Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 48" landscape rake from the dealer today. Been looking for used for about 6 month, but nothing came up that peaked my interested, was small enough, or close enough to be considered a deal.

Just did a major renovation with new septic, waterproofing entire foundation, garage and weeping tile, so my 1,1/3 acre lot had been turned into a rocky dirt pile.
I could not find a small one to rent or buy used so bite the bullet and picked this up from jd.

Frontier LR5048L
photo 1.jpg

From doing a little research, the "50" series seems to have been design for the scut machine, particularly the 1 series rated a 18 pto hp. The price on these units was also much more in-line with what i was looking to pay for a "one time use" implement.

Whats nice about the "50" series is the wheel kit is much more affordable then the other models. At $230 versus $380 (for the "20" series) I decided to add them to my order in hope of extending the use of the rake to leaves, branches, pine needles and still protecting the lawn.

photo 2.jpg

Whats also nice about the wheel kit for the "50" series, is it can be ordered with the rake and be discounted. The "20" series is a parts order and you pay full price.

Ran it around for about 30 min this afternoon, and looks like it will do a great job as it was pulling up some rocks i could not even see.

For reference, here are the pricing i was looking at in Cdn funds.

LR5048L $605 Wheel kit $230 Paid $770
LR5060L $696 Wheel Kit $230
LR2060L $765 Wheel Kit $380 Quoted $1117

·
Administrator
20,976 Posts
Thanks for the write-up! I'm looking forward to seeing the before and after pics with some comments about how it works. :hi: I'm interested in maybe acquiring a rake myself so your input is greatly appreciated.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm interested also in the final details of how it works out for you and seeing before and after pics if you have not already completed the work.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nice

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
Looks as if it may be hard to remove/replace individual tines?
Can you do a full 360 swing with it attached to the tractor?
BTW, you won't regret the wheel kit.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks as if it may be hard to remove/replace individual tines?
Can you do a full 360 swing with it attached to the tractor?
BTW, you won't regret the wheel kit.
You can swing it 360, but with the wheel kit on you have to remove one wheel to clear the frame.

The tines are held on in three groups. So it looks like you can just loosen a section and pop the old one out. Here's a pic of the construction.

(Ok no pic, it's telling me its an invalid file on tap talk from an iPhone. Will post up later. )

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
You can swing it 360, but with the wheel kit on you have to remove one wheel to clear the frame.

The tines are held on in three groups. So it looks like you can just loosen a section and pop the old one out. Here's a pic of the construction.

(Ok no pic, it's telling me its an invalid file on tap talk from an iPhone. Will post up later. )
Nice! Look forward to the picture.
Once you get accustom to this thing it will amaze you. My wife does a far better job with one of these than I can.
I'll say it again, good choice on the wheel kit.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
616 Posts
I too am interested in your progress. I am also looking at a BB5060L box scraper for the 1 series. Trying to work up a deal for both. Will et you guys know how that works out.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Been using this rake for spring, mainly flattening and leveling loose dirt getting ready for seed.

Today I got to hit the back and put the rake to work. The contractor used left over material to fill over the back. Including part of the old driveway thrown in.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367377595.425225.jpg

Major limitation here was the new septic bed was only about 6" deep, so I was limited to just scraping the surface to avoid damage.

Rake worked very well to loosen and remove the rocks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367377767.091584.jpg

Few videos in action.

One more pass to clean up the hill.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367377897.725098.jpg

·
Registered
383 Posts
I borrowed a 7' King Cutter landscape rake from a friend over the weekend. I wanted to rake the leaves and twigs that came down over the winter. I did not use it much, because I discovered that big thing does more damage than good. A 4 ' or 5' rake may work better. But after that experience, I am not a real believer in such a tool.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I borrowed a 7' King Cutter landscape rake from a friend over the weekend. I wanted to rake the leaves and twigs that came down over the winter. I did not use it much, because I discovered that big thing does more damage than good. A 4 ' or 5' rake may work better. But after that experience, I am not a real believer in such a tool.
Yeah I have heard if you have a thick strong grass it can be used for this. But it's not going to get it all. Just the big stuff. A wheel kit would defiantly help here too.

A pine straw rake would work much better for this type of work.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm curious Sawdust, do you wish you had bought the 60 after using the 48 for a while? I got the LR5060L (with guage wheels) and can't imagine a smaller one.

The first thing I learned using this rake is that it sticks out 14miles behind the tractor! Turns can be treacherous, you have to very aware not to swing wide in tight places.

The second thing I learned was that the spacing collars they used for the guage wheels are really a very clever way to set the height. Like you appear to be doing I use three below and one above, but it seems your "dig" is deeper than mine. I suspect the angle of the imatch is the answer. Mine is raked back towards the tractor at the top.

On the whole I am very pleased with this purchase. I also got a BB5060L but I haven't had a chance to put it to work yet. I bought mine from Shane at Mutton Power, and had both shipped to me in Pennsylvania. It was so far my best purchasing experience EVER for the tractor. He will be getting my future business.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
161 Posts
When you use the rake for light work like sticks, pine needles, cones etc., I would suspect the wheel kit is almost mandatory. That being said, is position control also needed to cradle the rake in the right spot between the 3 point and the wheels? Anyone used it in this fashion with a comment?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Not really necessary with the guage wheels. One could keep it higher up with the position control for whatever reason, but essentially you can lower it to the ground and the wheels will protect you for 95% of your raking. Occasionally, if you catch a highpoint out and the end it can gouge the ground, so one has to be careful.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah I have heard if you have a thick strong grass it can be used for this. But it's not going to get it all. Just the big stuff. A wheel kit would defiantly help here too.

A pine straw rake would work much better for this type of work.
That might be, but I want to alert everybody to be careful with those things cause the tractor gives not much feedback on destroying the lawn instead of racking it!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm curious Sawdust, do you wish you had bought the 60 after using the 48 for a while? I got the LR5060L (with guage wheels) and can't imagine a smaller one.
I am very happy with the 48”, keep in mind I have a small property (1 1/3 acres) short paved driveway and all grass. I bought this rake to help in doing my landscaping after the major renovation, also the main reason for justifying the tractor to the wife. :lol: So for me the uses are not quite as long term. So the smaller model, saved $100 now, easier to store, and a few extra passes if needed are not really an issue.

The first thing I learned using this rake is that it sticks out 14miles behind the tractor! Turns can be treacherous, you have to very aware not to swing wide in tight places.

The second thing I learned was that the spacing collars they used for the guage wheels are really a very clever way to set the height. Like you appear to be doing I use three below and one above, but it seems your "dig" is deeper than mine. I suspect the angle of the imatch is the answer. Mine is raked back towards the tractor at the top.
Certainly have to watch out on turns, of course the 49” model would be about 6” shorter then the 60”.

Spacers and 3pt hitch adjustments definitely help with the fine tuning. My goal was to just scrape the surface, rooming rocks with out diving too deep into the soil. Keep in mind too the area I am working was uneven with rocks sticking up and out.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I hear you, that makes alot of sense. I have about 4 acres, and I went to the 60 only because folks here made it clear to me that when on an angle the 48" would not cover the width of the tractor! Which reminds me of third thing I learned, when turn with the rake ground engaged, do NOT expect the rake to follow the path of the tractor, the tighter you turn, the more likely your raking will be outside your tire lines!! :laugh:

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a drag harrow that works perfect for that. I have used to do final smoothing of recently relocated soil (before seed) and to de-thatch and pick up sticks/debris. The one I have is 4'x8' (like this one Loyal Drag Harrow, 4 ft. x 8 ft. - Tractor Supply Online Store

Does not do much damage, but also does not work to pick up small rocks, or move any dirt that is not already broken loose.

One nice thing is that it takes almost no space up. I have 2 hooks on the wall in the shed and it hangs in 4'x4' of wall space.

Lee

1 - 18 of 18 Posts