Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at a Frontier 60”Rotary Cutter RC 2060. Anyone have any complaints with the unit. Also I was looking at a manual for the cutter online and it stated blade torque is 450 ft lbs. For those of you that have one, is that correct. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,625 Posts
I have no idea what the blade torque is, I will say this, I also have a 48" County Line (Tarter) and the cut quality is day and night between the two, I haven't seen many rotary cutters that cut as good as the Frontier.

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the Frontier 2072. I like the cut I get when mowing high grass/weeds in horse pasture. I don’t like the rear chain guard. It is very flimsy, after just a few hours of use the chain/cable broke off and was lost. This was somewhat my fault because I would back the cutter into tall weeds and that is what broke the cable loose.

With regards to the torque, my manual says 425 ftlbs. I bought a 42 mm socket from Amazon to fit the nuts that hold the blades. I use a 3/4” drive ratchet with a 4 ft long piece of 1” square steel tube. That works well to get the nuts tight.

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
I have the RC2048 and like it a lot. It's a beast and solidly built.
And yup, 425 ft lbs. But unless you beat it up on rocks or such, the blades should go a long time before they need attention. Then you can worry about getting them tight :laugh:

·
Registered
372 Posts
We have a 2060 on our 2015 2032R in our pastures. Our pastures are reclaimed bush and heavy timber. The typically reclaimed bush is to have thick and thin spots in the reseeded pasture grasses because of the soil conditions.

Runs fine, cuts good, cuts bush up to 4cm easily. I have cut thick grass about 1.5 meter high. Obviously you must go slower through thick and high material. It seems to cut better by taking a half width pass through the thick stuff. It will cut full width, but not as nice an end product as if you only take a half width pass. We rake up clippings for our small livestock. We don't run enough large livestock often enough to keep the pastures grazed down.

The only problem I have had is getting grease to the rear PTO shaft U joint. I have drilled a hole in the plastic boot around the slip clutch to give access. That one small detail has been a pain in the neck.

Somewhere I ran across a thread with pictures of how to make access to the U joint with a hole in the boot. Of course after I drilled the boot on our mower.

I'm not worried about bolt torque at this time. The blades will likely last as long as I need the mower. They can be sharpened in place if, and only if needed. The one detail I do know is, if or when you do replace blades, replace bolts at the same time.

I would buy it again.

My 5 cents of opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear chain guard RC2060

http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/TIFC711189_19/Output/TIFC711189.pdf

Note: Blade bolt tightening requires a 42mm socket
with extension, a torque multiplier, and a torque wrench
to torque nut to 425 ft./lbs.

I googled this for you!!:bigthumb:
I have the RC2060 and the rear chain guard is not sturdy enough. I'd like to get one that is in the picture on the brochure but my dealer says it isn't available. I do a lot of backing up cutting brush and the rear guard is bent in and the chains sometimes hit the blades. Apparently there is a new and an old style rear chain guard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the 2060 for a year and find it cheaply made. It kept gouging the lawn when wheels would lock and drag. I assumed I had it setup incorrectly and spent a lot of time adjusting. Then I caught it happening and saw that there were no spacers between wheel hub and side bracket, so the solid tires would just jam up against the side and tear up the turf. The dealer offered to let me buy some spacers, but I got some from Maverick Mower Supply. Just a bear to get the nuts off, and the bolts were badly corroded and rusting. You'd think if the purpose was to keep wheels turning, a better bolt would be reasonable. In addition, there's just a thin layer of green paint over steel/ iron, which quickly chips and goes straight to rust. Why wouldn't you prime the metal? I previous hand a JD 261 finishing mower and found the quality much higher than this Frontier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts