Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post to this forum so I apologize if thinks are no correct. Has anyone had any issues with the 1025R front spindle seals leaking. I have 70 HRs on mine and the left side started leaking from what I think is from lack of a vent on the front housing, just curious if anyone has experience this. The dealer repaired the problem without issue and said that a vent is not needed but a tend to disagree with them.

·
Administrator
18,313 Posts
:wgtt:

I've not read of spindle seals being an issue at all with these models. The venting issue has been hotly debated here and on other tractor forums, never any conclusions but in know that no JD sub-compact or compact has them.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Those seals are easy to F up when installing. If the tractor is under warranty, I would call the dealer

·
Premium Member
14,906 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

As KennyD posted since dealer replaced it , you should be fine.

I've owned a 1026 and now 1025 total hours over 600 hrs no problem.

Enjoy your tractor it was just one of those items that failed , either bad part or human error when it was built.

·
Registered
307 Posts
This is my first post to this forum so I apologize if thinks are no correct. Has anyone had any issues with the 1025R front spindle seals leaking. I have 70 HRs on mine and the left side started leaking from what I think is from lack of a vent on the front housing, just curious if anyone has experience this. The dealer repaired the problem without issue and said that a vent is not needed but a tend to disagree with them.
Can you tell us why?

·
Premium Member
13,666 Posts
Welcome.

Seal leaks on these axles are few and far between. Been designed like this for a few decades so I would say it's a proven design IMO.

Since the dealer fixed you up, you should be trouble free.
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oh yeah

·
Premium Member
5,804 Posts
My 2038R has a front axle vent. I only know because after running it up the road I had a drip under the pumpkin. There was an update apparently because the dealer sent someone out and they replaced the vent. The new vent is more of a check valve, air cannot come out but can breathe in. I am glad to hear the others didn’t have them because I was not sure I was a fan of it becoming “pressurized” so to speak.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Can you take a picture, Herm? Never seen it on mine.

·
Premium Member
12,755 Posts
The new vent is more of a check valve, air cannot come out but can breathe in.
Are you sure it isn't the opposite? Breathing in would allow water to enter the axle housing. Normally the axle will build up pressure when the oil gets hot with use. A vent would typically let the pressure equalize thus preventing oil leaks but it needs to be located such that water cannot get sucked in.

·
Premium Member
12,755 Posts
Can you take a picture, Herm? Never seen it on mine.
Part #48. This is a 2038R axle. As you can see below there has been a part number revision

2038r_axle_breather.jpg

48SU52604Breather1USE WITH LVA22756; SUB FOR LVU32912

Part Number:
SU52604
Replaces Part:LVU32912
Part Price:24.11 USD
On Hand:
0 Check Other Stores
Description:Breather - BREATHER, OIL BREATHER PLUG
Package Quantity:1

·
Premium Member
5,804 Posts
Well to be honest I don't remember but I thought I could blow through it but not suck in but I could have it backwards.

When I first saw the oil under the front I thought crap, that lasted a week before it became like an old tractor. The I figured I parked it over an existing puddle. The next time I ran it up the road I had the same thing. I investigated it and put a nipple in the hole and routed a hose through a grommet up inside the battery compartment about 2-3 feet higher than its standard position. I typed up an email and photos to my dealer and let them know what I did, just in case they had a problem with it that would affect the warranty. I had sealed up the hole with a grommet that the hose came though because that front area is sealed up very well. They had no issue with it and I was surprised a few months later when they said they had an updated vent to fix this problem. It made me feel good that this was a concern of John Deere and that they were going to correct it. They sent out a mechanic and he put the breather back up on the hose that I had installed.

Now that I think about it I still thing it allows air in, not out. The only reason I say that is there was a tiny amount of vapor that must have come out of the breather even being that high because there was some dust stuck to it. If no vapor could get out the dust would not be there. The original breather is hard to see but it is the shiny thing above the psi marking on the hose.

Fyi there is a large oval shaped rubber seal under the battery. When you wash this tractor it will hold a fair amount of water in the cavity around the battery. You can push it back a little bit to drain it easily but do not push it out. I am careful because it looks like the battery needs to be pulled to reinstall it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Thank you, herm. I guess I’m going to have to call my dealership about this. I haven’t had any oil spots but if JD put out a fix, there is a good reason for it. I wish my dealer was proactive like this. Did the dealership cover the cost? Is this something I can put on if they send it too me?

Reactions: Marlin and PJR832

·
Premium Member
12,755 Posts
Thank you, herm. I guess I’m going to have to call my dealership about this. I haven’t had any oil spots but if JD put out a fix, there is a good reason for it. I wish my dealer was proactive like this. Did the dealership cover the cost? Is this something I can put on if they send it too me?
It just threads into the top of the axle housing.

In most cases the dealer won't give you warranty parts to install yourself because part of the warranty claim process requires the dealer to do the install.

But it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Premium Member
5,804 Posts
I suspect yours is new enough it had it done already. Mine was fixed before I remember you getting yours.

It just threads into the top of the axle housing.

In most cases the dealer won't give you warranty parts to install yourself because part of the warranty claim process requires the dealer to do the install.

But it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.
Correct, plus they needed the old one back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue with front left Knuckle

Hello Beachboy... I have the same problem with my 1025r front left knuckle REALLY leaking and I have just got to 200hrs! I intend to replace the seal myself...has anyone done this before and do you have any tips? Thanks Retired747

1 - 16 of 16 Posts