Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This afternoon I switched the hydraulic quick connectors on the new to me 3 year old Frontier SB1154 snowblower. When it's rotated the right, a little past half way, the chute binds slightly and sometimes it stops the rotation, other times it catches and releases when rotating to the left, then back to the right.

I removed a bolt from the hydraulic rotation arm, and the cute moves freely the plastic bushing looks fine. I removed the hold down clips and could see where about 1/4 of the flange had rubbed on a clip and caused the outer edge to mushroom over. And found the hydraulic mounting arm bolts to be loose. Tightened the mounting bold, removed the mushroom edges and reinstalled the hold down clips, making sure there there was plenty of clearance during rotation, but it still has the bind but perhaps not quite as bad.

I LOVE what sterling40man did to his blower in this thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...nstall-shute-rotation-3-point-snowblower.html (large hold down flanges rather than the small clips) but don't have a means to fabricate them, so that's out.

I think part of the problem is that the speed may be too quick during the rotation and will install an inline restrictor.

What else am I overlooking as problems or solutions?

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Registered
87 Posts
A lot of people cut a ring from a plastic truck mud flap or from a 5th wheel camper hitch disc & insert under the chute to help reduce the friction between the chute & the blower housing.

Reactions: 56Nine

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of people cut a ring from a plastic truck mud flap or from a 5th wheel camper hitch disc & insert under the chute to help reduce the friction between the chute & the blower housing.
I had no idea the 5th wheel camper hitch disc was even a thing. I see one can be had for about $11 of amazon...that sounds like the ticket.

Thank you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As long as the O.D. is large enough, you can cut it to whatever size you need.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up...

A fix (at least for now) has been installed. The 5th wheel hitch disc was not quite large enough, the chute footprint was about 14" diameter and the largest I could find was 10. My next search was for a plastic mudflap, at the time all I could find were the "rubbery" type, when at a truck stop I'll take a look.

At Walmart I found a flexible cutting mat that may work. It's thin, dense and slick.

Green Machine Plastic

After adding the cutting mat shim and the flow reducer, the chute did not bind during testing.
Bring on the snow!

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I thought I would followup to my thread with some additional information in the off chance that it may help others OR if someone else is looking for a fix to the sticky chute.

Earlier I referenced sterling40man's snow blower (in this thread) that had some really nice chute hold downs. In an off-line conversation he shared it came like that. I was puzzled and didn't give it another thought. The hold downs can be seen here here or in the red circle below:

Green Technology Grass Electronics Electronic device

For some reason today I thought about it again and logged into JDParts and discovered there two different series of SB1154 blower with the later being 111288. The later models have the fancy smancy hold downs and be found in the parts diagram (below) key line items 12 (4) 5RD665957, 13 (2) 5RD669496 , and 14(1) 5RD669497. The new hold downs should easily bolt in place of the cheesy pressed clips from the earlier (my) version. The parts are not available via GFP but can be ordered via JDParts for ~$55 That may sound like a lot, but to me it's CHEAP if it keeps the chute from binding and potentially (read tearing up) and disabling the blower in the middle of a snow storm.

Text Font Diagram Organism Document

1 - 6 of 6 Posts