Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1023e, 113 hours with 62 of those spent blowing snow this winter. This is the 54 inch front mount blower. I greased it for the last time a few days ago and have grease coming out of the welded ends as well as both sides of the gear box. This never happened before. The ends are not a complete weld, they only go about half way around. Is this normal for grease to come out of these areas? Thank you for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
1023e, 113 hours with 62 of those spent blowing snow this winter. This is the 54 inch front mount blower. I greased it for the last time a few days ago and have grease coming out of the welded ends as well as both sides of the gear box. This never happened before. The ends are not a complete weld, they only go about half way around. Is this normal for grease to come out of these areas? Thank you for looking.
That is OK. The grease has to exit somewhere. You don't have to get too crazy with greasing those particular zerks, since those joints only move when you shear a pin.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Just greased mine this morning before putting it away and it looks exactly like yours. It's normal. :good2:

·
Premium Member
12,656 Posts
Most snowblowers with this type of setup have instructions telling you to remove the sheer bolts, grease the auger shaft, rotate the auger a few times and then reinstall the sheer bolts. Deere simply says to grease the zerks. The problem is the grease will take the path of least resistance and doesn't get distributed around the shaft and it can still rust fast - especially if you've never had both sheer bolts break.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Most snowblowers with this type of setup have instructions telling you to remove the sheer bolts, grease the auger shaft, rotate the auger a few times and then reinstall the sheer bolts. Deere simply says to grease the zerks. The problem is the grease will take the path of least resistance and doesn't get distributed around the shaft and it can still rust fast - especially if you've never had both sheer bolts break.
Luckily I shear mine pretty often:mocking:

·
Premium Member
12,656 Posts
Reactions: FreeWill
1 - 7 of 7 Posts