Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a snowblower for my 2305. Our driveway (blacktop, getting paved today!) is about a quarter mile long and my current 54" blade setup isn't enough to get the job done for big storms. I'm contemplating the JD 54" front blower or a Farm King 60" rear blower with the 54 plow on the front of the machine. What are everyone's thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I am in the front mounted camp....much easier than trying to turn around to see whats going on all the time.....:good2:
my $.02

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
If you'll have need to use the loader or "anything else" up front during the winter months (not a lot of them in our general neck, but still...) get a rear-mount. Changing over between the snowblower setup and the loader was the primary reason why my front-mount 54" got used about six times and then sold. I now clear my driveway (about 110') with the loader and bucket.

Ergonomically, the front-mount is very nice. It's also more expensive and you kind of "have to" buy the JD one. You pretty much won't find one used (well, you might get lucky). Rear-mount opens a lot of possibilities for you and is generally lower cost.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am in the rear 3pt camp myself. I am hunting for one now for this winter. I like the possibility of using the plow most of the winter and hook up with ease the blower to attack the heavy storms and just clear the plowed up snow out of the way on an as need basis. Better ground clearance also. So much more to prep underneath for the mid pto driveshaft to the front as well and the cost for a front.

Reactions: OldmanX

·
Super Moderator
8,192 Posts
Anytime someone mentions a rear mounted snowblower I get a sore neck. Honestly, with a 1/4 mile long driveway you'll soon tire of not only being exposed to the elements but also having your neck craned 180˚ off dead ahead. Couple that with not being able to see where you're going or might end up under poor visibility conditions like wind blown snow and you'll eventually come to realize that the extra cost of a front mount blower may be worthwhile.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Anytime someone mentions a rear mounted snowblower I get a sore neck. Honestly, with a 1/4 mile long driveway you'll soon tire of not only being exposed to the elements but also having your neck craned 180˚ off dead ahead. Couple that with not being able to see where you're going or might end up under poor visibility conditions like wind blown snow and you'll eventually come to realize that the extra cost of a front mount blower may be worthwhile.
Pull Type Snowblowers | Lucknow Products

Sounds like you haven't given one of these a consideration...

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
I've got a rear 3pt blower (a Frontier SB1164) but I would have thought long and hard about a front mount if I was clearing a 1/4 mile long driveway.

I also have the Deere 54" plow but mine is mounted on the Artillian adapter on my loader arms. To be honest I do the bulk of my snow clean up with the plow. I don't even put the blower on for smaller storms.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If I were in upstate NY or areas where big storms hit every year then I would consider a front mount but I love my rear mount lucknow and the option to use the bucket when I want/need it.

Reactions: pcabe5 and JKR

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My vote front blower. No neck pain for me.

·
Premium Member
13,035 Posts

These probably would not be a good fit for a 2305 with only 18HP on the PTO as the smallest unit they offer is 60 inches. The other possible issue is that a pull-type blower requires you to drive THRU the snow to clear it. Depending on how much snow is in front of you a smaller tractor may not have the traction or ground clearance to pull that off.

By having the tractor behind the snow blower movement (whether a front or rear unit) you can blow much more snow as the tractor is always in the path where snow has already been removed.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Front. :thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
8,192 Posts

Wouldn't even consider it. I've seen them and they're usually mounted to 100 HP tractors and are demonstrated clearing 6" of snow.

Couldn't imagine having to drive over 24" of heavy, wet Northeast (Albany, NY) snow accumulation with a rear mounted "pull-type" blower at all. Just think about it? You're going to drive over the snow with a low clearance machine before the blower can collect and disperse it :banghead:

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Front mount.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments guys. I agree about the sore neck part - that concerns me too. I had read some things about plastic parts (impeller?) on the JD front blower and will the unit hold up? What do folks think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
741 Posts
I highly recommend a front mounted snow blower and a rear offset / hydraulic blade...the best of all worlds in my my opinion.

Attachments

Reactions: JKR and mjncad

·
Registered
424 Posts
Wouldn't even consider it. I've seen them and they're usually mounted to 100 HP tractors and are demonstrated clearing 6" of snow.

Couldn't imagine having to drive over 24" of heavy, wet Northeast (Albany, NY) snow accumulation with a rear mounted "pull-type" blower at all. Just think about it? You're going to drive over the snow with a low clearance machine before the blower can collect and disperse it :banghead:
These probably would not be a good fit for a 2305 with only 18HP on the PTO as the smallest unit they offer is 60 inches. The other possible issue is that a pull-type blower requires you to drive THRU the snow to clear it. Depending on how much snow is in front of you a smaller tractor may not have the traction or ground clearance to pull that off.

By having the tractor behind the snow blower movement (whether a front or rear unit) you can blow much more snow as the tractor is always in the path where snow has already been removed.
I suppose I should've indicated that I was kidding.. I figured the fact that it's over the 1025's HP requirements was a good indicator of sarcasm, though...

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
The plastic impeller is working fine for me , and I have a gravel driveway. If it fails I will likely replace it with a steel one.

Reactions: RandyM and JKR

·
Registered
675 Posts
Front blower camp!

Doug

1 - 20 of 53 Posts