Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hot off the press, here's the prototype of the "Plow adapter" for the compact tractor Quick Hitch. The design is already slightly changed from this one, but you'll get the idea. The subcompact QH design will be coming along shortly.

There is no hydraulic connection yet. Two hose extensions are in the process of being made which will run along the loader arms. Also, thanks to a thought from KennyD, the hydraulic lift cylinder on the QH will likely be replaced by a solid link. The cylinder being in place won't be optimal and is easily removed.

2013-09-24_19-06-12_645 25p.jpg

2013-09-24_19-04-56_554 25p.jpg

2013-09-24_18-19-43_617 25p.jpg

Range of motion with the dump/curl active:

2013-09-24_18-20-10_265 25p.jpg

2013-09-24_18-21-00_416 25p.jpg

2013-09-24_18-21-28_156 25p.jpg

Doing a bleed down test on the disconnected dump/curl (no movement in 20 minutes)

2013-09-24_18-26-23_804 25p.jpg

An unforeseen additional benefit, being able to favor the plow to one side.

2013-09-24_18-22-17_508 25p.jpg

2013-09-24_18-22-38_633 25p.jpg

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts
Very cool Chris, thanks for sharing!

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Updated design

Updated design for the compact tractor front hitch. Still warm. The plow sits at the appropriate ground angle (with some adjustment) with the loader fully curled and floating. The newly added link replaces the lift cylinder, which further trims out extra weight.

Sorry for the lousy quick photos. Out of time for the day.

2013-10-04_17-25-29_398 25p.jpg

2013-10-04_17-25-50_401 25p.jpg

2013-10-04_17-26-07_489 25p.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
That looks awesome!

My Artillian shopping list is getting quite long. You're killing me!

I'm getting my front blade on Monday and this would fit wonderfully!

·
Registered
63 Posts
:thumbup1gif: Thats what I'm talkin about. The wait is killing me as I feel like a kid at Christmas:lol: slkpk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
:thumbup1gif: Thats what I'm talkin about. The wait is killing me as I feel like a kid at Christmas:lol: slkpk
I would venture to guess most of us know exactly what you are talking about.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Whoever buys the first adapter kit for their CUT or SCUT, PLEASE, PLEASE make us a video! :) I won't be able to purchase one of these until at least winter of 2014/2015 even though I REALLY want a FEL mounted plow setup using the JD 54" plow :) Forks are next on the list after the 60D this coming spring for me.

Questions:

(1) The front blade setup for the SCUT's will have hydraulic angle (due to solid link replacing the hydraulic lift cylinder) just not hydraulic lift at the blade, correct?
(2) The hydraulic hose extensions that will run along the loader arms, will those be QD hoses so that the blade can be mounted to the fork frame and then QD'd to the hose extension for a "quick-attach" setup? What FEL function / circuit will this tap into?
(2a) If the plan is to use a QD extension setup, could this function as a hydraulic implement drive connection for a FEL mounted implement? Or will it essentially disable the curl function?

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts
Whoever buys the first adapter kit for their CUT or SCUT, PLEASE, PLEASE make us a video! :) I won't be able to purchase one of these until at least winter of 2014/2015 even though I REALLY want a FEL mounted plow setup using the JD 54" plow :) Forks are next on the list after the 60D this coming spring for me.

Questions:

(1) The front blade setup for the SCUT's will have hydraulic angle (due to solid link replacing the hydraulic lift cylinder) just not hydraulic lift at the blade, correct?
(2) The hydraulic hose extensions that will run along the loader arms, will those be QD hoses so that the blade can be mounted to the fork frame and then QD'd to the hose extension for a "quick-attach" setup? What FEL function / circuit will this tap into?
(2a) If the plan is to use a QD extension setup, could this function as a hydraulic implement drive connection for a FEL mounted implement? Or will it essentially disable the curl function?
GM, most of your questions are answered here since the plow needs basically the same setup as a grapple. Though you could just disconnect the dump/curl lines and use that circuit, but that can create a few other issues as well.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/artillian-tractor/10129-hydraulic-revisions-grapple.html

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great questions Green Man. Thanks very much for bringing the opportunity to explain. :thumbup1gif:

Questions:

The setup is the same for both the subs and compacts. The hitch lift cylinder isn't necessary since you have the loader lift. To avoid damaging the unused hoses or cylinder, it can be replaced with the provided solid link. It comes out very easily, only held in by pins. And yes, you will still need the hitch's angling cylinder for the plow. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much point in using the hitch at all, or really the plow for that matter :).

Yes, absolutely. Anything that comes from Artillian will be designed to remain as close as possible to a "factory" product. In this case, the hydraulic lines will QD directly inline. The last thing I personally would want to be doing is turning wrenches in 0 degree weather so I'm on your side here.

Another intent is to also be able to use the plow and hitch directly on the tractor as originally intended by removing the loader and installing all of the hitch parts as per Deere. There will be no permanent effects with this adapter system, just more options for you to choose from to get the work done.

For a minimal installation, the plow angling circuit will consume your loader curl/dump circuit. The adapter system is being designed so that after installing the adapter plate and attaching the hitch & plow, you would fully curl your loader to the stops, lower the loader to the ground and float it, disconnect the dump/curl hydraulic lines, and attach the plow angling lines (the extension hoses). With the loader fully curled, you'll be working against the hard stops instead of any trapped hydraulic fluid. At least, this is the goal. Once everything is set up, you should be able to float your loader and have the blade rest at the same angle of attack as originally designed by Deere with their standard installation.

There will be the minimal installation as described above or a fully functional installation. The fully functional installation will require the addition of a hydraulic diverter valve such as the one being developed here for the grapple. This will consist of an electric/hydraulic valve, an actuator switch, some power wires, and some hydraulic hoses. Our diverter valve will be simple to install and fully removable/revertible. With a diverter system, you get to retain your dump/curl loader functionality and when you want to angle the plow, you would just press the button on your joystick when "dumping or curling" to angle the plow left or right. By keeping the dump/curl functionality of the loader, you can tweak the angle of attack of the plow for unusual grades and such. A really skilled operator could probably build a snowman with it. :tongue:

The diverter is very close to being finished with hose lengths and mounting for various tractors being one of the biggest remaining hurdles, which is currently getting attention.

Thanks again, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thank you very much for the answers to my questions Chris! It sounds like this setup will really be the hot ticket and a better setup than the aftermarket quick attach plow systems for JD due to versatility, use of the actual JD plow / components, and JD like build quality from Artillian! Looking forward to seeing all the details, pictures, etc. Thanks again for the preview and for keeping our appetites wet!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chris,

Do you have an anticipated release date for this? Price?

·
Premium Member
9,112 Posts
Updated design for the compact tractor front hitch. Still warm. The plow sits at the appropriate ground angle (with some adjustment) with the loader fully curled and floating. The newly added link replaces the lift cylinder, which further trims out extra weight.
Nice looking setup.....

Now if you would have introduced this a few years ago when we moved to Montana....I'd of been all over this like white on rice.

Since we have moved to Memphis (where it snows here as often as it gets cold in HE!!) I'll have to be satisified with hoping for a FEL and then some forks...

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris,

Do you have an anticipated release date for this? Price?
The adapter designs are completed. Just trying to get the hydraulics details finished up now. Once that is accomplished, they will be going up for pre-order.

The price for the plow adapter should be similar to the other add on adapters, with an addition of either hydraulic extension lines or the diverter valve system, which is still a bit of a moving target.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Just found this plow, looks MUCH better than the little JD 54" plow. I like the 12 gauge XL for 1 series and larger JD's. What do you guys think?

·
Administrator
17,954 Posts
Just found this plow, looks MUCH better than the little JD 54" plow. I like the 12 gauge XL for 1 series and larger JD's. What do you guys think?

I assume you meant to include a pic or link?

Are you by chance talking about the Arthur Randall blade: Stainless Steel Replacement cutting edge for John Deere 54" front blade

Here is a thread on one: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/medium-frame-compact-utility-tractors-mcut/2956-new-arthur-randall-plow-blade-2520-a.html

I saw this one in person, and it's very nice, but I think it would be a little much for the loader.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Whoops! Yup, meant to include a link... Yes, it's the Arthur Randall plow. Arthur Randall Corporation

I think it would be a little much for the loader.
Hmmmmm... Is your thought here that having such a big blade (72") mounted on the loader (and not directly connected to the frame) would not be optimum vs. the direct frame mount? Would the 60" plow be a better loader plow setup?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Chris, thanks for the call on Friday:thumbup1gif: and taking the time to discuss my needs for my 2305. With any luck I might get the 54 plow adapter and extension hoses this Wed. I will get pics and video of the installation process. Looking ahead to getting the diverter valve and grapple as they become available. The frame and landscaping forks are a great addition for the subcompact 2305's and I've used them a lot in the short time I've had them without any issues. slkpk

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No Slkpk, thank you for your patience and diligence.:thumbup1gif:

Yes, Slkpk is correct, the first few plow adapters are done, one more for the subcompact and another for the compact tractors. They aren't up on the website yet and, at the moment, can only be used with extension hoses taking the place of your loader dump/curl circuit to angle the plow. Slkpk has agreed to use the extension hoses until we can get him a diverter valve and then we'll swap them out.

The diverter valve is just waiting for a few last bits and pieces to come in. Right now the 200/H130 loader has all of the details completed. The H120 loader configuration still needs some hose lengths dialed in but is otherwise equally ready. (This was thought to be finished but it turns out the tractor used to measure had displaced hoses because it had a cab so all of the measurements are moot and need a do-over :mad:).

Some people have asked to be notified when these are available but for anyone else interested, please look me up. Nothing more will be able to ship until at least Mon Dec 2 at this point though as some hydraulic fittings aren't on hand until then.

In other news, we are also trying to work up a reversible snow cutting edge for the 54 plow. There may be a few different material choices for different settings/temperatures. We'll see. I expect it will be beneficial to have a more robust cutting edge on the plow with it being used on the loader due to the increase in weight bearing on it. Plus, for snow, a non-metal material will be quieter with less marking on finished surfaces, such as sealcoating. Seems like a win-win. :dunno:

Thanks all. Trying like heck to get all of this done for snow time.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts