Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I am wondering if there are any snow blowers, other than the JD 59, that can be front mounted on my JD 4400. I have an older JD 240 mounted on the back which is in great shape and does a good job. I recently purchased a used JD 59 blower, for the front, but have been very disappointed in it's performance. It only shoots the snow about 15' so I've put the rear mount 240 back on. I use the blower to keep a private runway open in the winter so I need to shoot 40 to 50 feet. Has anyone mounted another brand blower on the front and get those kind of results?

Thanks
Scott

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
This is the only other option for a front mount: Front Mount Snowblower - Erskine Attachments LLC

But, your 59 should be performing better that that...something is not correct.
Are you running at the full PTO RPM indicated on the tach?
Was the 59 blower off of a compact tractor, or possibly a front mount mower?

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
Hi everyone

I am wondering if there are any snow blowers, other than the JD 59, that can be front mounted on my JD 4400. I have an older JD 240 mounted on the back which is in great shape and does a good job. I recently purchased a used JD 59 blower, for the front, but have been very disappointed in it's performance. It only shoots the snow about 15' so I've put the rear mount 240 back on. I use the blower to keep a private runway open in the winter so I need to shoot 40 to 50 feet. Has anyone mounted another brand blower on the front and get those kind of results?

Thanks
Scott
This is a shot in the dark but make sure the 59 SB has the correct drive and driven sprockets on it. It may be from another machine that runs the front PTO at a different speed than your 4400.

EDIT: I went into JD parts and see that the 59 SB uses a gearbox drive. That being the case it's not the sprocket drive ratio I suggested.

Any chance you're able to measure the actual front PTO speed with the engine running at PTO rated RPM? Any access to a photo tachometer? Possibly a sheared woodruff key at the input shaft to bevel gear or driveshaft to worm gear interface? PTO clutch slipping could also cause reduced blower drive speed.

59 Blower primary gear drive.gif 59 secondary gearbox.jpg

·
Registered
404 Posts
My 59" blows about twice the distance what you say yours does.
I run it at Max RPM
No chain or sprockets. Just a gear box for the impeller and separate gear box for the auger
That's why I like it (no chain)

Somethings gotta be wrong

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all replies. The blower is definitely for the 42, 43, and 4400 JD as stated on the "data plate" attached to the blower. I remember reading elsewhere that someone had the same problem with their JD59 blower. I don't have a means of telling rpm at the blower but tractor is running at 2600 rpm when blowing snow.

Scott

·
Premium Member
15,028 Posts
My ex shop foreman and I was just talking about the Erskine blower . He was saying about how far it would throw the snow, guess one mean machine.

I have no clue but it sure sounds like his blower is set for mm pto instead of rear pto ,, or something to that effect.
Or like superglidesport was saying , if slip clutch is slipping , only the main shafts are turning and not the secondary impeller is not turning having a shear bolt broken, a shear key just some items to check.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 59 blower attaches to the mid PTO and operates at 2100 rpm.

Thanks again to all for your thoughts and replies. I'm looking into the Erskine but they seem very "pricey" for my budget.

Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mounting Hardware

I also have a JD 4400 tractor with a 59' snow blower. However, I don't have an attaching hardware. I believe part numbers are BM21660 and LVB25306. These are no longer available according to my dealer. Anyone have any other options for purchasing these pieces?

Randy

·
Administrator
18,466 Posts
I also have a JD 4400 tractor with a 59' snow blower. However, I don't have an attaching hardware. I believe part numbers are BM21660 and LVB25306. These are no longer available according to my dealer. Anyone have any other options for purchasing these pieces?

Randy
Welcome Randy,
Probably setting up a search on eBay would be your best bet to find these.

If you have some stuff, maybe post some pics (possible in a new thread) and someone may be able to help you get this figured out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts