Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to tractors and I am curious what is the many uses for a front receiver hitch. For example the Heavy Hitch Front Receiver Hitch. https://heavyhitch.com/product/front-receiver-hitch-for-1-series-john-deere-1000-series-tractors/

The uses that I know of so far:
1. Trailer Hitch Ball for moving trailers around
2. Attachment for a winch
3. Heavy Hitch weight bracket. https://heavyhitch.com/product/8-suitcase-weight-bracket-2-inch-receiver-hitch/

I am curious of other attachment or uses you have used for the front receiver hitch?
Do you find the front receiver hitch very useful?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I use mine primarily for moving my trailer if it's loaded with dirt or mulch. Mine is mounted on my fork frame on the FEL. I wouldn't use it for a winch mount as that could put some strain on the FEL frame that might damage it.

I know some guys have a "trash can mover" that fits in a receiver. My driveway is only 350' long - something like that is for the guys with the 1/2 mile long driveways.

I've seen guys mount a "boom pole" in a front receiver. Again, that's one that's mounted on a FEL.

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
I have a 2-inch receiver on my loader bucket. I attach a Wilton ATV vise to mine and use it to hold my mower blades while I clean and sharpen them. I've also used the vise for welding and cutting lumber.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,888 Posts
I am new to tractors and I am curious what is the many uses for a front receiver hitch. For example the Heavy Hitch Front Receiver Hitch. https://heavyhitch.com/product/front-receiver-hitch-for-1-series-john-deere-1000-series-tractors/

The uses that I know of so far:
1. Trailer Hitch Ball for moving trailers around
2. Attachment for a winch
3. Heavy Hitch weight bracket. https://heavyhitch.com/product/8-suitcase-weight-bracket-2-inch-receiver-hitch/

I am curious of other attachment or uses you have used for the front receiver hitch?
Do you find the front receiver hitch very useful?
No, not really. But that is just me. As they say, "Your mileage my vary".

As the website says - I would make sure it wouldn't interfere with a front end loader if you have one.

I wouldn't think it would be too handy for trailers unless you are moving trailers in very tight spaces and it would be easier looking forward. A trailer mover on the 3 point would be easier for occasionally moving a trailer.

An attachment for a winch is the most likely use.

If you mow with your tractor like I mow with my ZTR, a tow point on the front would come in handy. For pulling / towing things with the tractor I prefer to use the rear drawbar.

I have a receiver hitch in my pallet fork frame. I have used it a few times.

·
Registered
331 Posts
In theory, a receiver hitch on the forks frame sounds good, until you go to use it
and you've got to take the forks off ... and then put them back on. I've got one
on my fork frame but have never used it. I move my trailers with a receiver mounted
on a drawbar for the 3 point hitch.

:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
I have Receiver Hitches on both my Box Blade and Rear 8' wide Blade. They work great and I have moved trailers up to 11,000 GW and 4,000 lb water tanks with both and they work great just don't lift the front tires with a rear over load on the 3 point hitch! I can see the hitch on both from my seat looking back and real easy to do.

·
Administrator
17,254 Posts
In theory, a receiver hitch on the forks frame sounds good, until you go to use it
and you've got to take the forks off ... and then put them back on. I've got one
on my fork frame but have never used it. I move my trailers with a receiver mounted
on a drawbar for the 3 point hitch.

:greentractorride:
The 3x42 forks on my Artillian frame are a breeze to take off and put back on, I do it all the time.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I have a front hitch on my Gator(factory on the 825i and new one also) and I made one that is on top of my loader bucket. Use them all the time for moving trailers, implements, and hay wagons, gravity boxes, snatch blocks etc. If you ever try to back up a hay wagon or gravity box you know why. We also push loaded hay ways with a push bar into hay mound for unloading and it much easier and safer facing foreword instead of backing.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You might attach a front cargo carrier like those you see on vacationers' SUVs, or a tool rack (I use a vertical 4" Pipe) if you already have something occupying the rear hitch.

You could also add horizontal outriggers to both the front and back hitches and use them to carry ladders or long lumber.{ Photo }
This may not be relevant -- I don't know how big your tractor is, or if you have a pickup truck.)

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
The front receiver is useful for mounting a shackle hitch that can be used to secure the tractor during transport. If you don't have this approach available, the dealer will always run chain over the frame in front and scratch off the paint. It's annoying to have to repaint just to send the tractor in for service. If you don't repaint, you get rust.

I also use the front receiver to install my flexible ballast without any lifting involved.

And don't forget about putting a great hitch cover in it.

hitchcover.JPG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts