Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the JD dealer today and this was on the lot.
It doesn't use the Quick Hitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More pictures

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
Reactions: Levi and etcallhome

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a bow in the top face of the blower or is that an optical illusion?

Any idea of the cost?

Thanks for posting!
That is an illusion. It is flat across the top but is not straight across the front.
Scroll down and you will see that it “v’s” inward.

Also, the switch for the chute actuator is strapped onto the dipper stick.
Looks cheap and really should be a momentary switch in the dash to be done properly given this is a JD piece.

Not sure of the price.

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
Wow... very interesting. Totally different front hitch arrangement, drive shaft and bearing support system. It appears to have a gear box to reduce the speed of the 2100 RPM mid-PTO. Nice hydraulic motor for the chute rotation and linear actuator for the spout control. I assume the hydraulic rotation and electric spout control are standard?

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
The top of the auger housing appears to be in the shape of a "V" with the ends wider and then narrowing in the center. I've not seen that before on a snow blower.

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
Another interesting observation... note how the chute is to the right of the impeller (from the drivers seat) whereas it is to the left on the current blowers. That means the impeller on this blower turns in the opposite direction compared to the existing 47" and 54" blowers. Which makes sense given it is probably driven by a small gear turning a big gear in the gearbox giving not only a reduction but a change in direction. This compared to the chain and sprockets on the 47/54" which gives a reduction but maintains the same rotation direction.

I'm curious how the hydraulic chute rotation works as I don't see any teeth on the black ring which goes around the bottom of the chute.

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
Another interesting observation... note how the chute is to the right of the impeller (from the drivers seat) whereas it is to the left on the current blowers. That means the impeller on this blower turns in the opposite direction compared to the existing 47" and 54" blowers. Which makes sense given it is probably driven by a small gear turning a big gear in the gearbox giving not only a reduction but a change in direction. This compared to the chain and sprockets on the 47/54" which gives a reduction but maintains the same rotation direction.

I'm curious how the hydraulic chute rotation works as I don't see any teeth on the black ring which goes around the bottom of the chute.
It looks like they used a lot of the SB-1154 3-point blower parts to put this thing together.

That black ring holds the chute on to the top of the machine just like the SB-1154. The teeth are sandwiched under that ring along the edge of the chute housing.

I'd guess that's why that have the gear reduction too. Slow down the PTO drive from 2100 RPM to 540 RPM.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Looks expensive, but heavy duty like the Frontier 3 point models.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts

Any idea of the cost?

Thanks for posting!
$5900 canadian dollars. Comes with hydraulic deflector. They were not budging on price as its a new item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Levi and PJR832

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
I like just about everything about it.

Front hitch is beefy. Gear reduction drive. Chute orientation and deflector controls are nice. It has a large cupped steel fan. My only concern is the auger diameter is smaller than the one used on the 47 / 54 SB's. That may account for the large snow pile build-up ahead of the blower housing in the video. Everything else is A-OK.

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
$5900 canadian dollars. Comes with hydraulic deflector. They were not budging on price as its a new item.
So that's about $895 U.S. right? Sorry, couldn't help it. :hide:

Actually close to $4800 U.S.

Then again, they may not even offer this unit south of the border.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So that's about $895 U.S. right? Sorry, couldn't help it. :hide:

Actually close to $4800 U.S.

Then again, they may not even offer this unit south of the border.
Lol. Yeah you’re about right .. $895 lol.
Other than seeing it on the lot, I had not heard or seen anything on the internet about it.

I am sure it will be available shortly down south. Maybe with added tarrifs??

·
Premium Member
9,310 Posts

Front hitch is beefy. Gear reduction drive. Chute orientation and deflector controls are nice. It has a large cupped steel fan. My only concern is the auger diameter is smaller than the one used on the 47 / 54 SB's. That may account for the large snow pile build-up ahead of the blower housing in the video. Everything else is A-OK.
Same thoughts.....I figured there had to be a gear reduction issue when taking the blower designed to run on the rear 540 pto and putting it on the front / mid PTO at nearly 4 x the RPM speed.

I wonder how easily that hitch aligns when installing the implement on it. It appears that the main mounting point is that large round "pin", which could lead to some manual wrestling of the blower to get things lined up just right to hitch, verses the "V" on the top of the quick attach hitch which makes picking up blades and blowers easy.

I am disappointed how low the entire hitch mechanism is on the front of the tractor. One of the disappointments with the 1 series is the fact that the front hitch mounts UNDER the front of the tractor on this horizontal brackets on the bottom of the frame, verses on the front of the machine as was the case in my 455 and is how it's done on all of the x7xx machines as well.

The result is the entire hitch is much lower and the implement lift height is much less, at least 5" less, which is a big deal when using a plow on the front of these machines and attempting to pile snow. It's just absurd that the larger tractor can't pick up an implement off two stacked pallets that was placed there by a smaller machine, in my case the 455. Imagine how thrilled I was to learn my new larger frame machine couldn't "reach" the blade and blower which were stacked on pallets for storage by my older, smaller machine. It's a step backwards when the previous machines, which are smaller in statue, can lift the entire blade / blower assembly higher than this larger machine can.

I was hoping the 3 point style front hitch would restore the lifting ability of the front of the machine. It doesn't appear that is the case since it is mounting just as low on the front of the machine as the front quick attach hitch does. Plus the entire hitch being that low results in it getting hung up easier in deep snow piles when you push into them attempting to overcome the limited lift height to stack snow.

In theory, the blower lift height isn't as critical, but it is important to make the front mounting systems as universal as possible to avoid having to spend money for different mounts for different implements. Plus those of us who switch back and forth between the blade and blower certainly want that process to be as streamlined as possible.

·
Premium Member
9,310 Posts

Is the deflector actually hydraulic or is it electric? It appears to have wires running to it, not hydraulic lines.

If it's hydraulic, that's going to require an additional set of hoses as one set lifts the hitch, one set rotates the chute already..........that means diverter valve or an additional hydraulic function and that's at least another $900 one has to spend to make this work..........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is the deflector actually hydraulic or is it electric? It appears to have wires running to it, not hydraulic lines.

If it's hydraulic, that's going to require an additional set of hoses as one set lifts the hitch, one set rotates the chute already..........that means diverter valve or an additional hydraulic function and that's at least another $900 one has to spend to make this work..........
Electric.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

Just a bit of word mixup I think. Chute directional control runs on hydraulic from the existing loader SCV and joystick per the pictures, probably left and right controls for left and right rotation, the other two (up and down) functions would raise and lower the blower on the hitch. The deflector angle is electric, motor and lines are visible in the pictures and the switch and box are shown attached on the joystick (loader control). I took the comment to mean that if it was electric it should or could have been better executed such as a momentary style dash button OR should have been a hydraulic diverter type.

·
Premium Member
9,310 Posts

I sure would like to know if both tractors were operating at the same engine speed in the video and if everything else was the same.....Frankly, I thought the video showed the Frontier blower being outperformed by the Yellow Deere blower, one which has been virtually unchanged in design for 25 years plus, other than the 54" Yellow blower using a plastic impeller verses the 47" blowers from Deere.......

My take from the video was not that the Frontier would be my choice, it was why can't the Frontier blower keep up in what are minimal snow conditions for blower use in my area?..........Plus the clown with the Frontier blower just had to throw snow at the camera for some reason.......which is only a distraction to the entire video, not helpful in anyway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts