Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the purchase of a front-mounted snow blower for my JD 2720. I'm considering the following:
Any pros / cons (other than cost), along with other vendors / models, are welcomed.

P.S. I'm not able to use rear-mounted snow throwers due to the distance (> 1/2 mile) and aging back / neck.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Just curious, you have ruled out the Deere unit?

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
I'm considering the purchase of a front-mounted snow blower for my JD 2720. I'm considering the following:
Any pros / cons (other than cost), along with other vendors / models, are welcomed.

P.S. I'm not able to use rear-mounted snow throwers due to the distance (> 1/2 mile) and aging back / neck.
That Sheyenne blower is unique. Not sure I like the exposed chain drives for the auger and fan. Upon first glance I thought it was a single stage unit and was going to recommend against. Looked closer and then saw the fan. Quite unusual.

The Erskine looks like a rugged unit as well. Full subframe with integral driveshaft running off the rear 540 RPM PTO.

Price of third party VS Deere would be interesting as well.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts

Is the Sheyenne Black Max fluid driven and not PTO driven. If so I find that interesting. For all the "E" series tractors with no mid mount pto it would be ideal.

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
Is the Sheyenne Black Max fluid driven and not PTO driven. If so I find that interesting. For all the "E" series tractors with no mid mount pto it would be ideal.
It is hydraulically driven so it could be used on any machine with a PTO (they have setups to run it off of either a mid- or rear PTO.)

I would have more questions for them though, They say it taps into your loader's hydro circuit and uses the tractor's hydro tank but runs it with their own pump. But I've seen several hydro implements that use fluids that aren't compatible with the JD Hydro fluid so I'd want to make sure that that thing is truly compatible.

I ran into this with my dump trailer. It came with a hydro cylinder for lift and was setup to run off of a tractor for the controls/feed but they warned to only use DEXRON III Automatic Transmission Fluid with it and specifically stated that any other fluid was unacceptable. So I ended up having to mount my own tank and pump with controls directly on the trailer to get it to work.

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
10 years ago I looked at the Kioti CK series. A front mount blower was a must and they didn't offer one at that time. The dealer mentioned a unit that ran off the 540 rear PTO. It's price was about twice what we paid for our complete front mount setup from Deere. Those 2 linked blowers are real beasts!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious, you have ruled out the Deere unit?
Thanks for the heads-up. The JD website only lists rear-mounted PTO units for the 2000 series compact tractors; the Canadian JD website lists the 54" front-mounted unit. I called my local dealer (Virginia) who reported it is still available / supported and would be delivered to them in 2-3 weeks.

I know what I'm getting for Christmas!

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts

That Sheyenne unit is not something I would trust the design of, at least not where I live. The throat size for the auger seems to be limited (watching the video it cannot keep up with even the light fluffy snow they are blowing) and any snow that does not enter the throat of the auger is simply pitched out front. In heavy wet snow this will be a vicious cycle, quickly overwhelming the throat opening. The second part is the exposed chain, where we live we often have to deal with ice, having ice run through that chain is going to be problematic sooner or later. Also the design seems to be optimized for relatively modest snow conditions, if you were prone to large dumps of snow I would look for something more like the Erskine or a traditional single auger, multi-stage design like the JD.

The Erskine is a completely different beast from a design perspective but if I were looking at light fluffy/deep stuff I would probably lean towards the Zagg, or if I had to deal with more heavy slushy snow I might opt for a more traditional design (single auger).

Have no experience with either of the above models, just looking at the design.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts