Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a John Deer 4300 and the front left wheel locks up when it’s in two wheel drive but will turn fine when it’s in four wheel drive. Not sure where to start with trying to solve the problem any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
12,253 Posts
I would start by jacking the front end up and comparing how easily the right front wheel spins compared to the left. It's possible you may have a bad wheel bearing or something that is putting a lot of drag on it that the MFWD system can over come when engaged.

I can look up the diagram for you... is your tractor a gear, reverser or hydro?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s hydro when I take it out of four wheel driver it will spin about six times then lock up

·
Premium Member
12,253 Posts
It’s hydro when I take it out of four wheel driver it will spin about six times then lock up
What does the other side do?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other side turns as normal. When the left side locks up it’s like it’s hitting on something on the inside and it has no play in it at all.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It sounds like a gear in the final drive is binding. When in 4WD, the driveline is turning the gear, versus the wheel. I bet it's in the gearset at that wheel. As directed, I'd jack up the front end, and see (and listen) as you turn the wheel by hand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I jack up the front end and turned the wheel and it locked up. To me it does sound like it’s binding on the the gears. What recommendation do you have on where to start from here

·
Registered
22,738 Posts
I jack up the front end and turned the wheel and it locked up. To me it does sound like it’s binding on the the gears. What recommendation do you have on where to start from here
If you are going to fix it yourself I would strongly recommend you buy the technical manual first. A tough thing to swallow at $305 as the price of this things have basically tripled recently, but it will guide you through the entire process. These manuals are a great thing to have for any diagnostics on your tractor.

You searched for Tm1677 - Green Farm Parts

·
Premium Member
12,253 Posts
At this point the next step is a tear down and inspection of the drive unit. As a previous poster suggested, you are going to want to have the Technical Manual in hand before starting any repairs. Not sure if any of the internal parts will require a press for reassembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
There very well may be competent mechanics in your area, who are capable of the repair. I have a close friend, for instance, who could handle it with ease. Also, there are some heavy equipment shops in my area that are more than able to do it, but don't cost as much as a dealership. So, you may have options, besides the dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts