Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing my new 2720 for winter use with the blower. I have a steep gravel driveway and have always needed chains on my previous tractors. My intention was to use chains on all four wheels. Although once the tractor was delivered I was disappointed to see that the clearance of the tie rod ends on the front tires was so close that running chains was impossible. I was browsing through the JD parts system a week ago and noticed they listed a special spacer for the front wheels. The description mentioned "for use with chains". Whooo hooo, this is exactly what I was looking for. So I ordered a pair and installed them this afternoon. I removed the front tires and had them filled with Rim Guard at the same time.

Below are some photos showing the before and after, along with photos of the spacer installation. I cut the head off a 14mm bolt to use as a guide pin for installing the heavy wheels. I intend to make a 12mm two pin set for the rear as well. The spacer requires the use of longer (14mm x 50mm) bolts which I ordered from John Deere when I ordered the spacers.

Ther spacers are P/N LVU12475 and the bolts are P/N LVU13274

The photos below show the hub with and without the spacer, the old and new bolts, and the before and after tie rod clearance.

I hope this is helpful to anyone else wanting to run front chains on their 2x20 tractor.

Auto part Vehicle Wheel Brake Transmission part
Auto part Disc brake Wheel Rotor Vehicle brake
Screw Auto part Fastener Nut Metal
Tire Auto part Automotive tire Brake Vehicle brake

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Vehicle Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
That is a great tip! One of those...doh,why didnt I think of that . I stripped the threads on one of my rear lugbolts trying to swap the rear tires .

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,465 Posts
That is a great tip! One of those...doh,why didnt I think of that . I stripped the threads on one of my rear lugbolts trying to swap the rear tires .
You ARE just like me. I have been fighting with my front spacers since the first time I put them on. I install them every winter for chain use, never occurred to me to install a bolt with a cut off head for alignment first. No sense being a dumba** unless ya show it I guess.
Thanks jgayman :good2:

Reactions: pcabe5 and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm glad you all found the alignment stud idea helpful. One thing I forgot to mention is that I flattened two sides on the grinder so that an open-end wrench ( 1/2" ) would fit as once you have the tire mounted and the other bolts inserted the alignment stud can be slightly hard to unscrew by hand. By loosening a few turns with the wrench it comes right out. :thumbup1gif:

- John

Reactions: pcabe5 and BigJim55

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,465 Posts
I'm glad you all found the alignment stud idea helpful. One thing I forgot to mention is that I flattened two sides on the grinder so that an open-end wrench ( 1/2" ) would fit as once you have the tire mounted and the other bolts inserted the alignment stud can be slightly hard to unscrew by hand. By loosening a few turns with the wrench it comes right out. :thumbup1gif:

- John
STOP IT! You're just making me feel worse!
Good idea. Thanks

·
Registered
15,719 Posts

·
Registered
15,719 Posts
Now that I think about it, all three of us went to different high schools together. However, I think I may have graduated before you and rgd. So, age would be my excuse. Although, I wasn't the one who lost the GTT web address for two months.

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I install them every winter for chain use, never occurred to me to install a bolt with a cut off head for alignment first.
Is there a particular reason that you install and remove the spacers each winter? I was planning on leaving mine on permanently as I figured an additional 2" of width on the front tires would have no ill effects.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,465 Posts
Is there a particular reason that you install and remove the spacers each winter? I was planning on leaving mine on permanently as I figured an additional 2" of width on the front tires would have no ill effects.
With FEL work the front axle does not need the change in pressure points. If I was only mowing with the tractor that would be a different story. I don't mow with our tractor but I do a LOT of FEL work.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm preparing my new 2720 for winter use with the blower. I have a steep gravel driveway and have always needed chains on my previous tractors. My intention was to use chains on all four wheels. Although once the tractor was delivered I was disappointed to see that the clearance of the tie rod ends on the front tires was so close that running chains was impossible. I was browsing through the JD parts system a week ago and noticed they listed a special spacer for the front wheels. The description mentioned "for use with chains". Whooo hooo, this is exactly what I was looking for. So I ordered a pair and installed them this afternoon. I removed the front tires and had them filled with Rim Guard at the same time.

Below are some photos showing the before and after, along with photos of the spacer installation. I cut the head off a 14mm bolt to use as a guide pin for installing the heavy wheels. I intend to make a 12mm two pin set for the rear as well. The spacer requires the use of longer (14mm x 50mm) bolts which I ordered from John Deere when I ordered the spacers.

Ther spacers are P/N LVU12475 and the bolts are P/N LVU13274

The photos below show the hub with and without the spacer, the old and new bolts, and the before and after tie rod clearance.

I hope this is helpful to anyone else wanting to run front chains on their 2x20 tractor.

View attachment 9945 View attachment 9946 View attachment 9947 View attachment 9948

View attachment 9949 View attachment 9950
I realize this thread is old, can you post some pics of front of tractor with spacers installed?
With FEL work the front axle does not need the change in pressure points. If I was only mowing with the tractor that would be a different story. I don't mow with our tractor but I do a LOT of FEL work.
Would it put that much more stress on front axel? I might be wrong, but looks like when you put weight on front end, then it could make wheels flex in causing wheels to rub tie rod end. The spacers should also give a better stance to help keep all four wheels on ground, although front pivots so that may not be the case. Just thinking out loud.

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
583 Posts
Some, but I wanted the whole front. Was just wondering how your tire angle was compared to mine. Mine pitch out at the top.

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some, but I wanted the whole front. Was just wondering how your tire angle was compared to mine. Mine pitch out at the top.
My front end has a positive camber as well. That is how the front axle is designed. Now that the 54" blower is installed for winter I can't really get a good head-on shot showing the front tires.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,465 Posts
Would it put that much more stress on front axel? I might be wrong, but looks like when you put weight on front end, then it could make wheels flex in causing wheels to rub tie rod end. The spacers should also give a better stance to help keep all four wheels on ground, although front pivots so that may not be the case. Just thinking out loud.
I left the spacers on from last winter and did a lot of FEL and heavy fork work this past summer. All seems fine. Thinking I'll just leave them installed.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Speaking of front Wheel spacers. I didn't like the way they bolted up. Now, my spacers are bolted on separately from the wheel with just a little modification of course. Here is how they turned out.

Attachments

Reactions: BigJim55 and rgd
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.