've read and seen on-line it seems all of the 5000-series loader controls are a bit on the stiff and unwieldy side.
Perfect description of how mine is.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
So back to the original question. For the D160 loader....back off on the engine throttle and it will smooth out the FEL controls and take some of that sensitivity out of the FEL. I have the same loader on my 3025e. I have adjusted to using it at full power but it takes getting used to if you want to make it smooth. I have found if you lower the engine RPM's it makes the FEL ops slower and therefore smoother. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I did sort of derail this thread. My intended point was to let the OP know that I have seen the same thing as him in the green machines.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I did sort of derail this thread. My intended point was to let the OP know that I have seen the same thing as him in the green machines.

No worries, I just wanted to answer the OP's question. The D160 loader has the quickest reacting hydraulics of any tractor I have used but I have not used that many in my life so what do I know? All of the JD tractors I have used have had fairly quick hydraulics except my 2210, they seemed a bit slow but it had a very small pump that it shared with the power steering system so that kept it fairly "calm".

The speed of the hydraulics is a direct reflection of the speed of the pump which is controlled by engine RPM. There is more than one person on this forum who do a lot of their FEL work at idle or just off idle. I am not one of those people but I see the merits in having greater and smoother control of the speed/reaction of the FEL. I just choose to use my joystick carefully when I need to be more precise. Whether that is the preferred solution I am not sure, it's just what I do. If I am really needing to be precise I will lower the engine idle and take my time.

Anyways, I am guessing quick hydraulics is probably a JD design feature vs precise control since you have found it across other models.

Hopefully the OP gets used to his new loader. I have about 80 hours on my tractor now and am completely comfortable with how the FEL reacts. It took some time though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts