Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this 7 foot hydraulic blade for my 4044r. After I got the blade and used it once I decided I wanted the skid shoes and optional blade sides. I went to my local John Deere dealer to order them. The skid shoes were no problem. With the blade sides they told me that they could only be included when you ordered the blade and not after the fact. Can anybody tell me if this is true? The same guy also told me my blade wouldn't have the correct holes to mount them and I looked and it does have the correct mounting holes. Has anyone else ordered these parts after getting their blade? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Yes, according to JDParts the end plates are listed as "Not Serviced Separately" and does not list a part number for them. I'd say he is not feeding you a line.

I am thinking you could easily make your own.

Here is the JDParts info.

Blade.jpg

End Plates Assembly (Optional)
CartkeyPART NO.PART NAMEQTY SERIAL NO.REMARKS
1......Plate2END, (NOT SERVICED SEPARATELY)
2......Spacer6(NOT SERVICED SEPARATELY)
3......Bolt65/8 X 2 1/2 HHCS GR5, (A)
4......Lock Washer65/8, (A)
5......Nut65/8 - 11, HEX, (A)
(A) STANDARD HARDWARE, OBTAIN LOCALLY

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I know things "are what they are" but in my opinion...... This sucks! Doesn't seem good for the company or customer.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
There are quite a few strange things with certain Frontier implements and parts. You typically don't encounter these issues with implements from other companies like Land Pride or Woods.

I do have a question... wouldn't having the end plates sort of defeat the purpose of having a blade with hydraulic angle control? I mean, the end plates pretty much makes the blade into a straight pusher.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
I know things "are what they are" but in my opinion...... This sucks! Doesn't seem good for the company or customer.
I agree. Looking at it from another angle, what if you had ordered the blade with the end plates and then somehow damaged one? I'll bet they don't tell you up front that the option is irreplaceable.

On the plus side, those plates would be very easy to make. Just pick up some 1/4" plate, trace the curve of the blade and have someone cut them out. The front shape isn't that critical. I'll bet you could make them for a lot less than the price JD would have wanted for the add-on.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I agree. Looking at it from another angle, what if you had ordered the blade with the end plates and then somehow damaged one? I'll bet they don't tell you up front that the option is irreplaceable.

On the plus side, those plates would be very easy to make. Just pick up some 1/4" plate, trace the curve of the blade and have someone cut them out. The front shape isn't that critical. I'll bet you could make them for a lot less than the price JD would have wanted for the add-on.
No doubt they can be made cheaper but it's the principle of it. Most buyers of their products do not have the know how, tools, and many the desire to make their own and would prefer to buy replacement part if it become damaged.

I may be totally wrong but from what I observe in my area frontier cat 1-2 implements seem to be purchased more by homeowners and commercial users purchase Deere or another brand all together.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are quite a few strange things with certain Frontier implements and parts. You typically don't encounter these issues with implements from other companies like Land Pride or Woods.

I do have a question... wouldn't having the end plates sort of defeat the purpose of having a blade with hydraulic angle control? I mean, the end plates pretty much makes the blade into a straight pusher.
I was being cheap. My logic I think was simple. I could grade my driveway and when I had a pile of "stuff" gathered up I could straighten the blade out and put the sides on and use it like a box blade to fill holes and level everything. Thanks to Frontier's weird parts policy I suppose I will never know if that will work or not :banghead:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, according to JDParts the end plates are listed as "Not Serviced Separately" and does not list a part number for them. I'd say he is not feeding you a line.

I am thinking you could easily make your own.

Here is the JDParts info.

View attachment 310441

End Plates Assembly (Optional)
CartkeyPART NO.PART NAMEQTY SERIAL NO.REMARKS
1......Plate2END, (NOT SERVICED SEPARATELY)
2......Spacer6(NOT SERVICED SEPARATELY)
3......Bolt65/8 X 2 1/2 HHCS GR5, (A)
4......Lock Washer65/8, (A)
5......Nut65/8 - 11, HEX, (A)
(A) STANDARD HARDWARE, OBTAIN LOCALLY

Thanks you very much for the info. This is the same picture that the parts guy at my dealership showed me. Its amazing they can't just sell me the dumb plates. I happily let them fleece me out of $85 for the skid shoes. It's sad when I'm begging to be punched in the wallet and they still won't do it.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Thanks you very much for the info. This is the same picture that the parts guy at my dealership showed me. Its amazing they can't just sell me the dumb plates. I happily let them fleece me out of $85 for the skid shoes. It's sad when I'm begging to be punched in the wallet and they still won't do it.
That's actually not a bad price for a pair of skid shoes. Land Pride wants around $190 for a set for a similar sized blade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts