Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my front R4 tires has a slow leak, as a result of a very small puncture between 2 of the tread bars...almost dead center in the tire. The hole looks to be about the size that would be made by a trim or small finishing nail. The tire loses 6-8 psi over night. If I take to my tire shop, I'm figuring that they'll plug it instead of patching it from the inside. I could plug it at home, but it seems a shame to enlarge the hole, like I'm go to have to do, in order to insert the plug.

In lieu of plugging it, I'm considering using Slime tire sealant to seal up the leak. I've used the product in the past, and while its always worked well for me on a leak this size, i know that it makes a mess inside the tire...in the case that it needs to be removed from the rim at a future time. Any opinions on doing this? Or an alternate product?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have slimed all my tires an have plugged several holes and leaks with no problems. I recommend it if you have the right stuff to do it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Slime away!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
John Deere has a product that I used on my X748 with great success. Here is a link to it
They claim it actually prevents corrosion, and lasts the life of the tire.
Slime says that it lasts for 2 years, and others here have said that they have experienced rim corrosion.

I have seen on ATV forums that many people think the JD sealant is the best on the market.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
What's wrong with putting a tube in it?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Tubes will work, but you have to be very careful with them in the front tires of loader tractors. You have to keep the pressure up or the tube can get pinched when you have a load on and then you have a flat.
I have never heard of that,,, I guess it is possible.

I have never owned a tubeless loader tire,,,,Hmmmmmm

and I have never had a flat,,,, either,,, I have had a loader for 33 years,,,,

The chicken coop put a lot of "squat" on the tires that day,,,,,

I use the loader like this a LOT,, when I remember to air up the tires, I keep 40 psi in them,,,

·
Registered
754 Posts
Tubes will work, but you have to be very careful with them in the front tires of loader tractors. You have to keep the pressure up or the tube can get pinched when you have a load on and then you have a flat.
I've never actually heard that either. Granted you don't want overloaded tire sidewalls buckling whether the tires have inner tubes or are tubeless, but a low tubeless tire on a steering axle stands a much higher chance of coming off the rim bead than a tubed tire. I run inner tubes in all my tires except on cars & trucks. The front tires on my two antique tractors with narrow front ends are all tubed up too.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
X3
I plugged one of my fronts on the 2720 with WW fluid ballast leaking out of it. Been holding for a year now with no problems and used with a FEL a lot.

Mine had a nail in it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I developed a pin-hole leak in the sidewall of my front tire. Will the John Deere Tire Sealant work on this? Do I need to remove the tire and lie it hole-down to get the material on the tire?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
IMHO, I'd just ream it and plug it. Done.
X4
A small pinhole like that is the perfect candidate for a plug kit.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Depends where leak is at: rim then you need to clean and paint the rim because just cleaning the rim corrosion will come back and leak again most likely in a year so that is most likely candidate for tube, plug will work in the tread, if cord is showing in side replace tire cord will tear up tube.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
His very first sentence said the location of the leak

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yeah but he wants to slime the tire, just doesn't want the shop to repair with plug versus patch. Sounds like a big inconvience to him, but if he wants it repaired a certain way maybe he needs to shop around for a place that is willing to do it his way, but he will have to understand it will cost more that way. Most tire shop it is "Time is money"

·
Registered
546 Posts
What's wrong with putting a tube in it?
You have to dismount the tire to install the tube, or pay somebody to do it. I'd either plug the tire, or use the JD sealant. Less downtime, less hassle, just as effective.

To the OP, why worry about enlarging the hole? Either way, the tire isn't going to hold air. Using the correct plugging tools and procedure will get a reliable repair for as long as the tire lasts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts