Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my Frontier spreader for the first time to spread winter rye seed. I've had it a year or so, and have spread granular fertilizers and lime with no problems.

Spreading rye seed, I noticed that the flow of seed started to slow down as I went. Finally the seed stopped dropping completely, even with the spreader opening set to maximum. When I stuck my arm into the spreader (tractor off, of course) I felt a paste-like plug in the bottom of the spreader. When I dumped the rest of the seed out, the bottom of the spreader was coated with a material that looked like really hard peanut butter, and it had stopped up the openings. Some of it was so hard hat I had to resort to a chisel to flake it off.

I am assuming the agitator wheel was crushing the rye seeds against the metal wall of the spreader, and releasing oils that caused the problem.

Is this something that others have seen, and will removing the agitator wheel next time prevent it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the Frontier Spreader SS1036B. Were you spreading coated seeds? I seeded approx. 17 acres last year. Some of the bags I bought were coated - when I spread them the coating came off and slowly plugged things up. I will never try that again.

But, when I spread regular non-coated seeds - a homemade blend of fescue, orchard grass, and winter wheat - I slowed the PTO rpms to reduce the potential damage to the seeds. Slowing the PTO didn't have any negative impact on the spreading distance in my opinion. I was very concerned that the seeds would be damaged by the beating they received from the agitator, that is why I slowed the agitator rpms. I didn't notice any great loss in seed germination so I think the seeds weren't damaged. None of the seeds were rye grass though.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question about coating. I saved a half bag of seed, and I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Rye grass spreader

I used the same spreader with winter rye seed and had no problem at 3000 rpm over 3 acres. I don't know for sure, but doubt the seed was coated.

Reactions: BigJim55 and PJR832

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the remaining bags of seed today - I mixed Flying A, Winterhawk, and Attain. None of them were coated.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
592 Posts
I am assuming that the spreader was clean at the bottom before you added your seed? You mentioned that you have already used the spreader to spread fertilizer and if you still had fertilizer residue in the spreader, it will hold moisture and gum things up. I am wondering if there was still a film of fertilizer in the hopper. You can spray the spreader with water, but that won't get all of the fertilizer residue off. You have to also use a rag or your hand, along with water to get it all off. This might not apply in your case, but it was just an idea I have, as I have experience with cleaning out fertilizer spreaders. With enough residue and the seed, that might be what happened.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thought I'd post a followup.

I had two 50 lb bags of seed left over from my fall seeding run- more than I remembered - I'd saved it to fill in patches I may have missed. I had about an acre where the growth was sparse, so I thought I'd spread the leftover rye seed there.

The spreader was very clean. It had been stored in my garage after its final use in the fall. Before I spread the remaining rye seed I removed the agitator from the spreader. This time, I had no problems, all the seed ran through the spreader cleanly with no clogs or evidence of crushing of the seeds.

Then I replaced the agitator, and spread 1,000 lbs of fertilizer over 5 acres. No problems with spreading the fertilizer, either.

So I'm still thinking that the agitator wheel was crushing the seeds against the wall of the spreader last fall, releasing oil from the seeds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts