Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing all the posts about front tire chains got me thinking. What would happen if you put wheel weights on the front wheels?

For my tractor (4510), I'll bet 1 series rear wheel weights would fit. On a 1 or 2 series, maybe some L&G weights would work. Would this add any advantage?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Yes but anytime your front bucket,blade,or blower isn't in the float position you take off the weight on the front axle and put it to the impalement.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes but anytime your front bucket,blade,or blower isn't in the float position you take off the weight on the front axle and put it to the impalement.

I don’t understand what you are talking about. :dunno: Can you maybe explain a little different? Maybe it’s just too early in the morning.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you explain this a little more?

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
I don’t understand what you are talking about. :dunno: Can you maybe explain a little different? Maybe it’s just too early in the morning.
I *think* what he was trying to point out is that is you are using a front mounted implement that exerts down pressure, the front wheel weights are of limited (or no...) use. The down pressure puts the weight of your tractor on the implement and takes it off of the front wheels so any weights on those front wheels are negated. The front wheel weights would only have effect when the implement is in float mode or is not in contact with the ground at all.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It’s early in the morning again, but I see what TJR345 is talking about. Now it makes more sense to me. I guess what really thru me off was the snowblower. I didn’t realize that you can use downpressure on the blower. I haven’t looked into to what front wheel weights weigh, but no larger than they would be, I wouldn’t think they wouldn’t weigh much at all and wouldn’t be worth the time or expense. They might look cool, but just for show.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Anytime you have a front attachment (bucket,blade,blower) that has hydros you have a 3 position valve,up,down,and float.You can put down pressure enough to bring the wheels off the ground,thus using front wheel weights won't help with traction as would chains on a 4wd tractor.Depending on the size of your rim Deere makes 30 lb weight,50 for 12"or you could add liquid to the tire as some due to the rear tires.
I've also seen custom brackets made on the front for suitcase weight for the front axle weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts