Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished converting and adapting a 4-Way, 54" plow designed for the 140-318 series, to my x739.
Now that this is done, I'm looking at converting another (minus the blade) to a small lifting platform, for moving plants that are in concrete (exposed aggregate) planters.
Basically I want to build a forklift that will lift about a foot high.
With this in mind, determining the "lift" capacity of the plow cylinders comes to mind. Along with the strength of the A-Frame.

My curiosity makes me think that surely someone has done something similar.
I know ballast plays a key role, and that I'll deal with as necessary.

Chime in here, fellas. My creative juices need a kick start! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Boonie, I just looked at my 54 blade and I think (???) this will work.

First, remove your lift cylinder and turn it around so rod end attaches near tractor and piston end near plow. This will give max lift power as right now, cylinder gives you max down pressure.

Next, a plate (3/8"??) with a couple of holes, one for mounting and one for anti-rotation. You could leave the plate long enough to slide planters on. Not sue high high this is going to lift though.

There's a start! Bob

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boonie, I just looked at my 54 blade and I think (???) this will work.

First, remove your lift cylinder and turn it around so rod end attaches near tractor and piston end near plow. This will give max lift power as right now, cylinder gives you max down pressure.

Next, a plate (3/8"??) with a couple of holes, one for mounting and one for anti-rotation. You could leave the plate long enough to slide planters on. Not sue high high this is going to lift though.

There's a start! Bob
I'm a little green in hydraulics, so.
Your mentioning about reversing the cylinder to achieve max lift, I didn't even think of. And you're right.
Different strokes for different applications. With this in mind it changes the design to a degree.

Thanks for mentioning this!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
I’d expect to lift 400 lbs without second thought to 12” with the stock plow mount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts