Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the JD Frontier brand implements compare to other brands like, land pride or king kutter. Are they as good? Built as well? Looking at getting a Land plane for the driveway maintance. Also trying to decide on either a MMM or grooming mower.

·
Administrator
18,546 Posts
First, understand that Frontier does not "make" anything-it's just a brand name, It's all made by other top of the line companies like Woods, Land Pride, Bush Hog. In fact, sometimes the included instructions are still from the "other" company. The King Kutter stuff is usually a step below the other brands, built a little lighter and the paint is poor, but for occasional home owner use its just fine.

MMM vs. RFM has a lot to with terrain and obstacles. Describe your property a little please?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'm no expert on attachments, and I do like anything Deere green. I also admit to being chea..., I mean frugal. But anything I have seen Deere put their name on or word behind has been top quality. Even looking at the used equipment market for attachments, a rusty old Deere brand is generally in much more usable condition than a rusty old off-brand. I have no idea how old my moldboard plow is (probably 40 years), but even after sitting outside its whole life, it looks better built and like it will last longer than a new plow from TSC. Same with tillers, the Deere tillers look to be one step above the aftermarket ones I have seen around.

Reactions: arlen

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

MMM vs. RFM has a lot to with terrain and obstacles. Describe your property a little please?
I have 2.3 acres in arizona. It is a mixture of dirt, grass, and weeds. I only have 1 tree and half dozen cacti to mow around. I only have to mow 1-2 a month depending on rain fall. nwcorner.jpg

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I have 2.3 acres in arizona. It is a mixture of dirt, grass, and weeds. I only have 1 tree and half dozen cacti to mow around. I only have to mow 1-2 a month depending on rain fall. View attachment 17872
Wow, That looks dry and sparse. I would think a rear mower, a nice wide one, would be the ticket. You could oversize it a bit from the recommended PTO horsepower since it's not going to be cutting anything thick. The rear mower might keep the dust away from you and the tractor better.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Administrator
18,546 Posts
Wow, That looks dry and sparse. I would think a rear mower, a nice wide one, would be the ticket. You could oversize it a bit from the recommended PTO horsepower since it's not going to be cutting anything thick. The rear mower might keep the dust away from you and the tractor better.
I agree 100%. And you'll save about 50% over the cost of a MMM as well.

What machines are you looking at?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer has 1025, 2320, & 2720 on the lot. The 2720 is probably too much for what I would be doing. Leaning towards the 2320 right now due to better 3pt lift capacity. Uses are going to be mowing, hauling rocks, road maintance.

·
Administrator
18,546 Posts
A 72" light duty RFM would work well for you on the 2320, it would also handle your other task's quite well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
JD introduced the Frontier line in 2003. A press release at the stime stated:

"Deere has positioned the new brand as a group of rugged, reliable products that will complement existing John Deere products. It's the type of short-line equipment farmers used to have to go somewhere else to buy. The company hopes the products will help turn Deere dealerships into “one-stop” equipment shopping centers. Manufacturers such as Rome, Maschio, J&M, Woods and MacDon are among those contributing to the Frontier lineup."

In the ten years since it was introduced Frontier has gained a reputation as a high quality product. I recently bought a Frontier box blade and it is certainly well-made and I am very satisfied with it.

I bought a compact tractor years ago that had an available mmm. At the time there were no auto connect drive on decks and to remove and install this deck was a nightmare and a four-person job. I bought a pull-behind finish mower instead, which was also about 30% less in cost. The mower worked fine and did what it was supposed to do.

I recently bought a 1025 with the 60" mmm. It is so much easier to use. The autoconnect takes care of the mounting/dismounting issues with a belly mower, the tractor is so nimble it almost mowes like a zero turn mower, you don't have to keep looking behind you to see how it's mowing and the cut from this 60D mower is much better than the Woods finish mower.

On the other hand, if you don't do a lot of mowing you can probably find a finish mower for half the cost of the $2,500 mmm.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have both John Deere and Frontier implements and I am very pleased with them. You do pay a premium for them. I have used Buhler / Farm King in the past and I had no issues with their products - built strong and stood up to the hours I put on them. Some of the implements I have purchased at TSC and Farm and Fleet did not hold up over the years (My usage is more towards commercial than casual).

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've got a 5' brush hog, back blade, box blade, 5' tiller, and a rake all of which are made by King Kutter. No issues at all and I have put them to hard work. In my opinion they are built well. I would put the King Kutter tiller up against any of the big names and it is not only the cheaper priced tiller, in my opinion it is better built. You will find King Kutter less expensive than Frontier and some of the other brands. Landpride and Frontier make good stuff, but I think you can get equal quality for less money with King Kutter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I too own a variety of equipment brands and when I buy implements I buy them based on need, use, cost, etc. I bought a LandPride rotary mowers years ago and paid a bit more for it because I felt it was heavier made and would hold up better than some of the others that were available. I knew it would get heavy use and abuse. It now has hundreds of hours on it with no problems. I also recently bought a potato plow and went with the TSC brand. I recognize it's not has heavy duty as others I could have bought but I only plan to use it maybe a few hours a year digging potatoes in the garden. I don't need a $300 plow for this. If I planned to trench with it, dig in sod for laying pipe or whatever I would have bought something heavier.

·
Super Moderator
5,644 Posts
The dealer has 1025, 2320, & 2720 on the lot. The 2720 is probably too much for what I would be doing. Leaning towards the 2320 right now due to better 3pt lift capacity. Uses are going to be mowing, hauling rocks, road maintance.
Over the 1 Series.....correct? 25/2720 can lift just a bit more than the 23.

·
Registered
429 Posts
When I bought my 5065 I also bought a set of front and rear hay forks. The dealer told me he had a much better rear fork than a Frontier. I didn't get to see it. I told him ok use it. When I got the whole deal the rear hay forks were red and I forget who made it but it is a nice one. He said he would send me a quart of JD green that I never got. He also charged me JD price for it because I looked it up and found it for $300 less than he charged me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree 100%. And you'll save about 50% over the cost of a MMM as well.

What machines are you looking at?
Kennyd,

I have to humbly disagree with you on one point. The King Kutter 48" tiller is substantially heavier than the John Deere 647. The 48" KK II weighs in at 580 lbs. The JD 647 is under 400 lbs. I just bought a tiller this week and did not find the 647 to be statistically better in any category. The KK II has a cast housing, 6 tines per flange, and is a gear drive unit. It is also manufactured in Iowa, came with a slip clutch pto shaft, and was $700 cheaper than Deere. I do agree that the paint is crap and if left outside will not look good for long. I wanted all green equipment but could not justify buying an inferior product and spending more to do it. I am an engineer and find myself over analyzing every purchase I make including this one, but it just made sense.

·
Administrator
18,546 Posts
Kennyd,

I have to humbly disagree with you on one point. The King Kutter 48" tiller is substantially heavier than the John Deere 647. The 48" KK II weighs in at 580 lbs. The JD 647 is under 400 lbs. I just bought a tiller this week and did not find the 647 to be statistically better in any category. The KK II has a cast housing, 6 tines per flange, and is a gear drive unit. It is also manufactured in Iowa, came with a slip clutch pto shaft, and was $700 cheaper than Deere. I do agree that the paint is crap and if left outside will not look good for long. I wanted all green equipment but could not justify buying an inferior product and spending more to do it. I am an engineer and find myself over analyzing every purchase I make including this one, but it just made sense.

:wgtt:

And thanks! You make excellent points, I have never read a bad thing about he KK tillers, except of course the paint as you wrote.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The paint on the KK products is about the only thing I can some what complain about. It's hit and miss. My KK brush hog sits outside and I've had it close to 10 years. The paint held up very well. A few of my other KK attachments the paint is ok. My KK tiller I bought last year had a bad paint job, runs and drips all over the place. It didn't matter much to me, I painted it Deere Green right away. :) I also feel the KK tiller is a top notch piece of equipment and at a great price. I've had a chance to use mine a fair amount over the past year and it has worked well with no problems. You can't beat it for the price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts