Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with front wheel spacers on their 1025r? Am going to 1.5 in the back because of my 60 inch mowing deck. Am looking for max stability on hills. My rear tires are loaded but not the front ones.. thanks guys

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,441 Posts
Deere does not recommend front spacers on the 1025R. As noted in one of your other posts front spacers don't really help because of the centered pivot point on the front axle.

Reactions: W9GFO

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,434 Posts
The front axle pivots, wider stance on the front doesn't do much for stability until the pivot reaches a stop. With rear spacers you'll be fine, not to mention, if you put spacers on the front it will throw off your alignment when driving over the deck. The only real reason for front spacers on a small tractor is if you had the need to chain up the front tires, which JD also does not recommend.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Don't put spacers on the front wheels. The front axle pivots and won't provide any stability till it hits the stop on the pivot.

rob

Reactions: W9GFO

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
In addition to what is mentioned above, spacers on the front wheels will also increase the strain on the bearings and it will change the steering geometry - which will increase strain on the bearings, gear train and steering linkage.

I'm not saying it will cause anything to break, but the normal wear and tear that a machine endures will be increased when wheels spacers are added - this applies to rear ones too. You will be using up more of the "safety factor" that is engineered into the the machine.

Reactions: Myasis Dragon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't put spacers on the front wheels. The front axle pivots and won't provide any stability till it hits the stop on the pivot.

rob
And if your front axle hits the stop, you're probably already in a bad situation.
The tractor has 4 wheels, but in most situations, in terms of balance the axle pivot is your one point of contact in the front. If you visualize the tractor as having 3 points of contact it's easy to see why rear axle spacers, loaded rear tires, rear wheel weights, and ballast behind the rear axle all add stability.
I think I posted this before, but at a dealer demo I watched the tech lift one rear wheel off the ground simply by pushing on the ROPS with one hand. The tractor had a load in the FEL and no rear ballast, so the center of gravity was well in front of the operator. It was pretty eye-opening.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
[QUOTE="robwheeler, post: 3638502, member: 118004"

I don't have a mid-mount mower so I got 1.5" for the two rear tires. Pucker factor eased a bunch.

rob
[/QUOTE]

Same here. I started with loaded tires and 3ph weight. Rear wheel spacers (2” in my case) really improved how stable it feels. Then I added 72# wheel weights and it feels even more stable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts