Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like there is a 1025r TLB in my future.

No snow here. But I was wondering if there is any attachment for blowing leaves/dirt off driveways. I have very long driveway and dirt service roads under trees that I blow clean with a backpack leaf blower. They get loaded with falling leaves and light debris year round.

It sure wouldn be nice if I could just drive along the road and have some kind of a front end blower do the same thing. Has anyone seen something like that? And if not, maybe this is a new product idea for someone. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,212 Posts
Deere has a 54" sweeper for the font end.

I've seen PTO driven blowers but they were setups for the rear 3pt hitch. Never seen one mounted on the front.

Reactions: RandyM

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok, this might sound stupid, but couldn't you set the leaf blower in the bucket, maybe a couple of bungy cords? Or maybe for better visibility take the bucket off and make a bracket for the quick attach... Just thinking outside the bun..

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
I custom built a front mounted blower which uses the Quik Attach Hitch bracket that is on the 54" snowplow and mounted it to a 11 hp walk behind blower. So you start the blower, which has it's own gas engine and then simply pick it up with the Quik attach Hitch that Deere has available to pick up either the snow plow blade, rotary broom, two stage snow thrower, etc.

My front hitch has the angle cylinder so I can swing the blower from side to side and obviously also raise or lower it. I left the walk behind blower wheels on the blower so it can be used either way, on the tractor or by pushing it manually. I usually lower the blower right down on the wheels when I am using it on the pavement and push it with the tractor. I help some neighbors with serious fall leaves and with my heart issues, I can't manually push the blower up and down their hills.

I don't have any pictures of it but it utilizes the Older Style walk behind leaf blower / parking lot cleaner and then the mounting bracket which is part of the 54" plow attachment.

Here is a image of the bracket from the snowplow I mounted on the leaf blower. Item 1B is the bracket, which you can buy from John Deere and if you know someone who has fabricating skills, you can likely accomplish a similar mounted blower. I have a Little Wonders brand blower with the metal flywheel, which is a bear to start by hand with the 11hp engine and the heavy flywheel, but once you get it running, it blows like crazy......The blower is like the one in the photo except the one in the picture is only a 5hp.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Hiya,

As Jim says, your limited to a front broom for the One series. (I think the 60HD broom is also an option as well as the 54) Another option is getting a Little Wonder and strapping it to a pallet on your Artilian forks. (Another idea for you Chris :good2: )

Deere does make a huge loader mount hydraulic powered debris blower for the 3 series and larger but the price will give you 3 strokes, not to mention, IIRC it takes at least 30HP on the PTO to run the PowerPack hydraulic system for it and I'm not sure if the One series has the capacity to lift it off the ground.

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Super Moderator
5,212 Posts
I custom built a front mounted blower which uses the Quik Attach Hitch bracket that is on the 54" snowplow and mounted it to a 11 hp walk behind blower. So you start the blower, which has it's own gas engine and then simply pick it up with the Quik attach Hitch that Deere has available to pick up either the snow plow blade, rotary broom, two stage snow thrower, etc.

My front hitch has the angle cylinder so I can swing the blower from side to side and obviously also raise or lower it. I left the walk behind blower wheels on the blower so it can be used either way, on the tractor or by pushing it manually. I usually lower the blower right down on the wheels when I am using it on the pavement and push it with the tractor. I help some neighbors with serious fall leaves and with my heart issues, I can't manually push the blower up and down their hills.

I don't have any pictures of it but it utilizes the Older Style walk behind leaf blower / parking lot cleaner and then the mounting bracket which is part of the 54" plow attachment.

Here is a image of the bracket from the snowplow I mounted on the leaf blower. Item 1B is the bracket, which you can buy from John Deere and if you know someone who has fabricating skills, you can likely accomplish a similar mounted blower. I have a Little Wonders brand blower with the metal flywheel, which is a bear to start by hand with the 11hp engine and the heavy flywheel, but once you get it running, it blows like crazy......The blower is like the one in the photo except the one in the picture is only a 5hp.

Huh. Could you post a pic of your setup the next time you use it? That sounds like it could be a fun little project. :good2:

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys - and I always like original thinking:

1) I'm wondering how one mounted off the back would work as it would just blow leafs backward. To clear leaves you would have to move forward and blow them off and to the side.

2) No fabricating friends here. Same with finding an "old style walk behind leaf blower" - next to impossible. But that is an ingenious solution. Craigslist for my island (here in Hawaii) has only 2 or 3 junk tractors for sale at a time. Finding deals on just about anything used is futile. And I have enough hard to start equipment already. :) And crating and shipping anything in from elsewhere is prohibitive. But it's an idea that is now on my list of options. Thanks.

I almost have to buy everything new from dealers (or Home Dept/Lowes) who bring everything in via large containers. But maybe someone has a new parking lot blower - however, I bet that would end up costing a ton to buy and set up - as opposed to and easy on and off dedicated and designed for the task PTO blower.

Anyone have any idea how a sweeper would work on dirt and gravel roads???

·
Super Moderator
8,154 Posts
I'm using a Little Wonder Optimax walk behind leaf blower mounted to a JRCO Blower Buggy. The mount bolts to my 2320 front weight bracket. It removes easily with two pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks " SuperGlide" - the pics and idea is appreciated - nice setup. I see Home Depot and Lowes both can get similar walk behind blowers. However, with a narrow road, and trees lining both sides, I don't see how something like that could clean anything more than the edges of the road. The blower nozzle would be about on line with the wheels. However, it has me thinking, which is more than I was before.

I was going to get pallet forks - so that may provide an easy mounting system of some kind - for something - and maybe let me mount off-center - then make two passes in opposite directions. Hmmmm.

But I'm getting the drift that there isn't anything made specifically for this task - correct???

·
Super Moderator
5,212 Posts
Thanks guys - and I always like original thinking:

1) I'm wondering how one mounted off the back would work as it would just blow leafs backward. To clear leaves you would have to move forward and blow them off and to the side.
Not sure why you'd think they'd blow the leaves backwards...

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Thanks " SuperGlide" - the pics and idea is appreciated - nice setup. I see Home Depot and Lowes both can get similar walk behind blowers. However, with a narrow road, and trees lining both sides, I don't see how something like that could clean anything more than the edges of the road. The blower nozzle would be about on line with the wheels. However, it has me thinking, which is more than I was before.

I was going to get pallet forks - so that may provide an easy mounting system of some kind - for something - and maybe let me mount off-center - then make two passes in opposite directions. Hmmmm.

But I'm getting the drift that there isn't anything made specifically for this task - correct???
Not for the front, but there are rear pto blowers.

PTO Blower

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not sure why you'd think they'd blow the leaves backwards...

The blower style I was originally envisioning would blow the whole road clean , out the front/side and clear a wide path. I didn't visualize a blower that was blowing out the side, on the edge. That seems to me that it would only clean the edges of the road unless you could drive off the side of the road - which I cannot.

But thanks for that video - that looks like a beast of a blower.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Perhaps I should have posted this photo sooner. I have almost a mile of road like this - covered with tall trees that drop litter all year, and only one car-width wide. It is hard packed crushed granite they use as "base course" for the roads here.

So you can see, a design that blows out the side doesn't quite work right. This was blown clean 3 days ago. In 2-3 weeks, you can barely see 50% of the road. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,154 Posts

Konakid,

The blower will move a one foot depth of leaves almost 20' - 30' in one pass. I've got a fairly long driveway. One pass in each direction will move anything and everything off into the ditches.

Here's a link to JRCO's site. The video shows the blower & buggy mounted to a commercial zero steer mower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sph1cNdCRUw

Then of course, there's the "Big Kahuna." Might be more appropriate for your situation............:laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuJwVzwYTfU

or this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8DsJgtun-I

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again SuperGlide. If the nozzle was far enough off center it looks as if it would work - with two opposite passes. However, if the nozzle is too far to the side - I can never get far enough over to blow the center of the road.

This one looks as if it might "overlap" - if I can get close enough to the edges of the road - which is often times lined with tire sidewall threatening lava. That's why I was thinking of something that would allow me to stay in the middle of the road but still clean out and away from the front of the tractor.

This one is designed differently, and would look to be the best of this type for my application. And it sounds as if this is the only "design" available.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
With a little Googling I found this pic. Looks easy enough to fabricate - with just some tin snips. I could off-set and direct the flow from any unit as needed. I could probably get away with the smallest PTO blower - or maybe some other walk behind model for the small area I really need to blow at a time. I can't tell if this is a PTO driven one - or how small they make PTO driven ones.

But then again, as previously suggested, I could mount my backpack blower and offset it on the FEL or pallet forks and do double passes with that.

Thanks for letting me bounce this off you guys.

And don't stop now if you have anything to add. :)

Edit: After checking further I see that this is a "Cyclone Rake" vacuum - so not a blower at all - but same idea applies. I wonder if this could deliver more air capacity than a blower???

Attachments

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I'm using a Little Wonder Optimax walk behind leaf blower mounted to a JRCO Blower Buggy. The mount bolts to my 2320 front weight bracket. It removes easily with two pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Frank,

Nice looking blower you have there, still running well I trust.

I may yet get another one but self propelled or seeing these loader mounts rig something like that up. Maybe I can lift it up to blow the leaves off of the trees in the fall rather than waiting for them to hit the ground.... Hmmmmmm, now that might just work :good2:

Tom

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
Hey Frank,

Nice looking blower you have there, still running well I trust.

I may yet get another one but self propelled or seeing these loader mounts rig something like that up. Maybe I can lift it up to blow the leaves off of the trees in the fall rather than waiting for them to hit the ground.... Hmmmmmm, now that might just work :good2:

Tom
The Little Wonder's blower I have uses a heavy metal flywheel, which is tremendous at blowing debris, but it just makes getting it started quite the pull on the rope starter. Mine is 11hp and I have had it for a long time, so it has the updraft style carb on it, which is "interesting" to rebuild. I have thought about trying to rig an electric starter onto the engine such as on the snowblowers, but frankly I would likely just sell it and buy a new blower with the large plastic housing and plastic flywheel, with a HONDA engine. Every Honda engine I own is incredibly easy to start.

These walk behind blowers with the larger engines will blow a lot of debris. I use mine to blow gravel out of the highway intersection every few weeks where our road branches off of the highway at a 110 degree angle. Despite the intersection being over 80 feet wide (I measured it) somehow people turning from the state highway onto the county road which leads to our homes can't make the turn without getting way off onto the gravel shoulder which throws all of the gravel onto the pavement.

For those of us who are motorcycle riders, we know how such gravel issues are extremely dangerous and akin to trying to ride on marbles, especially when making a sharp turn decelerating from a highway speed. It even becomes an issue for the cars as you have to make more than a 90 degree turn the way the intersection is built when coming from one direction on the state highway. Years ago, Before I began clearing the intersection every few weeks, a vehicle waiting at the stop sign to turn right onto the highway was broadsided by a vehicle turning right from the highway onto our road when it slid straight through the intersection and hit the side of the car waiting to turn. You could see the slide marks in the gravel on the pavement which led to the collision. Fortunately no one was injured.

The photo of the driveway posted by the Originator of this Thread still leads me to believe that a walk behind blower would easily address his needs. Many of the blowers have a way to either blow straight in front of the blower or at a 90 degree angle. Some now use a plastic adapter to redirect air where you may need it. even some of the newer blowers have an oscillating air blower, which is angled from side to side by the operator while using it. If the blower is on a flat surface it is very easy to walk behind and accomplish the task. For me, climbing hills along the river, etc. are not advisable due to heart issues, but otherwise on flat ground, it's not bad at all to push.

I would strongly suggest the Original Poster on this topic visit an equipment dealer that sells lawn equipment, and NOT a Box store, to see the equipment available. I have never seen the walk behind blowers at my Deere dealer even though they sell Stihl brand equipment. If I were going to buy a new blower, it would very likely be the one I am posting of the picture below because the larger tires make it easy to push and the light weight from the plastic impeller and housing make it easy to start. The unit I pictured below has a foot mounted control which permits you to spin the air in a 360 degree direction while using the blower. While it is shown mounted to a Zero Turn, it would be very easy to make it work on any tractor as well.

Reactions: Treefarmer
1 - 20 of 22 Posts