Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Im thinking about building a front weight box on my 4720 tractor. Done a little looking around trying to find ideas. I run a deeptine aerator on the back of my tractor. It weights 2200 pounds +-. I have about 475 pounds on the front of the tractor now in weights. Was bouncing around the idea of making a front water box for the front.

I know water is 8 pounds per gallons. So 60 gallons would get me to 500 pounds. It would be great to not have to haul that extra weight from job to job. Thought I could just fill it at each job from there hose. 2" pipe on top with cap and 2" pipe and cap to drop it after. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Wondering if its worth the hassle. Anyplace online to use for calculations on size and weight of the steel i should use? Figured i throw it out in here.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Great idea, but if it were me, I think I would start with a 55 gallon drum.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i see there is 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot so I'm thinking its gonna be pretty big...lol

A 55 gallon drum is great idea, but don't think it would last long with that much weight without a lot of bracing on front of tractor. trying to make it look cool too... 55 gallon drum not cool nuff...lol

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I think it's going to be a lot of work, and I'm not sure how beneficial it will end up being. Is it that much more difficult to haul?

That said, it's a neat idea. What about using an old fuel tank off a medium duty truck like a box truck? They're 50-60 gallons, hang on the outside of the frame rail and you can find one with the mounting brackets and everything already on it. Last ones I bought were somewhere around $1-1.50 per gallon of tank capacity, but that's been several years. Any semi truck junkyard around you should have a bunch. You might even find an aluminum one, polish it up and that would certainly look...well, it'd be shiny! :lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea..
Not a pain to haul.. Just thinking about lighting my load. Weight is money. Plus Dot regs keeps me under the minimums.lol

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
A 55 gallon drum is great idea, but don't think it would last long with that much weight without a lot of bracing on front of tractor. trying to make it look cool too... 55 gallon drum not cool nuff...lol
Got it, I guess I am not quite the designer you are. :mocking:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that would work great.

Was thinking about have a shop roll me a 24"wx 30"l tube and fabing the ends and saddles up to hold it,But that tank is almost plug and play.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it, I guess I am not quite the designer you are. :mocking:
Now that I would not say... Ive see your stuff.... its not 55 gallon drum quality....lol:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Now that I would not say... Ive see your stuff.... its not 55 gallon drum quality....lol:bigthumb:
Glen's beat me to it, but I'd have to agree. The aluminum spreader spinner to replace the broken plastic one is the first project that comes to my mind....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah Randys not fooling anyone with that one.... ha ha....! Some Cool stuff some really cool stuff!

So I just got back from wrecked truck yard.. Scored a 36 gallon tank for this project with the mounts and straps.. 100$ was gonna roll some .080 aluminum and build a tank,but this tank off this cab over truck will work good I think. Should have it Thursday or Friday. Ill keep yall posted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the tank. Should be a fun project.

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
Be careful if you cut or weld on that tank. Even though they aren't as volitile as gasoline vapors, diesel fumes can still ruin your day. I hope I'm just stating the obvious. I don't like to see people get hurt.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
So Glen, this project gaining any traction?

:munch:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts