Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

What do you do, if anything, in cold climate areas to deal with the frost heaving or bumps in the lawns, so that by July the lawns not a bumpy Safari Park?

Do you roll it when soft, aerate, or do you do anything?

Top dressing and leveling the bumps is too time consuming and hard work and raising the lawn over the patio level and path. Long term not good.

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
I roll mine with a 920 lb lawn roller. Otherwise the lawn resembles the lunar surface and you risk a twisted ankle every time you step on the lawn.

I just rolled mine on Friday. You need just the right conditions where the soil is squishy enough to easily pack down but not so wet that you have no traction.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I roll mine with a 920 lb lawn roller. Otherwise the lawn resembles the lunar surface and you risk a twisted ankle every time you step on the lawn.

I just rolled mine on Friday. You need just the right conditions where the soil is squishy enough to easily pack down but not so wet that you have no traction.
Are you getting these bumps as a result of frost? Does it really level your lawn well? What tractor do you pull that weight with?
Does it tear up the lawn much?

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
Are you getting these bumps as a result of frost? Does it really level your lawn well? What tractor do you pull that weight with?
Yes, massive frost heaves. It looks like someone stuck firecrackers in the ground all over the lawn. If I roll when the ground completely thaws and is a little "spungie" it does a fantastic job in one pass. The ground has to be just right. If it's too sloppy then the tractor will spin a lot.

I have an Ohio Steel 24x48" roller that weighs 920 lbs and I pull it with my X500. I used to pull it with my old JD 175 Hydro but had to be careful as I could easily get stuck on some of my slopes. But with the differential lock on the X500 I have no problems.

Friday's conditions were perfect. I was able to roll the entire yard without hardly spinning a tire. This roller has rounded corners on the drum so it doesn't tear up the lawn when making a sharp turn.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, massive frost heaves. It looks like someone stuck firecrackers in the ground all over the lawn. If I roll when the ground completely thaws and is a little "spungie" it does a fantastic job in one pass. The ground has to be just right. If it's too sloppy then the tractor will spin a lot.

I have an Ohio Steel 24x48" roller that weighs 920 lbs and I pull it with my X500. I used to pull it with my old JD 175 Hydro but had to be careful as I could easily get stuck on some of my slopes. But with the differential lock on the X500 I have no problems.

Friday's conditions were perfect. I was able to roll the entire yard without hardly spinning a tire. This roller has rounded corners on the drum so it doesn't tear up the lawn when making a sharp turn.
Sounds exactly like what I have!

What’s the weight I should go for and width?

What do you think of those poly (fill with water) types? At least I can drain and roll under the deck or something to store (I don’t have much space and don’t want to leave a massive roller sitting out all year....a one and done item each year I assume...

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
Sounds exactly like what I have!

What’s the weight I should go for and width?

What do you think of those poly (fill with water) types? At least I can drain and roll under the deck or something to store (I don’t have much space and don’t want to leave a massive roller sitting out all year....a one and done item each year I assume...
I assume you are planning to pull it with the X758? I would think a roller about the size and weight of mine would be fine. I'm even able to back up with mine to get into areas too tight to turn around. I didn't get a poly roller as you hear so many stories about them splitting or developing holes from running over stones. Although the metal ones seem to seep a bit of water too after a few years. Nothing that causes a problem. Mine is filled with water and I drain it each fall and give it a fresh coat of paint prior to storing it.

I use mine all season long. I have a gravel driveway and sometimes after a heavy rain it will need a bit of grading. After I'm done I run the lawn roller all over the driveway and parking area and it smooths and flattens the gravel and makes things really nice.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Hey

What do you do, if anything, in cold climate areas to deal with the frost heaving or bumps in the lawns, so that by July the lawns not a bumpy Safari Park?

Do you roll it when soft, aerate, or do you do anything?

Top dressing and leveling the bumps is too time consuming and hard work and raising the lawn over the patio level and path. Long term not good.
I do nothing as the freeze thaw cycle is nature's way of aerating the lawn for me. However, if you do choose to roll your lawn, use no more weight than absolutely necessary. Then core aerate it as soon as possible to undue the compaction from rolling.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The only thing I can find right now nearby is a Blue Hawk Steel Roller that is only 36 inches wide, it’ll weigh 300 lb with water or 450 lb with sand

He has a 48 inch also but a poly version

What do you suggest? (Guys that use these)

Is the 36” steel too narrow and not enough weight?

·
Super Moderator
7,914 Posts
Same here. Lots of settling and heaving on my property. Was noticing it yesterday as I was out cleaning up some downed branches and debris.

I can't use a roller as there are too many slopes and hills. I'd be afraid of tearing up the turf and causing more work requiring top dressing and reseeding.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Not sure where you are located in MA but Tractor Supply has their Ohio Steel brand 24x52 steel roller in stock at the Leominster, Taunton and Millbury stores. It's also available in Putnam, CT.

·
Registered
12,550 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not sure where you are located in MA but Tractor Supply has their Ohio Steel brand 24x52 steel roller in stock at the Leominster, Taunton and Millbury stores. It's also available in Putnam, CT.
Yep I can get to one

My lot is only a small 1/2 acre is the wider ones more difficult to maneauver? I see there’s a 36 inch also

Edit:
I see they have a 48 inch that when filled with water is 920 lb. that should do it.

Although it’s a tight enough lot I can go narrower if needed but I think the 48 being the width of the tires should be easier to judge

I hear you when you say you get about a week of ‘shiiiit I better roll today’ because that window doesn’t last long
That was a hesitancy getting this, because it’s a once a year item to buy is a drag but my lawn is a wreck with all the lumps and bumps
I can aerate right after to avoid compacting

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
Yep I can get to one

My lot is only a small 1/2 acre is the wider ones more difficult to maneauver? I see there’s a 36 inch also

Edit:
I see they have a 48 inch that when filled with water is 920 lb. that should do it.

Although it’s a tight enough lot I can go narrower if needed but I think the 48 being the width of the tires should be easier to judge

I hear you when you say you get about a week of ‘shiiiit I better roll today’ because that window doesn’t last long
That was a hesitancy getting this, because it’s a once a year item to buy is a drag but my lawn is a wreck with all the lumps and bumps
I would think with your X758 you want something close to the width of the tires. The weight of the tractor alone will leave tire marks when it is soft as even my little X500 does. By having the roller be as wide as the tractor it smooths out all the tire marks as I go.

I only have 0.58 acres with dips and hills and find the 50" very maneuverable. I have to be a wee bit careful when going down hill and then trying to turn as the weight of the roller will try to push the back end of my X500 sideways. I take it slow and try to think ahead so I don't get myself into any binds. It was much more difficult back when I had the 175 Hydro as it could get stuck easily. Now, with the diff lock on the X500 I can get myself out of a jam pretty easy.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts

I thought of your post earlier when I went to my burn pit to burn trash - about a 75 yard walk across the lawn.

Ankle breakers is right! And I am much more sesceptblle to ankle issues with my RA. All it takes is one little twist and I am using a cane for 3 days.

But it all settles down eventually on its own. And I’m not in the stage of life to be adding implements right now.....

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just ordered that steel 48” from the tractor store!
I’d rather not keep adding implements but these lumps come July when hard really irritate the crap out of me

Plus I see some lawn addition coming up later in fall where I could do with adding soil, leveling, and rolling flat not to mention rolling the grass seed into it

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I do nothing as the freeze thaw cycle is nature's way of aerating the lawn for me. However, if you do choose to roll your lawn, use no more weight than absolutely necessary. Then core aerate it as soon as possible to undue the compaction from rolling.
Considering the type of tractor and equipment you have listed in your signature, it sounds as if you have a well manicured lawn. I will say this over and over, do not roll unless absolutely necessary. However if you do, heed my previously posted advice. Rolling encourages soil compaction which is detrimental to a well manicured lawn. Air and water are vital to a healthy lawn.

That being said, I'm not telling you to not roll, but use no more weight than absolutely necessary to smooth out the lumps, making sure that the root system is in good contact with the soil. Just because a roller can weigh as much as 920 lbs, doesn't mean you should use that much. There are countless articles from professionals that support my theary. Attached is some good info that supports both sides of the issue. :read

My lawn has been the envy of the neighborhood for years. Just saying.

How To Roll Out A Grass Lawn - Gardening Know How

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
Considering the type of tractor and equipment you have listed in your signature, it sounds as if you have a well manicured lawn. I will say this over and over, do not roll unless absolutely necessary. However if you do, heed my previously posted advice. Rolling encourages soil compaction which is detrimental to a well manicured lawn. Air and water are vital to a healthy lawn.

That being said, I'm not telling you to not roll, but use no more weight than absolutely necessary to smooth out the lumps, making sure that the root system is in good contact with the soil. Just because a roller can weigh as much as 920 lbs, doesn't mean you should use that much. There are countless articles from professionals that support my theary. Attached is some good info that supports both sides of the issue. :read

My lawn has been the envy of the neighborhood for years. Just saying.

How To Roll Out A Grass Lawn - Gardening Know How
Good article. It recommends rolling for the frost heave condition. But... what the heck is THIS thing? I mean, I can see it is a roller but what is that weird long rod thing sticking out of it???????? :mocking:

Attachments

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Good point jgayman about manicured lawns.

Mine is just what turns green and grows enough to mow in the woods here. I have never rolled it and it all settles down eventually. I think the fact that I mow with my 2520 with loaded R4’s might be doing the smoothing of the heaves all by itself.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Good article. It recommends rolling for the frost heave condition. But... what the heck is THIS thing? I mean, I can see it is a roller but what is that weird long rod thing sticking out of it???????? :mocking:
I'm pretty sure that "stick thing" is the parking brake. You don't want that thing rolling off when you aren't looking. :laugh::laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
I'm pretty sure that "stick thing" is the parking brake. You don't want that thing rolling off when you aren't looking. :laugh::laugh:
That would definitely be an important feature because if I owned that it would always stay PARKED. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts