Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Neighbor brought this spreader by for me to take a look at. Apparently it was backed up when engaged possibly causing the bracket that holds the gear pawls to bend. Not sure how the gear pawls are supposed to engage but both of them are currently locking the gear in place and won’t rotate the conveyor. Looks like a ratcheting system? I am planning on straightening the bracket back to normal but I’m really clueless on how it’s supposed to function. Last picture of bent area after pawl removed. Any pointers appreciated or operational manual link would be great. Thanks
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Asphalt
Motor vehicle Gas Circuit component Machine Electrical wiring
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades Machine
Gas Wood Bumper Machine Machine tool

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No update yet, might try a little tomorrow between my split shift otherwise I’ll tackle it Saturday morning. The bracket is fixed now but the conveyor totally jammed up so I’ll look into it this weekend and report back

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem isn’t from backing up the machine as my neighbor was accused of. The right side shaft carrier (rear) for the conveyor has seized. They said they have only used it 3 times. I took the entire drive side of shaft apart and didn’t notice any issues. However, the right side was locked up. I pumped grease into the fitting and it comes out the face like you would expect. I believe it it seized on the inside, maybe some sort of mfg defect. Anyway I dropped it back off to see if he can get anywhere with John Deere for warranty repairs instead of abuse charges. I told him to try again with warranty but worst case I could cut the support bearing off the shaft, re-weld it and bore the bearing out if no luck with Deere. He was told $1600 to fix it. Crazy

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wood Gas Machine Auto part Metal
Wood Gas Pipe Plumbing fitting Tobacco
Wood Electrical wiring Plant Gas Terrestrial plant
Wood Machine tool Gas Machine Auto part
Automotive tire Wood Machine tool Gas Milling
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine
Road surface Asphalt Circle Grass Wood

Well I think I did all I could do for the bad bearing. The spreader is up and running again so the neighbor can get his manure pile knocked down.
Do you think he might have a claim with Frontier? I don’t think a seized bearing could be caused by backing it up engaged. It needs a new side bearing/support, shaft, pawls, gear and some misc still. This fix will most likely not last forever

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.