Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't need a true FEL, but a front mounted scoop/bucket to move dirt and gravel would be very handy. Ideally the mount would allow me to switch to a grapple. My 2018 1025R has the hydraulic controller by the seat so hopefully I could use it.

I've not found anything so far so any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,226 Posts
I don't need a true FEL, but a front mounted scoop/bucket to move dirt and gravel would be very handy. Ideally the mount would allow me to switch to a grapple. My 2018 1025R has the hydraulic controller by the seat so hopefully I could use it.

Actually, by your very description you DO need a FEL. :) There is nothing else that you can mount to the front of your tractor that will move dirt & gravel and allow the use of a grapple.

Now, if all you wanted to do was move dirt/gravel you might be able to get away with a rear 3PH scoop (see below).

But for any grapple functions the FEL is the only answer. Just by the nature of the way the FEL mounts to the tractor it is the only way the tractor can handle that much weight up front.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
If you have a front Quick Hitch (like for a snowblower or plow) then there are aftermarket scoops and at least one grapple available.

·
Registered
99 Posts
John Deere does make a 54" tractor shovel for the X700 models of tractors. I'd imagine you could probably make it work on the 1025R, but if you don't already have the quick hitch, 54" plow and hydraulic angling kit I think you're going to find once all the prices are added up you're not going to be too far off from the price of the FEL and you'll have less than half the usability. Not to mention using a grapple in this setup; I just couldn't see it being anything more than frustrating.

I had considered buying one for my X730 for a short while, but after using one and being very disappointed (they're quite weak, can't lift very high, and have a really small bucket), then finding out the total cost, it was just one of the many things that lead me to upgrade to a 1025R and do everything all in one go using the 0% financing.

·
Premium Member
12,226 Posts
John Deere does make a 54" tractor shovel for the X700 models of tractors. I'd imagine you could probably make it work on the 1025R, but if you don't already have the quick hitch, 54" plow and hydraulic angling kit I think you're going to find once all the prices are added up you're not going to be too far off from the price of the FEL and you'll have less than half the usability. Not to mention using a grapple in this setup; I just couldn't see it being anything more than frustrating.

I had considered buying one for my X730 for a short while, but after using one and being very disappointed (they're quite weak, can't lift very high, and have a really small bucket), then finding out the total cost, it was just one of the many things that lead me to upgrade to a 1025R and do everything all in one go using the 0% financing.
^^^^ What he said. The quick hitch mount on these tractors is quite flimsy. I cannot imagine attaching dirt handling attachments to it.

To the OP... what is your adversity to using the loader frame for your attachments? It is a lot stronger and a LOT easier to swap attachments than anything you'd ever hook to the quick hitch.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
That's like saying... I don't need a backhoe but something to attach to the rear that can dig a hole,/trench, and pull up stumps would be real nice.:lolol:

Kidding around....but in all seriousness, why not just get a FEL? It will make your tractor so much more useful!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's like saying... I don't need a backhoe but something to attach to the rear that can dig a hole,/trench, and pull up stumps would be real nice.:lolol:

Kidding around....but in all seriousness, why not just get a FEL? It will make your tractor so much more useful!
I guess it does sound funny the way I asked ... my reasons are primarily cost and storage space. As has been pointed out, it might end up at close to the cost of a FEL, which is part of my reason for asking. I don't want a three point scoop as my short term need is to move dirt to some ruts and low spaces and smooth them out with a box blade. Previous to the 1025 I had an X500 and had considered a Johnny Bucket and similar. A post today mentioned the Innovative Tractor Attachments LLC – Bringing great tractor ideas to life! grappel and it seemed like a good solution for my limited needs.

Thanks to all for your advice and "comments". I will keep reading and learning.

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Once you have had a FEL, the uses for a tractor will increase many fold. You mention cost and space limitations, both of which are very real indeed. However, to move dirt, you need some serious hydraulics. What about trading for a 1023E with the D120 FEL?

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
I had the 54" tractor shovel for my X758. I remember reading somewhere (perhaps the owner's manual) that it is not to be used on the 1 series. If I remember correctly, it was because the hydraulics were too powerful and so the shovel would lift more than the quick hitch could support. Or...something to that effect.

Anyway, the shovel is okay, but nothing compared to a loader. I resurfaced a 1000 foot driveway with it...took days. With loader and box blade on a 1025R it took two hours.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts

Well I would Talk to John Scheele at Johnny Products Bet he could adapt a Johnny Bucket SR to work On a 1 series Tractor He currently make one of His Johnny Bucket Sr's to work On the Kubota BX series Tractors Johnny Bucket Sr for Kubota BX Here is the Biggest He currently Makes for John Deere Johnny Bucket Sr. John Deere 300-400 series which fit's the JD X700 signature series :bigthumb:

·
Registered
732 Posts
If it is a short term project and cost and storage are an issue. spend a few $$ rent the right tool for the job and you are all set. If an FEL is not something you think you need all the time, you can rent some nice equipment 1 or 2 times a year for a lot less then an FEL.

Just my 2 cents. Personally, love my FEL and would never be without it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

So I am going to assume you bought the 1 series without the FEL option?

If that is the case then yes, it is rather expensive to go and buy the FEL separate and have it mounted on the tractor. While you have said you don't need a true FEL for your needs, I believe it will make it much easier to sell/trade in the 1 series when the time comes. I have read a couple of threads on here where some dealers will not take a SCUT (in this case, I believe it was a 2305) set up as just a mower in on trade since it didn't have the FEL. I also know that SCUT's without FEL's tend to sit on Craigslist for a long time in my area for a long time.

As far as storage goes, while far from ideal, it can be left outside. Until I got my shop built this summer, I stored my 3025E outside most of the time. John Deere does sell a tractor cover. You can leave the FEL on it and the cover will cover the tractor and the important part of the FEL, the hydraulics. Since it is a quick disconnect you can simply remove it prior to using the tractor for other tasks.

As far as a front mounted scoop then the other posters have pretty much covered the choices. Renting maybe your best bet to be honest, or maybe stacking up a lot of jobs and hiring someone with a skid steer to come in an knock them all out at once. No harm in farming out tasks to people who do it for a living. I would rather do that and save my time if I didn't have the right equipment. :greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it is a short term project and cost and storage are an issue. spend a few $$ rent the right tool for the job and you are all set. If an FEL is not something you think you need all the time, you can rent some nice equipment 1 or 2 times a year for a lot less then an FEL.

Just my 2 cents. Personally, love my FEL and would never be without it.
I'm beginning to think rental is going to be my best bet. Once I get the yard smoothed out from recent construction I will not have a need for a FEL or a scoop. I have several good rental stores close to me so that is an easy option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts