Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seriously contemplating getting a Frontier LP1160 land plane.
Wondering if anyone has one and if they work as good as i think they would for my purpose.
I have close to a 1/4 mile of gravel driveway to maintain and keep crowned. I have a box blade that i got with my 1025.
It just doesn't have the smooth continuos flow i'm looking for. The problem with the BB, or a scraper blade is that they rely on the tractor to stay smooth. Tractor hits a bump, they bump up. Use them in float, they'll dig to China.
I've run many graders and built many a road and highway in my job as an op so it bugs me and keeps making me look for something easier and faster without actually buying an old grader.

The land plane looks to have drag bars angled to move material sideways and long sides to keep it afloat better.
Anyone use one?

5324129_large.jpg

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About how much does it usually shave off and move accross cut edges?

·
Registered
85 Posts
depends on how low you drop the 3point.
I find about 3-3.5 is right for dressing the drive.
if you have high spots drop it all the way and dig it up. then you can move it around.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used them. Work GREAT. So much more forgiving than a box blade. I sell them free shipping nationwide if you're interested. Thanks
Always interested in the best deal. This would be the LP1160.:lol:

·
Registered
346 Posts
depends on how low you drop the 3point.
I find about 3-3.5 is right for dressing the drive.
if you have high spots drop it all the way and dig it up. then you can move it around.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. A land plane is designed to drag on the ground, there is no reason to work the 3 point up and down. Drop it and go. The most I've ever done is adjust the top link (cylinder) to change the pitch. If it cuts too much I raise the front edge to let some material pass under the front blade. The cutting edges are usually adjustable to change how aggressively it cuts. Mine came set about 3/4" below the runners and I've never felt the need to adjust them. It will build up material in front of the front blade and distribute it laterally until it starts rolling over the top. Then the second blade does the same thing. It automatically cuts highs and fills lows. It does not aggressively move material to the side and it will never cut more than the depth of the cutting edges. I think the angle on the blades is more to get the material rolling so it doesn't just build in one spot, it's not really meant to push it to one side. If it's too wet you get clumps, too dry it doesn't cut. A couple days after a good rain works best for me. I've never used the rippers on the driveway, but I have used them on soil.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Lp1160

I ordered a Frontier Land Plane 1160 3 point from my local dealer.
3 point over the ball type so easy to pick up & back into parking areas of my long driveway.
Local dealer as easy to work with, decent pricing & just convenient to get from.
Should be here in a couple of weeks :greentractorride:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Has anyone ever compared a landscape rake to a land plane?

I have a 1/4 mile driveway, and have used a 6' back blade and loader up to this year.
I ran into a deal ($300) on a 7' landscape rake with gauge wheels,,, and WOW, it is perfect for the driveway,,, :bigthumb:

The gauge wheels really allow the rake to perfect the driveway.

Maybe some day I will try the gauge wheel kit on the 6 foot back blade,,, :dunno:

I would still consider a land plane, but, with the gauge wheel equipped landscaping rake results,
I think I would actually have to try one, before I bought it,,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts